Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah based on last season, he gets that type of money easily - averaged most intercepts in the league and was still pretty solid defensively doing some great jobs for us. He’s no Steven May but he’d be in the top half of key defenders when fit.

Jon Ralph suggested some clubs were looking at offering him 800-900+ IIRC. He’s not worth that - but to a key position needy team and being the best available on the market - it’s a possibility.

He’s come back in pretty shocking form this year - hasnt meshed with Logue just yet and seems to lack effort or intensity a lot of the time. And reports came out about interest cooling, which is disappointing really, because I fear he’s made the decision to leave already and him checking out already has cost us a bit in compo and him a few 100k.
You’d imagine if another club was after him they would have already made him an offer . Wouldn’t imagine they would come back to him a month or so later and say ‘hey we think you’re not as good as originally thought , will take off 100,000, but hey come play for us’

You’d imagine if another club was after him they would have already made him an offer . Wouldn’t imagine they would come back to him a month or so later and say ‘hey we think you’re not as good as originally thought , will take off 100,000, but hey come play for us’
Yeah agreed - media make up the figures as they go - doubt any concrete figures get thrown around at this point by other clubs.

Daniher details:

“The trade all fell into place sweetly when Daniher’s lofty salary exceeded the $700,000-mark that was reportedly required for the free agency move to trigger a first round draft pick compensation for the Bombers.”

The original offer was supposedly $3mil over 5, but it was shortened to 3 on higher money to meet band 1 and he signed for another 2 on reduced money after joining Bris.

Daniher was also 27 when he moved, Mckay will be 25, which is also factored in.

Last edited:

Daniher details:

“The trade all fell into place sweetly when Daniher’s lofty salary exceeded the $700,000-mark that was reportedly required for the free agency move to trigger a first round draft pick compensation for the Bombers.”

The original offer was supposedly $3mil over 5, but it was shortened to 3 on higher money to meet band 1 and he signed for another 2 on reduced money after joining Bris.

Daniher was also 27 when he moved, Mckay will be 25, which is also factored in.
Basically you pay a bit more to keep your first rounder and let the compo take care of it for you. Silly not to, say McKay is worth 600x5 then to stop us matching and to keep us happy you'd be a fool not to pay him an extra 100k pa to keep your first rounder.
Imagine you could buy a first round pick for 100k salary cap, everyone would go for it.

Did someone say that Curtin has been playing in the midfield?

Is that just a bit of messing around or is he actually that versatile?

Did someone say that Curtin has been playing in the midfield?

Is that just a bit of messing around or is he actually that versatile?

I’m not sure what they are doing with him. Forward, back and now midfield. I think they are trying to highlight his versatility but why try to highlight it when he is never going to be a kid at AFL level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1: Reid
2: Watson
3: Curtin

Can’t see us finishing out of bottom 3 to miss one of them but if we do I’m taking Nate Caddy

Eagles should be trying to get Curtin with a slight trade down deal

Sleeping on Wilson I think.

Quick, very strong runner, racks up the footy, good over head and kicks goals.

If you’re not a fan of Bailey Scott I would have thought you’d be all over this guy

I’m not sure what they are doing with him. Forward, back and now midfield. I think they are trying to highlight his versatility but why try to highlight it when he is never going to be a kid at AFL level?
It does seem odd. For a casual like me it could influence my opinion. Like, "ooh, a 195cm KPD who can also play mid, so versatile". But I would think/hope that actual scouts would prefer to see him dominate in his best role.

I was the North recruiter for the Bigfooty Trial Phantom Draft. See below North’s picks. If you are interested to see what players are available there are some really good write ups in that thread.

We ended up with:
3: Nick Watson - Small Fwd/mid
15: Connor O’Sullivan - Key defender
40: Logan Morris - Key forward
53: Lance Collard - Half forward/Wing
54: Riley Weatherill - Key forward

Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Nick Watson - Eastern Ranges - 170cm & 69kg

North are simply in no position to be picking and choosing, when it comes to the top end of the draft we simply have to take best available.

Aptly nicknamed the ‘wizard’, Watson is everything that North are crying out for and more. He has dynamic movement, electric speed, agility and a whole heap of footy nous.

As a small forward he can kick goals from anywhere, and he is at home either crumbing the ball or marking on the lead. He plays the game with a bit of arrogance and flair, and will no doubt be a real entertainer.

This year he has transitioned up field more to show he isn’t just a one trick pony. Averaging more than 25 disposals per game, he has shown he can accumulate the footy and be a real threat through the midfield. He has excellent vision and finishing skills which means he is a real threat when distributing the ball forward of centre.

While small in stature he has more than enough tools and athletic traits to overcome this much talked about issue.

I expect where ever he ends up he’ll play plenty of AFL footy in 2024.

Pick 15 - North Melbourne - Connor O’Sullivan - Murray Bushrangers - 196cm & 85kg

There were a number of players I considered here, and while it may seem as a little bit of a reach to some, O’Sullivan has a tonne of upside to justify being taken inside the top 15. With North severely lacking developing talls, it also makes a lot of sense from a list management perspective.

O’Sullivan has an excellent athletic profile with some speed, a solid leap and good agility for his size. He also has a big frame, so he has the potential to be a big bodied key position player as he develops physically.

As a player he can play a variety of roles forward, back or even as a part time ruck. He looks most settled as a key defender where he can use his closing speed to impact contests. He has shown some ability to intercept, and it is an area of his game I’d expect to improve if he is allowed to settle in one position. He uses the ball well and had a neat set shot routine when playing forward.
Pick 40 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris - Western Jets - 191cm & 90kg

Personally, I have Morris well inside the top 30. So while it is a best available pick, it is also a pick for needs as North are desperate for developing talls.

It is well documented that Morris is only 191cm, and considered undersize for a key position player, but his body of work and consistent goal kicking form suggest there is more than enough talent to work with.

Morris plays the game as a traditional full forward, leading hard out of the square at the ball carrier. He has good game sense, timing, natural forward craft and attacks the footy with vigour. He has shown on many occasions that he also a contested marking threat. More importantly though, he is a consistent goal kicker. In his underage year he booted 39 goals in 18 games and he is looking like bettering that tally this year with 13 goals in only 4 matches. He made his VFL debut on the weekend and didn’t lower his colours kicking 2.1 from 4 marks playing as the deepest forward.

At AFL level I anticipate that he’ll end up somewhere between a Jack Darling or Tim Membrey style 2nd/3rd tall mobile key forward.

Pick 53 - North Melbourne - Lance Collard - Subiaco - 185cm & 68kg

If you are looking for X-factor Collard has it in spades. He has speed, agility and a whole bag of tricks when playing close to goal.

He is capable of rolling through the midfield, playing on a wing or playing a crumbing small forward. He is a nice kick of the footy and has really good vision that allows him to create scoring opportunities when kicking the ball inside 50.

Around goals, he can kick them from anywhere. Snaps, set shots and goals on the run all come very natural. He creates separation with good agility and a quick first few steps. While many opportunistic forwards tend to play a bit of a selfish game, Collard often brings his teammates into it with unselfish play.

While I really like him as a small forward, I project he has scope to play as a really damaging wingman due to his ability to run and carry and distribute inside 50. North are short on both creative wingers and goal kicking threats so Collard fits the bill for both. He’ll be a bit of a project players, but there is more than enough talent to work with.

Pick 54 - North Melbourne - Riley Weatherill - Eastern Ranges - 195cm & 88kg

A talk forward prospect who does the basics right. He is a nice mark and a has a neat set shot goal which is important for a key forward. At this stage he is a bit one dimensional, in the fact that he is very much a lead-mark-kick tall forward, but he does it consistently well, which is why he’ll be on many clubs radar later on in the draft.

With his frame, he has scope to be quite a solid lad which is also a positive. At this stage his contested marking and production needs improvement, but he has a decent athletic profile that will hold him in good stead in the big leagues.

Sleeping on Wilson I think.

Quick, very strong runner, racks up the footy, good over head and kicks goals.

If you’re not a fan of Bailey Scott I would have thought you’d be all over this guy
Yeah I’d love to pick up one of Wilson, McKercher or Freijah if we can’t get one of the top 3. Very good runners and users, just what we need.

I don’t think they’ll take him. They’ll ideally want a combination of the best WA kids Curtain, Tholstrup & Edwards.
Be interesting to see the offers they get for that number 1 pick, they’ll come thick and fast

I don’t think they’ll take him. They’ll ideally want a combination of the best WA kids Curtain, Tholstrup & Edwards.
Do you think that Reid is worth it?

I wouldn't trade Watson + picks for him. But say that we get Watson and we get top compo for McKay, would Reid be worth trading Curtin with other picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back