Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
do we get an extra 2 rookie spots to make that 3 rookie spots open? Or do we just keep the same number of rookie spots as this year? Meaning its only 1 rookie spot open? I think i have confused myself :think:
Those rookie spots are the extra ones we already have, currently filled by Turner and Howe. We have mahoney bonar Turner and howe all off contract but not delisted yet 2 rookie list 2 senior list.

4 pages of potential Reid proposals...seems like they are coming round to the fact that North will go hard.

I get their hesitation, I don't recall a single poster here advocating for the Adelaide JHF deal.

Good news for this board, Reid is a 'nice to have' from our perspective, so what will be, will be, is the approach I'm taking.

2, 14, and 19, or F19 will be what departs, but I think 1 and 33 or F2 is what comes back.

I don’t get the hype. His 21 disposals is the starting point on the conversation. Let’s dissect at high level. Disposal efficiency poor. Decision making poor. No big marks.
ZZ is 196cm. Too small for a ruck. Could he be a KPD? Maybe. What am I not seeing?
Upside
  • Athletic
  • Looks like a good competitor
  • Ruck craft, but it is u18

Pick 10 will be Pick 13 after Mckay compo, Walter and Read bid. None of the top 10 players will be there then. Not Sanders, Watson, Caddy or O'Sullivan. Could possibly get Murphy.

By the same token, none of the top 20 players will be there at '19'

What difference does that make if a petulant young player decides to up and leave after a year with a suitor that offers big cash on a long term deal. Reality is higher end of the draft think they can dictate terms when everyone else would rather just get on a list anywhere. It’s a national comp ffs, how about sitting out a year if you decide to walk out after 1 year unless mutually agreeable to club and player!

Pick 2
Pick 3 compo
Pick 5 - 14 and 19 Gold Coast
Pick 6 - salary dump plus f19 giants
Pick 7 - not sure who has it but trade for our future 1st next year

Thoughts?

That should make the other clubs happy
Would never trade a future 1st especially in our position!!

Dunno who GWS would throw in a salary dump for their 6...Nick Haynes? Do we want a 31 yo as good as he is...Leek Aleer isn't worth of letting go of #6...don't see many GWS players wanting out now their premiership window look's like it's reopened again.

Would WC be into Mitchell Edwards ?
I would if l was WCE!!
Curtain (KPD), Hardeman (MID), Tholstrup (MF), Edwards(R), Hall (MID) have been the top WA kids with a few bolting in recently in Collard(SF) and Sanchez (SF)

If Edwards slips to our #19, l would definitely go for him since Goldie has gone and J.Edwards delisted..dunno about Zombie as ruck. So having X and Free (should he be alleviated) with M.Edwards learning the craft would solve the future ruck issues.

If Moir slips down he'd be good too but we've got too many midfwd's at the moment but that kid Lual could hold down HBF, if he got George Stevens those two seem to have a great connection and George Stevens is the epitome of a big body mid...again, probably don't need another big bodied mid.

Pick 2
Pick 3 compo
Pick 5 - 14 and 19 Gold Coast
Pick 6 - salary dump plus f19 giants
Pick 7 - not sure who has it but trade for our future 1st next year

Thoughts?

That should make the other clubs happy
Gaff salary dump for pick 1, after we acquired all the picks then speak to dodo about TT leaving for two top fives, sit back and laugh when he figures it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would never trade a future 1st especially in our position!!

Dunno who GWS would throw in a salary dump for their 6...Nick Haynes? Do we want a 31 yo as good as he is...Leek Aleer isn't worth of letting go of #6...don't see many GWS players wanting out now their premiership window look's like it's reopened again.
Gws's pick 6 is similar to GC pick#7 to Geelong last season...Pick#6 is what we want and taking Haynes would be ok as back up in case someone go injured...

l agree with not giving up our F1 however if we need to increase what is on offer to get Pick#5 or Pick#6 then we also still have our F2 and Future pick20 to toss in just in case they are needed.

Going into the draft with #2, #3, #5 and #6 would be unreal...

We might even try for the Hawks Pick#4 by offering Pick#5 and our 2024 Future pick #20 and increase our hand from
2,3,5,6, into

I would if l was WCE!!
Curtain (KPD), Hardeman (MID), Tholstrup (MF), Edwards(R), Hall (MID) have been the top WA kids with a few bolting in recently in Collard(SF) and Sanchez (SF)

If Edwards slips to our #19, l would definitely go for him since Goldie has gone and J.Edwards delisted..dunno about Zombie as ruck. So having X and Free (should he be alleviated) with M.Edwards learning the craft would solve the future ruck issues.

If Moir slips down he'd be good too but we've got too many midfwd's at the moment but that kid Lual could hold down HBF, if he got George Stevens those two seem to have a great connection and George Stevens is the epitome of a big body mid...again, probably don't need another big bodied mid.

This tells me that Clarko has found another player from another club for our ruck division but is keeping it quiet...

I have always looked at how the media and broader football world talk about us vs how they talk about the other smallish clubs such as W.B, STK, Melb. Those clubs largely avoid the level of vitriol we do, it isn't close either. Even in Melbourne's s**t period, there were no real calls to relocate them.

If it's the choice of sitting down, shutting up, 'knowing our place' and playing it safe vs daring to stand up, innovate, make noise about inequality and aggressively try to pursue success I know which option I choose. We're the only one of the small Melbourne clubs that does the latter and for that we will always be in the crosshair.
We have been significantly more successful over the last 50 years too.

The AFL love nothing more than a managed outcome.

We know there have been discussions between West Coast and other clubs, including us, around trading pick 1.

I'd bank on the two 2024 compensation first rounders that we have to trade this year are going to West Coast with pick 2 to get us pick 1.

We get top pick, the AFL sneakily help West Coast knowing their list is an absolute mess and the whole Reid not wanting to leave Victoria issue is solved.

I'd put the farm on it. Reid to North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back