Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

All posturing off the table: I reckon if you blokes offered us 2 + 15 + future first for 1 + future second, it would get the job done.

We need to draft good players over the next few years, you want the best player in the draft + your own high picks.

Both sides could probably claim to come out as the "winners" of the trade in the above scenario.

2 and 3 not enough for pick one now….. and posturing was off the table!

I know the bloke is a clickbait douche bag, but he wouldn't be saying this stuff without getting info from someone who is relatively connected. All part of a bigger game being played.

It's an interesting watch.
At this time of year, I'm not entirely sure that info needs to come from someone who is relatively connected. All of these "journalists" are having to publish content and with very few clubs willing to reveal their hand, the only way to meet deadlines is to make shit up.

Except your post was directed at me as shown by beginning the sentence with 'You' while quoting me and suggesting I should 'know better.'

It was directly at me, not others.

Just admit you were looking for a reason to be condescending for some reason and move on.
Honestly wasn’t aimed at you, especially in a condescending manner.

I read the continuing Collard discussion here, searched your post out, because I know of your links, and figured if anyone’s word carried weight on this board in regards to the draft, it is yours.

At this time of year, I'm not entirely sure that info needs to come from someone who is relatively connected. All of these "journalists" are having to publish content and with very few clubs willing to reveal their hand, the only way to meet deadlines is to make s**t up.
Precisely. Listened to Jon Ralph on the radio last night and he pretty much confirmed this but said how well trade articles do with hits (therefore $$$) so they pump them out all year long, even when it's a relatively boring trade period like this one. The key with these articles is how many people are clicking on them, not the accuracy. Success is not getting it right, it's how many clicks it generates.

Not commentating on whether this is right or wrong as it's just the way the world is but it does reflect on the consumer who falls for these headlines, manufactured stories left right and centre. Same applies to news.com.au and their hyperbolic headlines, choice of photos (anything involving a young woman regardless of the story they'll find the sexiest photo they can rather than a head shot, which is definitely a moral issue when it relates to certain types of crimes).

Give them pick 3 along with 15 and call it a deal for pick 1 and possibly some late change like a future or current 3rd or 4th. If that's not enough, I wouldn't hesitate to give them the other Future 1st PP.

Essentially worst case:

North Give: Pick 3, 15 and 2024 PP End of First Round pick (early 20's).
North Get: Pick 1 and 2024 3rd Round Pick (late 30's-early 40's)

WC Give: Pick 1 and 2024 3rd Round Pick (late 30's - early 40's)
WCE Get: Pick 3, 15 and 2024 PP End of First Round Pick (Tied to NM)

I'm assuming if that went through, we also have a gentleman's agreement that NMFC do not draft Curtin at pick 1 or pick 2.

West Coast come up approx. 750 draft "points" to the good if you want to look at it that way.

Souup someone has hacked your account....a couple hours back you said Curtin and Mckercher....what's changed? Or did I misread it? Thread moves so bloody fast

Questions were slightly different - one was what do I think we will do, the other was what I would do.

I think:
Mckercher + Curtin

I would do:
Watson + Mckercher/Sanders/Duursma

All posturing off the table: I reckon if you blokes offered us 2 + 15 + future first for 1 + future second, it would get the job done.

We need to draft good players over the next few years, you want the best player in the draft + your own high picks.

Both sides could probably claim to come out as the "winners" of the trade in the above scenario.
I agree with this, pretty reasonable trade, but I think the media have played it up so much, this "2&3 for 1" garbage....your supporters haven't helped on here either.
Personally I think it'll be 3+ the pics you mentioned. With the proviso we don't take Curtin.

Last edited:

When you say future first I assume you mean remaining future first priority pick?

Harley Reid
Jed Walter
Colby McKercher
Zane Duursma
Daniel Curtin
Nick Watson
Ryley Sanders
Ethan Read
Connor O’Sullivan
Nate Caddy
Jake Rogers
Darcy Wilson
Ollie Murphy
Jordan Croft
Caleb Windsor
Koltyn Tholstrup
James Leake
Riley Hardeman
Will McCabe
Harry De Mattia
Archie Roberts
Arie Schoenmaker
Tew Jiath
George Stevens
Archer Reid
Charlie Edwards
Mitchell Edwards
Will Green
Lance Collard
Luamon Lual
Cooper Simpson
Logan Morris
Ashton Moir
Joel Freijah
Zane Zakostelsky
Angus Hastie
Koen Sachez
Caiden Cleary
Clay Hall
Jack Delean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this, pretty reasonable trade, but I think the media have played it up so much, this "2&3 for 1" garbage....your supporters haven't helped on here either.
Personally I think it'll be 3+ the pics you mentioned. Wit the proviso we don't take Curtin.
If you're adamant Eagles are taking Curtin, why not just make it pick 2?

No proviso needed, and Roos look more generous

If you're adamant Eagles are taking Curtin, why not just make it pick 2?

No proviso needed, and Roos look more generous
Yeah look possible.....but I think 2 and all that collateral doesn't look great on our end either. But maybe you are right, there's the small issue that I'm guessing, as I assume you are too.
We might not know who Eagles are actually taking though, so this is insurance on our behalf I guess. Who's to say there's an ironclad agreement that the Eagles don't then on-trade 2.
There's be a fair bit of honesty you would assume, between the 2 parties.

So we've essentially traded out FPP1, FPP2, Pick 44

For Dylan Stephens, Pick 18 & Pick 25.

Not bad business.

Dunno about helping Melbourne get pick 11 though. That puts them in the running for #1
We didn't. We basically traded our other future assistance pick for GC's pick 18. The other two are separate.

Dunno about helping Melbourne get pick 11 though. That puts them in the running for #1

I don't think so, they gave up a fair bit to move 14 to 11. Is 6 and 11 going to tempt anything if 6 and 14 couldn't?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back