Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of which side you sit on the Curtin/Duursma battle, it’s a shocking look if our coach is trying to override our recruiters.

Offer an opinion. Challenge. Ultimately let them do their job.

I can offer this... we've been absolutely airtight this year, even last year. The only way this particular story could be legitimate and coming out is via the coach and I don't think any of us can imagine that's true.

Taking Curtin really depends on Melbourne as they are also interested in him. We need to try to pry their pick #6 first and if by chance they dont take Curtin then go to GWS and then the cats. No point starting at GWS if Melbourne want him..

Well I am pessimistic or maybe I am realistic. I feel for nn and I hope he is ok, he banged on for 10 years about our need for speed.

I love what we've done the last few years, have no issue with the 17,18,18 17 finishes.

But I want to see these guys not playing for us on a regular basis.

Powell
Phillips
Stephenson
Tucker
CCJ
Xerri
Archer
Harvey
Taylor
Drury
Lazzaro

Yes a couple could make it, but most likely won't. Would be interesting to see how many games that lot played over the last 4 years.
Also realise most didn't cost much at the draft table.

We shall see on that lot. My view is that barring injuries, Xerri will have a break out year next year, while Powell and Phillips will show us why we drafted them when we did. Powell will play 200 games, if not with us, somewhere. Xerri no longer has the shadow of Goldy lurking in the background (sadly) and he can now make the number 1 ruckman spot his own.

Taking Curtin really depends on Melbourne as they are also interested in him. We need to try to pry their pick #6 first and if by chance they dont take Curtin then go to GWS and then the cats. No point starting at GWS if Melbourne want him..
Melbourne would take Duursma before Curtin without even blinking

I can offer this... we've been absolutely airtight this year, even last year. The only way this particular story could be legitimate and coming out is via the coach and I don't think any of us can imagine that's true.
Or it's coming via the club. We seem to want others to think we want Curtin.

IMO that is scare WC into a Reid trade, or it could be for another reason.

But we have been air tight, so this strikes me as purposeful leaking.

Or it's coming via the club. We seem to want others to think we want Curtin.

IMO that is scare WC into a Reid trade, or it could be for another reason.

But we have been air tight, so this strikes me as purposeful leaking.

I can buy that. Last ditch for Reid makes sense.

It is a MOCK draft. He just makes it up to sell clicks for his employer. There will be a few he gets right and they will claim he has Nostradamus like powers of prediction. On the other hand, the misses will be ignored and forgotten.
If he gets a few right then surely he
Sleevo
Ford
P Curtis
Laz
Harvey
Drury
Hansen
Taylor
B George
Powell *

How many more mid forwards do ppl want? You can play max three of them 😂
Some AFL standard ones would be useful, not the sh*tmen versions.

Regardless of which side you sit on the Curtin/Duursma battle, it’s a shocking look if our coach is trying to override our recruiters.

When Clarko first addressed the players he did say that he wanted players who would be there when it came to getting to finals and win a premiership so naturally Brady and the recruiters would be on the same page. If Clarko sees something in Curtin surely the recruiters will need to get him the players he believes he needs to achieve what he feels the club needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a real genuine big balls play here.

Trade the F1 for GWS' #8 & F1

Trade #17 & #18 for #12

#2 McKercher
#3 Duursma
#8 Curtin
#12 Leake
#15 Wilson

Bank on a bit of a bump next season & maybe a GWS hangover. Downgrade the 1st next year but get 5 of the first 15 this year. Ooh
I would take that every day of the week, but I suspect GWS would not.

When Clarko first addressed the players he did say that he wanted players who would be there when it came to getting to finals and win a premiership so naturally Brady and the recruiters would be on the same page. If Clarko sees something in Curtin surely the recruiters will need to get him the players he believes he needs to achieve what he feels the club needs.
I agree that they’re on the same page to select players they think believe will be premiership players.

I don’t agree that a coach who has watched a fraction of the footage recruiters have, should be making final draft decisions.

There's a real genuine big balls play here.

Trade the F1 for GWS' #8 & F1

Trade #17 & #18 for #12

#2 McKercher
#3 Duursma
#8 Curtin
#12 Leake
#15 Wilson

Bank on a bit of a bump next season & maybe a GWS hangover. Downgrade the 1st next year but get 5 of the first 15 this year. Ooh
Whatever the permutations, we can afford to give up our F1 for that kind of haul - it's almost 3 year's worth of drafts.

I've been carrying on about Mitch Edwards and Darcy Wilson all year and if we somehow manage to snag both of them with late 1st round picks in addition to Mckercher and Duursma...

Should also add that I've been a fan of Oscar Ryan who Twomey linked us with using a late selection.

I'm assuming Freijah killed someone and I don't know about it.
What’s an Oscar Ryan
And if we don’t take a ruck with our 5 first rounders is there one likely to be at pick 57

Just a list spot reminder we have 6 picks in the ND atm pre any pick upgrades/swaps

7 list spots to fill across the senior and rookie list (or might leave 1 spare for SSP and have train ons)
We might put logue on LTI list

Might have the clubs blessings for all we know

Will Clarko get his way?

An emerging story in the days before the draft has been North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson’s clear interest in Daniel Curtin. After spending a portion of his break away from the Kangaroos this year scouting prospects, Clarkson has been in regular contact with Curtin - and after travelling to Perth for TV host James Brayshaw’s wedding took the chance to visit the WA talent in Cottesloe for over two hours. The Herald Sun declared Clarkson “has fallen in love” with the key defender/midfielder. But with the Kangaroos’ recruiting staff strongly interested in Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma, would the master coach be able to change their minds? Or, if they don’t want to select Curtin with pick 2 or 3, could the Kangaroos use their three late first-rounders to move back up and nab him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back