Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t watched yet but looking at the stats he had 16d, didn’t hit the scoreboard. Might have been on lower minutes, will watch during the week.

Seems that he played low game time. Talk of a hip issue.

Unless he comes out and brains next week it would seem implausible that the tigers take him at 1. Especially with Jagga being best on every week and again today.

Jagga has shown again he’s a damaging player despite some weird takes otherwise.

But will we take FOS at 2?

I’m taking him ahead of Langford, Lalor everyday of the week.

I’d take Draper if we were 100% he signs an extension early. But that seems unlikely.

So if we can’t split, FOS should be our man.

I suggest it is to do with the dills who are comparing him with Duursma. Watto is playing in a much better side with much better cohesion. They mean if Watto was at North a kick he wouldn’t get due to us being shites poor second cousin .
Which is as dumb as dog shit...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Corr ageing, Logue isn't a sure thing, Dawson 19, the other Dawson a back up, Al probably prefers Chom fwd...

Cheers for clearing that up. I'm more convinced but still think Logue, Corr, KDawson, W Dawson (developing), Biggie lol and Comben (when he's there due to other absences) is enough. Time for some CHF action and another throw at the pegs in the forward half at pick 40(47ish) IMO.

Cheers for clearing that up. I'm more convinced but still think Logue, Corr, KDawson, W Dawson (developing), Biggie lol and Comben (when he's there due to other absences) is enough. Time for some CHF action and another throw at the pegs in the forward half at pick 40(47ish) IMO.
We gave up an average of 111 ppg this season.

Can see plenty of reasons to develop another kpd. Whether we split 2 will be the deciding factor, I'd think.

Can see plenty of reasons to develop another kpd. Whether we split 2 will be the deciding factor, I'd think.

Yeah I hear ya... but how many game did Logue play? 2?

Corr was rubbish until the bye. Then good.

W Dawson was injured after 5 minutes but looked ok.

K Dawson has some weights to do but is a low risk medium reward sorta player.

Biggie has never played good football or looked like a footballer, trading for him was foolhardy, at best.

Chom looked brilliant but then not so brilliant. Good to know as I like him forward anyway and he's a terrific mark by any measure.

Biggie has never played good football or looked like a footballer, trading for him was foolhardy, at best.

Chom looked brilliant but then not so brilliant. Good to know as I like him forward anyway and he's a terrific mark by any measure.
Logue has an extensive injury history, that's why I said he can't be relied on until he proves that assertion wrong...

Dawson is a decent back up.

Will looks a beauty.

Chom is a great interceptor but is shithouse 1v1.

Armstrong strikes me as a player who might take 3 years to be the type of KPF that he will ultimately be, but in the meantime he'll do enough of the other stuff to justify a spot in the best 22 as a 3rd tall.

His work rate, the way that he attacks the ball and the speed of his second and third efforts are impressive. And he'll kick 2 or 3 goals every now and then.

And IF we split pick 2, the other deciding factor might be whether we have Comben pencilled in as a key forward sooner rather than later.

There will be some decent tall defenders available at our round 2 pick, and if we have 2x first rounders prior to that, then who knows, we may even double down on a couple of key forwards.

With Logue and Corr or W.Dawson then Chom can play the interceptor which suits him. Im not against him playing forward either.

you’re selling Aiden a little short. He was rubbish for the first 6 weeks.

Sorry, I was overseas earlier in the year and missed a huge part of the season.

I was trying to follow, wasn't easy, but actually didn't go to a single game this year.

First year since 1985 I missed in entirety so feel invested enough to pass comment.

Thought Corr was excellent by the end, fancy he'll be top 5 in the Syd when all said and done.

And IF we split pick 2, the other deciding factor might be whether we have Comben pencilled in as a key forward sooner rather than later.

There will be some decent tall defenders available at our round 2 pick, and if we have 2x first rounders prior to that, then who knows, we may even double down on a couple of key forwards.
If we split then hoping we get Armstrong + Berry and GMan with 22. Then pick up Rosas with a later pick.

If so without any extra additions we could be looking at our young team developing into something like:

Archer, Logue, Comben
Bergman, Dawson, Hardeman
Scott, Sheezel, Goater
McKercher, Gerreyn, Armstrong
Berry, Larkey, Curtis
Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw

With injuries most of these guys would play each week -->Powell, Zurhaar, RHJ, Duursma, Rosas, Simpkin, Stephens and Phillips
Then added depth of Fisher, Tucker, Maley, Teakle, Payne, Ford, Dawson and Goad.

If we dont split, then replace Berry with Draper. Zurhaar or Duursma for Armstong. But we may get a gun fwd in Ludowyke the following year, that would bring it back close to the above line up. In time Armstrong or Ludowyke can take over from Larkey and we'd still have Duursma to play a mobile 3rd tall. Chom has the wheels and intercept marking to be an aggressive rebounder 3rd tall.

Either way our list is looking pretty damn strong. We've just got to get them 4 quarter match hardened.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trainor could slide to pick 12. Saints are the only chance at 8 (Battle) if they get it.
But they may well trade that for Houston so the other pick they would take a mid.
Bombres don't really need that type. Freo if they keep one of 9/10 don't need him.
Blues might not have 11 if they go after Houston as well.

If we split then hoping we Armstrong, Berry and GMan. Then pick up Rosas with a later pick.

If so without any extra additions we could be looking at our young team developing into something like:

Archer, Logue, Comben
Bergman, Dawson, Hardeman
Scott, Sheezel, Goater
McKercher, Gerreyn, Armstrong
Berry, Larkey, Curtis
Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw

With injuries most of these guys would play each week -->Powell, Zurhaar, RHJ, Duursma, Rosas, Simpkin, Stephens and Phillips
Then added depth of Fisher, Tucker, Maley, Teakle, Payne, Ford, Dawson and Goad.

If we dont split, then replace Berry with Draper. Zurhaar or Duursma for Armstong. But we may get a gun fwd in Ludowyke the following year, that would bring it back close to the above line up. In time Armstrong or Ludowyke can take over from Larkey and we'd still have Duursma to play a mobile 3rd tall. Chom has the wheel and intercept marking to be an aggressive rebounder 3rd tall.

Either way our list is looking pretty damn strong. We've just got to get them 4 quarter match hardened.

I've been saying to my **** head Hawks mates for a while 2027 is looking good, we just have to get there in one piece. This spells is out!

Armstrong strikes me as a player who might take 3 years to be the type of KPF that he will ultimately be, but in the meantime he'll do enough of the other stuff to justify a spot in the best 22 as a 3rd tall.

His work rate, the way that he attacks the ball and the speed of his second and third efforts are impressive. And he'll kick 2 or 3 goals every now and then.
He’s the perfect pairing with Larkey & -imo- pretty much a must get. How far can we trade back & still get him? I’d almost take him at 3…

Still don’t get the Armstrong hype

I’d much rather shanahan as the better key forward

Would have both around the pick 7- 10 areas
Wouldn't be unhappy with either of them but why is Armstrong in the top 10 with Twomey and Jobe isn't?
My one query on both would be at their height 194/5cm are they both genuine key forwards or more the 2nd/3rd tall?
Like would Sims or Gerreyn be better options at their height (199cm) as a marking presence up forward vs these two?

Consensus seems to be Shanahan is a genuine key forward presence, perhaps he looks a bit more athletic but the testing says they are pretty similar athletically with Armstrong having the stronger yoyo.
You could make a case that Jack Whitlock is the best athletically and has more upside but looks a slight frame.

Armstrong kicked 5 in the champs final so that stands out and he's an accurate kick which I rate highly in a kpf.
Pretty good contested mark and sets up lots of goals for teammates with his field kicking.
Armstrong may be more of a Jezza Cameron or Matthew Lloyd lead up type but looks quicker to recover when the ball hits the deck from what I've seen.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jobe's ranking in September with his recent VFL form and Armstrong having a few quieter weeks until his most recent game where he kicked 4.

Last edited:
Well of course

I’m not going to lie I’m looking forward to the I told you so’s just like watto this time last year

Hopefully tho it’s with Smillie for us as opposed to dominating for another team

Watto would be doing sweet FA if he were playing for us right now. He'd be lucky to get his hands on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back