Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

That is true that he is better but I wouldn’t say vastly. Wce didn’t think so. He suits todays footy. He also suited footy 5 years ago. Anyway I’d rather Marshall now even if it is just the age. I doubt ww would have both whatever happened. Strangely the improvement in hickey isn’t hitting the red ball more it’s even more stats which was a strength anyway.

At the time i thought they had got an offer for Hickey, and figured that Longer , whith Ro coming through and Pierce as backup would be good enough.
I figure if someone had given an offer for Longer, they'd have similarly kept Hickey.
Surely they didn't know that both Longer and Pierce were 1 game away from retirement.

Absolutely, but it would appear some have taken umbrage at a fans views that doesn't align with their own based on claiming some sought of exclusivity over watching some training which is a little wierd. I'll save myself for when the real stuff starts at R1.
At least 5 plus people report on training on here, so much for exclusivity:rolleyes:. You said space was a myth, I pointed out it wasn't in actual play (not in imagination) you get pissy snarky, and bItchy because your world view has been challenged by facts.
modi's opperandi according a couple of PM's I got about you. Said I wouldn't get sucked into a trolling vortex, but there you go.
Bye noddy. Gawn

Turns out Gresh finished the year ranked 102nd in the comp for turnovers. Averaging just 3.83 per game. Almost a full 3 per game less than Bailey Smith, who led that stat.

And given the fact he was 60th for disposals per game, being ranked 102 for turnovers means that on a turnover-per-disposal basis, a huge chunk of the comp are ahead of him in that regard.

Also worth noting that we didn’t have anyone in the top 25 for turnovers per game (compared to say Melbourne, who had 3 of the top 16, and 4 of the top 25 (Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca) and only one in the top 55. Who surprisingly was Sincs, at 27.
Also worth noting that despite him being ranked at 60 for disposals he sits at 102 for effective disposals which says a lot

Sinclair sits at 9

So whilst he doesn't have a huge percentage of turnovers his ineffective disposals is quite high

Depends what stat you choose to focus on I guess but the eye test tells me he is a very ordinary kick in the middle

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few turnovers if he was trying to kick drops punts onto our forwards tut, but more times than not it's a panicked mongrel punt that often hits the ground before a forward can lay a hand on it

Also worth noting that despite him being ranked at 60 for disposals he sits at 102 for effective disposals which says a lot

Sinclair sits at 9

So whilst he doesn't have a huge percentage of turnovers his ineffective disposals is quite high

Depends what stat you choose to focus on I guess but the eye test tells me he is a very ordinary kick in the middle

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few turnovers if he was trying to kick drops punts onto our forwards tut, but more times than not it's a panicked mongrel punt that often hits the ground before a forward can lay a hand on it

You really need to compare him with other inside mids though.

You really need to compare him with other inside mids though.
It's not as though he's getting massive contested numbers though. He averaged around 10 a game which is more of an inside/outside mid

Funnily enough though his effeciency is behind the of Cripps, Neale, Oliver, Petracca anyway, who all have massive contested numbers

As I said though, I'm much more interested in the eye test rather than looking at how many turnovers or effective kicks a player has

There are some very good kicks that seem to get more turnovers than others, possibpy because they are taking more daring kicks that can be cut off but if they pay off can also result scoring

I think if there was a stat for how many kicks hit the ground before a player gets a hand on it Gresh would be right up there

Sinclair sits at 9

You'd probably find an inside extractor mid would generally have less effective disposals than a HBF though. One is driving through heavy traffic and the other is roaming free in space. I still think it becomes a perception that is hard to shake. I watched Billings with a Tigers mate and watching with a fresh set of eyes telling me how good he was made me realise how biased I am. Once you have a negative POV, it's hard to see anything else.

On the topic of our most dynamic midfielder, call me crazy but I think that in-form Zak Jones is the one. His best games are absolutely first class and the closest thing we have to Stuv, but for all sorts of reasons he has not been able to get any continuity.
Strongly disagree. Jones is an absolute butcher and if he isn't turning it over it's hard to notice him having any positive impact on the game. He acts like a hard nut but rarely will you see him willingly put his body in harms way.
The quicker our midfield has enough quality to phase him out the better.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Sinclair sits at 9

You know what the best stat is on all footballers of the memory is good enough. The eye. I think gresh is a very good player but his kicking can be hurried and sometimes ordinary. I could find a stat that said I look like Ryan gosling.

Strongly disagree. Jones is an absolute butcher and if he isn't turning it over it's hard to notice him having any positive impact on the game. He acts like a hard nut but rarely will you see him willingly put his body in harms way.
The quicker our midfield has enough quality to phase him out the better.

Its not hard at all, just watch replays of his games. You're just saying that to prove some sort of point without providing any sort of proof or understanding of why.

You know what the best stat is on all footballers of the memory is good enough. The eye. I think gresh is a very good player but his kicking can be hurried and sometimes ordinary. I could find a stat that said I look like Ryan gosling.

The eye and human mind are very unreliable. You see what you want to see and are very suggestible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like noone went to training today
stolen from saintsational courtesy of BM

Held by players and dev coaches Carroll, BJ and Batchelor

Watching on from Balcony:Lyon, Enright, Rath, Harvey and Hayes

2hrs

Small drill rotation
Ball movement drill
Kick out drill
Match sim

Full Training
1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 42, 43, 44, 45,

Modified (Running Laps, Drill, Weights, Bikes, Pool)
3, 6, 12, 26, 27, 28, 36, 38, 39, 40, 41, 47

Not present
18, 30

King was taped up and did some small drills at the start
47 looks well put together
Sincs took most of the kick ins (Nas and Leo some)
Coffield, Gresham, Crouch, Hill, Sincs, Stocker, Marshall, Clark, Nas, Wilkie
We’re the stand outs
Some nice things done by Phillipou and Van Es

The eye and human mind are very unreliable. You see what you want to see and are very suggestible.
Stats are about 10 times worse. You can find a stat to prove a point but watching the game gives you the real idea. Our midfield is a perfect example. Stats for our big 3 are very good compared to most midfields but unfortunately stats don’t tell you how similar players are or if they have the ability to play elsewhere. I heard today that all midfields were ranked by the herald sun but unfortunately I didn’t hear any rankings. Is there somewhere to see it and I understand it’s only one persons opinion but still be interesting to see. I also gather it’s rated on what may happen this year not what happened last year.

You make some really good points, the only thing about your summation that you don’t factor in is poor decision making, which has been an issue with numerous players.
Some players simply bite off too much with their kicks which result in turnovers.
Webster and Howard have butchered plenty of kicks out of defensive 50.
Hill also gets a bit too cute with some of his kicking, Ross tends to send half floating helicopter kicks into forward 50.
Jones tends to back pedal or run around in circles, which totally confuses his teammates!
The problem has been that players have lacked accountability since the boss left..not so now he’s back!!
I think Seb was vastly improved last year though. In his overall game but Espescially his kicking. IMO Sinclair is the cleanest most composed kick in the afl and then we have other guys either a rung below or kicks who bite off more then they can shee. For instance if Doug had Wilkies risk aversion with his kicking we’d be much better placed. It’s about having the right guys kicking. Hence Nas at Hb. It’s why I’d love to see connoly , I think he’d take a lot of pressure off Sincs.

Stats are about 10 times worse. You can find a stat to prove a point but watching the game gives you the real idea. Our midfield is a perfect example. Stats for our big 3 are very good compared to most midfields but unfortunately stats don’t tell you how similar players are or if they have the ability to play elsewhere. I heard today that all midfields were ranked by the herald sun but unfortunately I didn’t hear any rankings. Is there somewhere to see it and I understand it’s only one persons opinion but still be interesting to see. I also gather it’s rated on what may happen this year not what happened last year.

Once upon a time i subscribed to the HUN. Mainly for their footy stuff. It didn't cost much.
Then the covered the Duthy incident by alleging things that didn't happen ( ffs they made it sound like a team orgy had happened ) and over sensationalising the whole thing to the detriment of the team.

For instance , she wasn't enrolled at School when Armo and Gilbert met her. The HUN made it seem like they got it on during a footy clinic at the School.

Anyway, i swore it was the last bit of money they'd ever make from me.

I could find a stat that said I look like Ryan gosling.

Works for me

3hhKqm8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not hard at all, just watch replays of his games. You're just saying that to prove some sort of point without providing any sort of proof or understanding of why.
I attend nearly every single Melbourne game and watch the replay on TV.
If my opinion doesn't match yours that doesn't mean mine is wrong. Trying to belittle me for having a different view on it is pretty embarrassing.

Once upon a time i subscribed to the HUN. Mainly for their footy stuff. It didn't cost much.
Then the covered the Duthy incident by alleging things that didn't happen ( ffs they made it sound like a team orgy had happened ) and over sensationalising the whole thing to the detriment of the team.

For instance , she wasn't enrolled at School when Armo and Gilbert met her. The HUN made it seem like they got it on during a footy clinic at the School.

I personally was able to divorce myself psychologically from the club and celebrated the "Duthie Incident" as the disruptive art comedy that it was.

Last edited:
Are you sure that you are not getting confused with that horriblemuck raker from the Age, Caroline Wilson

Are you sure that you are not getting mixed up with the horrible crap reporting on this issue by that muck raking Caroline Wilson over at the age. She was the one I remember sticking the boot into the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back