Opinion 2023 Player X vs Y vs Z

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunkley covered by Windhager for now.
Clarry! Is the f#$&n headache!
Playing for cash leagues. 5 trades with completed team.

X - Just trade Clarry to a premium mid OR…
Y - Sharp to Cuningham/Forgarty, one covers for Clarry and future injuries OR…
Z - Oliver/Windhager to Walsh/Mills. Mill becomes M9 and cover for Mid/For injuries….

Couldn't be any worse than most of the current ones.

I tried about 8 over the preseason, most were shockers. Not so much what they were saying, but they didn't have the voices for it. Might be the gear used sometimes though.

Can't remember which one, should have been called Supercoach Um, cause every third word was "Um". And laughing at their own jokes seemed popular (bit of a trigger for me though tbh). One bloke was recommending starting picks based on a dream he'd had 🤣

I'll subscribe if you do one though :thumbsu:

At the start of the year I made a thread on going into content creation in this space, it was my observation that a lot of people are starting a podcast in SC/Fantasy because they like it but honestly many of them won't make it because they don't have much to offer above existing providers, they're not entertainers and they don't have the history of performance to make them worthwhile listening to.

As someone who use to consume heaps I realised that a big part of how I did in any given year was determined on who's advice I was listening to - if I couldn't watch all the games I had to trust that who I was taking advice from was, and was interpreting it well. Lead to a couple of years where I was more casual where I just had really poor results because I was listening to too many podcasts which then inevitably meant I was listening to some that had pretty poor advice, leading to poor decisions.

I'm also at the point where I feel the pressure to perform too much as well, I've had a good year this year (so far), but haven't been able to enjoy it because I'm more aware that people trust me to give the same good advice I was seeking years ago, and being able to execute that well is just as important as finishing well myself.

At the start of the year I made a thread on going into content creation in this space, it was my observation that a lot of people are starting a podcast in SC/Fantasy because they like it but honestly many of them won't make it because they don't have much to offer above existing providers, they're not entertainers and they don't have the history of performance to make them worthwhile listening to.

As someone who use to consume heaps I realised that a big part of how I did in any given year was determined on who's advice I was listening to - if I couldn't watch all the games I had to trust that who I was taking advice from was, and was interpreting it well. Lead to a couple of years where I was more casual where I just had really poor results because I was listening to too many podcasts which then inevitably meant I was listening to some that had pretty poor advice, leading to poor decisions.

I'm also at the point where I feel the pressure to perform too much as well, I've had a good year this year (so far), but haven't been able to enjoy it because I'm more aware that people trust me to give the same good advice I was seeking years ago, and being able to execute that well is just as important as finishing well myself.

I think you're right about listening to too many opinions. I definitely made that mistake at the start of this year. I've got it back to just you guys and DRSC now. You have a good mix of banter and serious talk.

I can imagine there is a lot of pressure playing so publicly. Don't envy you there at all. Noticed Jord's sort of apologising on one of his video's a while back about bad advice, felt bad for him as he's just giving his opinion. We all choose to listen or not, it's not you guys fault if things go wrong (everyone gets picks wrong every year anyway).

The amount of pods is an interesting topic. They mentioned on DRSC this week how they are finding SC very difficult/competitive this year. I'd say the plethora of podcasts now available is a huge reason for that. The casual player gets funneled into better picks just by listening to a few pods before the season starts, making teams much more similar/competitive. I feel like the margin for error is much smaller than it was when I started playing 6-7 years ago.

Cuningham

Whattayareckon?

Am I missing something in the Cuningham vs Fogarty debate? Maybe some kind of JS/duplication issue in the Bluws team for Fogarty?

With both having DPP & their prices being almost identical, Fogarty has outscored DC#2 both weeks, has had greater TOG, tackles more and kicked less goals so far to have that score bump that likely won't come as much with Carlton's upcoming fixture.

Thoughts from Carlton supporters here?

Last edited:
Mills vs Himmelberg.

Need to trade Fyfe instead of MJ now, so lose the DPP with fwds.
Piggy and Dunks on bench.
Playing for league, sitting second.

I much prefer Mills and HHs scoring has been very underwhelming.
But he opens the fwd/mid link which opens the fwd/ruck link, plus enhancing the fwd/def link.
Team below, any other ideas?
Cheers in advance you mob!

IMG_0028.png

I think you're right about listening to too many opinions. I definitely made that mistake at the start of this year. I've got it back to just you guys and DRSC now. You have a good mix of banter and serious talk.

I can imagine there is a lot of pressure playing so publicly. Don't envy you there at all. Noticed Jord's sort of apologising on one of his video's a while back about bad advice, felt bad for him as he's just giving his opinion. We all choose to listen or not, it's not you guys fault if things go wrong (everyone gets picks wrong every year anyway).

The amount of pods is an interesting topic. They mentioned on DRSC this week how they are finding SC very difficult/competitive this year. I'd say the plethora of podcasts now available is a huge reason for that. The casual player gets funneled into better picks just by listening to a few pods before the season starts, making teams much more similar/competitive. I feel like the margin for error is much smaller than it was when I started playing 6-7 years ago.

Which I guess means we should be encouraging more podcasts get made so the quality of advice drops. DRSC, SC Insider and Moreiras Magic are the three I listen to if I get time.

I'm not sure I found it harder this year, but that just might be a function of doing 'okay' or the rules not having a major change/effect from COVID - FTTV has 3 of the top 5 overall I believe and we've kind of run rough shot on leagues which might be why as well. There is definitely less of an edge over casuals though, podcasts have done a good job closing the gap on that

Am I missing something in the Cuningham vs Fogarty debate? Maybe some kind of JS/duplication issue in the Bluws team for Fogarty?

With both having DPP & their prices being almost identical, Fogarty has outscored DC#2 both weeks, has had greater TOG, tackles more and kicked less goals so far to have that score bump that likely won't come as much with Carlton's upcoming fixture.

Cunners will play every game if fit

Fogarty is one bad game from being dropped

So what do you value more?

Cerra I really like but bit concerned he doesn't have the runs on the board like Petracca/is he a VC/C option. Love it as a POD though
I wouldn't trust him and a VC/C option either but if you're confident in your other promos, it might not matter as much.

But if you need another reliable option, Petrecca is the better choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Oliver is well and truly out for a couple more, these are my options and thoughts.

Josh Kelly
I reckon he’s got the highest upside out of these 3, but the injury history spooks me. Also a bit weary of also having Green, Briggs & Coniglio.

Christian Petracca
Most logical swap with Oliver, but does he cop more attention with (if) Oliver is out?

Touk Miller
If I go down this path, I could wait a week for him to drop, assuming he plays this week. This will also allow me to do Oliver + Day to Sicily + Miller next week, instead of relying on Day to hit ~110+ to make enough to swap to Sicily next week.

MIDs that I currently own:
Dawson & Day

Bontempelli, Oliver, Merrett, Laird, Neale, Brayshaw, Green & Walsh

Dunkley, Taranto, Gulden, Rozee, Macrae & Coniglio

Last edited:
If Oliver is well and truly out for a couple more, these are my options and thoughts.

Josh Kelly
I reckon he’s got the highest upside out of these 3, but the injury history spooks me. Also a bit weary of also having Green, Briggs & Coniglio.

Christian Petracca
Most logical swap with Oliver, but does he cop more attention with (if) Oliver is out?

Touk Miller
If I go down this path, I could wait a week for him to drop, assuming he plays this week. This will also allow me to do Oliver + Day to Sicily + Miller next week, instead of relying on Day to hit ~110+ to make enough to swap to Sicily next week.

Dawson & Day

You have the exact same midfield as me.

I’m taking Petracca. I consider him like the Bont in that us is generally pretty untaggable (as he can drag his opponent forward). I think Oliver helps him.

Wise words. It’s supposed to be fun.

Josh Kelly

Christian Petracca

Touk Miller

Dawson & Day

I’m looking at something with Miller and Sic next week.

Cuningham is a lock for best 22 if fit (its a big if). Fogarty is one bad game away from being dropped.

I'm not looking at that price currently, but if I was to pick one it would be Cuningham 100% (and just run the risk of injury).

Josh Kelly

Christian Petracca

Touk Miller

Dawson & Day

He's already been without Oliver for five games and has averaged 125 in that time – I wouldn't worry. Could've averaged a whole lot more if he wasn't one of the most diabolical kicks at goal in AFL history, too. So just be prepared for that frustration lol.

Previous answers in this thread sum it up, and I'd concur - DC should play, if fit, and has talent.

In addition, I think all Carlton fans have serious question marks over our selection policies this year. We might not all agree on what should be happening, but we almost all agree Voss and co have thrown up some baffling choices, so any player outside a core few feels like they have dicey JS.

The other problem is that because its only an Australian game you are never going to garner enough subscribers to make it a going concern monetarily. So you really have to want to do it for the love of the game.

Im a big consumer of SC podcastes, and for the record, i reckon the Tuesday nights when the 3 of you get together is the most useful out of all them - so i hope you stick with it.

Josh Kelly

Christian Petracca

Touk Miller

Dawson & Day

Petracca has Nth, Blues & Hawks during finals. 👌

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back