Preview 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's SEN take on things: The big talking points and questions out of finals week two

GWS don’t look like they have a real weakness

GWS are scary. After disposing of St Kilda last week, the Giants stepped it up another notch in Saturday’s Semi Final win against Port Adelaide. We’ve all been so impressed with their style of play under rookie coach Adam Kingsley, but it’s not just their tactics that are getting them across the line.

Looking at their side from front to back, they have no real weaknesses. Jack Buckley and Sam Taylor lead a defence littered with tough performers. Connor Idun and Harry Himmelberg are elite interceptors, while Lachie Ash and Lachie Whitfield are as good as you’re going to get as running half-backs. We all know how strong their midfield is, and while questions have lingered over their key forwards, Jesse Hogan and Jake Riccardi are standing up when it matters most.

There’s no doubt their toughest task yet will come up against the Magpies on Friday night, but no one is playing better footy than the Giants at the moment. The question will be whether they can impose their style of footy on the minor premiers and a full MCG of rabid Collingwood fans. Confidence certainly won’t be an issue for this side heading into that monumental test.

however, they also say ...

Brisbane and Collingwood are somehow sitting even prettier after week one wins

While they’d already banked the clear front-running to the Grand Final, both the Lions and Magpies would be feeling even better about their positions heading into Preliminary Final weekend. For the Magpies, they’ll see GWS as a genuine threat no doubt, but St Kilda and Port Adelaide in September haven’t been the biggest scalps. Add in the fact that they get Nick Daicos back while the Giants will be on the road again after another six-day break … they really should be progressing to a Grand Final.

While the Blues and Giants would be seeing next weekend as somewhat of a free hit, there’s no doubt this year’s decider really should be Collingwood versus Brisbane.

Nothing is ever a certainty in footy though.

Just remember that last line, Collingwood fans!

Last edited:

And here come all the new fans and “always a fan” trying to get members codes.
Ahh remember this in 2019, only for them to not be seen again.

Don’t be fooled.

I haven't been around for previous finals but it's quite something how many have appeared in the last day or so.

I haven't been around for previous finals but it's quite something how many have appeared in the last day or so.
Was worse then.
After we made the GF in 2019 and all our allocation hadn’t sold. That Sunday and Monday was nuts with the amount of life long fans, that had memberships accidentally lapse, we discovered. I mean they were never heard from again 🤣.

Same thing will happen if we win.

Was worse then.
After we made the GF in 2019 and all our allocation hadn’t sold. That Sunday and Monday was nuts with the amount of life long fans, that had memberships accidentally lapse, we discovered. I mean they were never heard from again 🤣.

Same thing will happen if we win.
I was one that was burned 🔥 in 2019 for the GF. I had a spare barcode and the bloke was super thankful, promised to buy me a beer (my only request) and shake my hand. I was then immediately ghosted. Never again.

Sorry to hear about some of the stories above re barcodes/tickets for finals. Good of you all to get the word out as I've noticed Giants fans elsewhere echo the same.

Won’t be giving any barcodes out myself, my priority 1 membership code is a bit too valuable for gf ticket ballot.

I bet. Realised today that my membership allows for 3rd priority as a 4 game silver member, joined as a member couple days after the Sydney v Giants game in April (second live AFL game after my first ever AFL game at the MCG in March with Pies v PA) with only 6 games left at Giants stadium so didn't get an 8 game membership. Still went to the other 2 games at Giants stadium for 6 total games at Giants stadium and 1 game at Manuka oval to round out the season down in CBR. Hopefully if we make it to finals, I can get a GF ticket but we'll see how we go this Friday first.

Looking forward to being a full season member next season. :)

Re: this game.

I’m very nervous.

Just like I said last week. Our game plan and quality will give us a chance in every game we play from here on out. Very likely to be a close run affair.

Midfield battle will be key, as will keeping our heads in the first quarter.

Let’s go giants. Let’s smash ‘em.
Hopefully if we make it to finals, I can get a GF ticket but we'll see how we go this Friday first.

You’ll be fine with a 3rd prio membership. We will get 10-20k allocation, very unlikely that we exhaust that with 1st and 2nd priority memberships.

Re: this game.

I’m very nervous.

Just like I said last week. Our game plan and quality will give us a chance in every game we play from here on out. Very likely to be a close run affair.

Midfield battle will be key, as will keeping our heads in the first quarter.

Let’s go giants. Let’s smash ‘em.

You’ll be fine with a 3rd prio membership. We will get 10-20k allocation, very unlikely that we exhaust that with 1st and 2nd priority memberships.

Trying to go in with a very level head for this game but it has yet to fully hit me this is happening. I was a bit of a shocker pre and during the game on Saturday. Nerves were next level until settling after we managed to extend/maintain the lead.

I agree with your summation - I think the Pies being more rested than us could give them an edge (all other things being equal, of course).

Thank you - makes me feel a little better that I am in with a good chance with getting GF tickets if we make it! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies fans whinging on social media that everyone isn’t saying this is a guaranteed win for them.
Brittle and entitled brats aren’t they.
Had some absolutely deranged conversations on Twitter today.

Apparently anyone who says that it won’t be an absolute stomping by the pies is taking away from their greatness.

I have the screen shots locked and loaded for Friday night though 😂

I bet. Realised today that my membership allows for 3rd priority as a 4 game silver member, joined as a member couple days after the Sydney v Giants game in April (second live AFL game after my first ever AFL game at the MCG in March with Pies v PA) with only 6 games left at Giants stadium so didn't get an 8 game membership. Still went to the other 2 games at Giants stadium for 6 total games at Giants stadium and 1 game at Manuka oval to round out the season down in CBR. Hopefully if we make it to finals, I can get a GF ticket but we'll see how we go this Friday first.

What ragzztoriches said - last time the club basically announced that they'd have enough allocation that every member who wants to go will get to go. I don't think it'll be heaps different this time around. They even released some of the allocation back last time.

No one's got a GF ballot registration email yet, right? Back in 2019 we got emails before the semi-final and then the ballot was on the equivalent of this Thursday but not heard anything yet.

What ragzztoriches said - last time the club basically announced that they'd have enough allocation that every member who wants to go will get to go. I don't think it'll be heaps different this time around. They even released some of the allocation back last time.
Thank you, that's very re-assuring should we make it! :)
No one's got a GF ballot registration email yet, right? Back in 2019 we got emails before the semi-final and then the ballot was on the equivalent of this Thursday but not heard anything yet.

No GF ballot email received as yet, keeping an eye out on notifications just in case...

Not yet, I was going to contact the club this morning about it. Collingwood and lions members have already got their emails.

Not yet, I was going to contact the club this morning about it. Collingwood and lions members have already got their emails.
The last bit isn't a huge surprise, given qualifying final winners get it immediately as we have in the past.

Deathriding my pies mates so keen to get to the game to support the tsunami. Got 2nd chance ballot GF tix in 19 thanks in large part to GWS developing member base so keen to cheer you on Friday- appreciate if anyone who cant make it down might hit me up with spare barcode?

can someone send me a barcode? preferably Dan Murphys, BWS or Liquourland - need drinks for the fridge :p

will re-use the bottles for Eddie's tears should we beat Collingwood :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back