Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I too cynical in thinking there would be more defensive pressure in a normal AFL game. Or should I just enjoy the Nat Fyfe moment

True but Fyfe was travelling at half speed as well and didnt want to pancake any of our defenders. He is building very nicely, lost some weight and looks to have gained some pace and flexibility. If his goal kicking accuracy improves as being reported this will do wonders to his confidence levels. Its hard to believe Fyfe lacks confidence but listening to his interviews about his mental yips, if he can overcome the goal shooting problems and his mojo returns, then suddenly he is taking screamers as well and literally, sky`s the limit.

Mark Johnson was 29 when he was drafted by Freo, turning 30 during the following year.

Solomon was about to turn 27

Thanks but no thanks. People need to get off on Amiss kicking 40+ and whatnot. Second season of big expectations. Just going to be grateful he continues to develop and string games consistently.
Fremantle and any forward must be the most intensely stressed out scenario in the club’s history.
If his name was Amiss-Taberner though, you'd be frothing.

I agree - however, I was responding to the feedback from Jamie Graham that Amiss wasn’t necessarily viewed as best 22 yet.

I should clarify my take away was more thatJamie clearly thinks Amiss has a big future. He just said that he isn't the complete product yet and it can take time to get there for young talls.

I agree with people's comments that we don't need to protect him. IMO playing him in the WAFL doesn't do that anyway... That's where he injured his kidney after all.

He clearly needs opportunity at the top level and maybe the first 6 games will be good for that as we build for the season.... and who knows he may lock down a spot... But I'm not sure about expecting him to play 23 games... it's a long season and if his form wavers or as a young body he needs a rest someone else should get a go as that would be best for the team. We have some decent depth for the first time in ages and I suppose that is the benefit of that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top of your head who do you have?
Johnson and Schofield were the two I had in my head.

Wasn't sure about guys like Tarrant, Solomon, Bond, Fletcher, Watters etc.

I was born in the 1990s so my memory is a bit sketchy before about 2002 or so tbh. Sure there's more but don't have names.

Edit: Watters isn't nearly as old as I thought he was

McPhee was another I thought of but was more like 27/28 when we recruited him a second time.

Colin Sylvia maybe?

Last edited:
I should clarify my take away was more thatJamie clearly thinks Amiss has a big future. He just said that he isn't the complete product yet and it can take time to get there for young talls.

I agree with people's comments that we don't need to protect him. IMO playing him in the WAFL doesn't do that anyway... That's where he injured his kidney after all.

He clearly needs opportunity at the top level and maybe the first 6 games will be good for that as we build for the season.... and who knows he may lock down a spot... But I'm not sure about expecting him to play 23 games... it's a long season and if his form wavers or as a young body he needs a rest someone else should get a go as that would be best for the team. We have some decent depth for the first time in ages and I suppose that is the benefit of that?
Not being the finished product just means Jamie reckons he's going to go from a 40 goal forward this year to an 80 goal forward in his prime. No worries!

What have we thought of Davies so far in the pre season? Do we have something special here or too early to tell?

My mate was meant to play for port tonight too! Would've been a fun one to watch

But seems wce wafl are no longer lending players to Port
They clearly want at least a WAFL level player challenge, not what ever the WC WAFL side is. (I apologise your mate go caught in the cross fire of this comment).

Johnson and Schofield were the two I had in my head.

Wasn't sure about guys like Tarrant, Solomon, Bond, Fletcher, Watters etc.

I was born in the 1990s so my memory is a bit sketchy before about 2002 or so tbh. Sure there's more but don't have names.

Edit: Watters isn't nearly as old as I thought he was

McPhee was another I thought of but was more like 27/28 when we recruited him a second time.

Colin Sylvia maybe?
Danyle Pearce? Modra was my first thought.

I made it to the preseason launch this morning and was lucky enough to sit next to Jamie Graham at my table. Probably one of the more interesting people to talk to in the room I reckon, so thought I would share some things that we spoke about:

Fantastic PB!

Really loving the generosity amongst the posters here who go to the training or functions and let us fans know whats seen and said!
Thanks posters!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back