Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure someone will correct me but I can't think of a 2nd year tall forward from recent memory that kicked 40 goals.
Cameron is the best example of a ridiculous second year, realistically we should be very happy with 30 goals - even 20 goals would be a win

I made it to the preseason launch this morning and was lucky enough to sit next to Jamie Graham at my table. Probably one of the more interesting people to talk to in the room I reckon, so thought I would share some things that we spoke about:

• Amiss: he said is an exciting young player, but did emphasise that it takes a while for young talls to really find their feet in the game so seemed to hint that he has a way to go before he is a lock for B22. I reckon we will see him get some games for sure but isnt a walk up start.
  • Jaeger: must have said three times how impressive he is and that he thinks he has flown under the radar considering how good an acquisition he has been. We should expect big things from him this season.
  • Sturt: he is getting noticed for starting to get the importance of bringing pressure as something you can control, help you work yourself into and impact the game. He mentioned same as Walters who had to come to that realisation before he started to find his form in the forward line
  • Tabs: is healthy and looking really fit. seemed pretty confident with his health heading into the season
  • Corbett: said he is doing well mentioned that its really important to have quality depth on the list
  • Eagles: asked him how he thought they would go... reckons they will do better this year - prob wont make the 8! but their ego took a hit last season and derbies will definitely be danger games for us
  • Other teams he thought would improve: Richmond, Port, Carlton, not clear who will drop out of the 8 - should be a tight season
  • Captain: asked him what he reckoned about two captains. Said his preference is one, but on the coaches trip to USA during the offseason they saw some examples where it worked really well where there was a really strong onfield paired with someone strong with the off field stuff. Said he was really impressed with Pearce standing in last year. Lead with great intent and energy. Really stood out to him initially when he covered as senior coach for JL early in the season

Maybe, just maybe, the best thing for the long term future of our forward line is for Amiss to be eased in whilst pumping time into Treacy to see if he can build on the promise of his first year (acknowledging that illness and injury really hindered him last year). Just think how our forward line could look in 3-5 years time if we manage both of them well so they an fulfil the promise of their first season glimpses.

Maybe, just maybe, the best thing for the long term future of our forward line is for Amiss to be eased in whilst pumping time into Treacy to see if he can build on the promise of his first year (acknowledging that illness and injury really hindered him last year). Just think how our forward line could look in 3-5 years time if we manage both of them well so they an fulfil the promise of their first season glimpses.
I think people are really overplaying "looking after Amiss". The gun KPFs are playing basically every game in their 2nd year and kicking 20-40 goals aside from Cameron who was an absurd freak. Funny enough, Hawkins is the other outlier who took an extra year to really come on.

We dont need to 'look after' Amiss, he should be playing if he's as good as everyone says he is.

PlayerGames PlayedGoals Kicked
Hawkins1013
Cameron2162
Curnow2120
McKay13 (injured a bit I believe)21
B King1725
M King1822
Daniher2128
Naughton2332
Walker1835
Franklin14 (injuries)31
Hogan2044
Darling2453

E: Anyone else I should include?

Last edited:

2 years ago maybe, but our premiership window is open & you play the best available at the time, whoever’s in the best form out of the positional options.

I made it to the preseason launch this morning and was lucky enough to sit next to Jamie Graham at my table. Probably one of the more interesting people to talk to in the room I reckon, so thought I would share some things that we spoke about:

• Amiss: he said is an exciting young player, but did emphasise that it takes a while for young talls to really find their feet in the game so seemed to hint that he has a way to go before he is a lock for B22. I reckon we will see him get some games for sure but isnt a walk up start.
  • Jaeger: must have said three times how impressive he is and that he thinks he has flown under the radar considering how good an acquisition he has been. We should expect big things from him this season.
  • Sturt: he is getting noticed for starting to get the importance of bringing pressure as something you can control, help you work yourself into and impact the game. He mentioned same as Walters who had to come to that realisation before he started to find his form in the forward line
  • Tabs: is healthy and looking really fit. seemed pretty confident with his health heading into the season
  • Corbett: said he is doing well mentioned that its really important to have quality depth on the list
  • Eagles: asked him how he thought they would go... reckons they will do better this year - prob wont make the 8! but their ego took a hit last season and derbies will definitely be danger games for us
  • Other teams he thought would improve: Richmond, Port, Carlton, not clear who will drop out of the 8 - should be a tight season
  • Captain: asked him what he reckoned about two captains. Said his preference is one, but on the coaches trip to USA during the offseason they saw some examples where it worked really well where there was a really strong onfield paired with someone strong with the off field stuff. Said he was really impressed with Pearce standing in last year. Lead with great intent and energy. Really stood out to him initially when he covered as senior coach for JL early in the season
Great insights. Thanks for the insights. I personally don’t care if it’s one, two, or six captains. I think having a captain for each line would be cool too.

I hear over and over how having more than one would be so bad. I heard one person say that “Freo isn’t that kind of club” whatever the hell that means.

NFL teams have lots of captains per team. Mbappe is co captain of PSG with Maquinhos. We’ve heard several players say it doesn’t matter who has the C next to his name once the game starts. Having multiple captains seems possible after hearing Jayme’s comments.

I think people are really overplaying "looking after Amiss". The gun KPFs are playing basically every game in their 2nd year and kicking 20-40 goals aside from Cameron who was an absurd freak. Funny enough, Hawkins is the other outlier who took an extra year to really come on.

We dont need to 'look after' Amiss, he should be playing if he's as good as everyone says he is.

Hawkins1013
Cameron2162
Curnow2120
B King1725
M King1822
Daniher2128
Naughton2332
Walker1835
Franklin14 (injuries)31

Pavlich? I heard he was pretty good too. 😝

Not to be a downer...

But Logan McDonald, Riley Thilthorpe and Jamara Ugle Hagan all averaged less goals in their second season.

Realistically if either of Treacy or Amiss score more than 25 goals they are on a great trajectory for their age.
Fogarty at the Crows too. Georgiades. Not gun players, but the expectation is there.

Players development varies. Some if that is based around a club's timeframe, some based around the player's timeframe.

Fogarty at the Crows too. Georgiades.

Players development varies. Some if that is based around a club's timeframe, some based around the player's timeframe.
Georgiades kicked 32 goals in his 2nd year - regressed a bit last year though.

Think people are expecting too much in goals kicked regardless, as Deathly said, it's about games played and Amiss, if he's as good as everyone thinks, should be playing close to every game going on historical performances of the best KPFs

Funny, because Fyfe can take on Pavlich’s role and be a smart footballer in the sense on how to lead, strength 1on1. Pavlich was never a strong pressure player.
Agree. And after all those operations, maybe a 'grounded' Fyfe is less risky than a Fyfe in flight.

Though along with Pav's full-chested marks (and knowing a goal would inevitably follow) nothing could thrill like the commentators' sudden yell of "FYFE!" as our angel ascended.....

2 years ago maybe, but our premiership window is open & you play the best available at the time, whoever’s in the best form out of the positional options.

I agree - however, I was responding to the feedback from Jamie Graham that Amiss wasn’t necessarily viewed as best 22 yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan kicked 44 in 20 games 2nd year.
Yeah and another dude who's talent has never been in question.

Essentially, I cant agree with protecting Amiss by keeping him in Peel. If he's as good as we all keep thinking, he should be playing every week and the only reason he shouldnt be playing for Freo is if he's not performing well enough

I was initially in the ease him in this year camp but am coming to a different view. Now I'm more in the whoever is the best fit camp.

With that mind change remains the idea that we need to be a bit careful. He should be rested earlier than others when sore or carrying a niggle, that sort of thing.

Overall though I have been won over. I was wrong.

The only question for me now is Treacy or Amiss or both?

Depends on what the coaches think is the best combo. Treacy has been very good in the PS, arguably better than Amiss. Coupled with the reported Graham comments it's not inconceivable Treacy gets the nod first.

Stranger things have happened (see Career - Banfield, Bailey). ;)

Hawkins1013
Cameron2162
Curnow2120
B King1725
M King1822
Daniher2128
Naughton2332
Walker1835
Franklin14 (injuries)31
Hogan2044
Darling2453

Try these, and let's get serious about our ambitions for young Jye:

Player Second yearGoals
Doug Wade196268
Jason Dunstall198677
Tony Lockett198477
Peter Hudson1968(Lazy) 125

Try these, and let's get serious about our ambitions for young Jye:

Player Second yearGoals
Doug Wade196268
Jason Dunstall198677
Tony Lockett198477
Peter Hudson1968(Lazy) 125
If you cant kick 130 goals in your 2nd season are you really trying?

I don't see why Amiss can't play off a flank as a very tall medium forward who can lead up for marks on transition play. Assuming he has the running power to do it all game, he certainly has the speed to burn off almost all the defenders in the competition and then would outreach the zippy small backs who could keep up with him.

He is a good field kick and puts the ball to advantage like Walters does, knowing where the forward wants the ball.

They will either have to man him with a spoiling tall or surrender the contest and guard the likes of Taberner and Jackson deep. Fyfe can lead at Amiss and they HAVE to chase him otherwise he is definitely marking inside fifty and having a shot. It will open space for the talls behind.

Happy birthday JOM . 29 today . Old wine.
Great pickup , we will see now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back