Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What holds the club back, is when our supporters deny what is plain to see.
Yep. Not.Good.Enough.
8 wins from our last 20 matches says it all.
The coach can't just be blamed for this..Recruiting, List Management and development ( lack of ) all have a part to play in where we find ourselves.

Can confirm. Just finished a 100km walk from San Miniato to Siena and listened to the game from up the road in Bologna. Tuscany is gorgeous at this time of year. Listening to the game put a dampener on things though :'(
doing the south of France at verdon gorge at moment - won't let them turn my trip sour 👍🏻

Seems like everybody has a different view as to our level of shittyness last night.
Actually I thought against quality oppo, we were much better than the previous few weeks.
Huge problem for us is that aside from Harry and Charlie, we don't have any other quality forwards atm.
This is no doubt why the match committee gave Honey that run of games, if only he could have grabbed his opportunity and excelled, real shame.
Excited about Kemp, never really seen him as a defender though, interceptor role yes. However I would play him forward, he is a nice kick, has some wheels and takes a nice grab.
Williams has been a massive loss this year, has the ability to play well across half-forward as well.
Cunners is playing VFL this weekend I think. Hopefully he has a really good run at it now. He is real class.
Boyd is improving each week, like the way he goes about it. Can play as a small-forward as well, probably worth a try up there sometime soon.
If we only win one more game this year, then it has to be against the injector's on Sunday week.

Not sure if anyones seen the footage of TDK and Harry in the change rooms after the game having a laugh.Now I know they ain’t robots and should be able to express themselves but I wasn’t laughing after the game last night and I’m sure many supporters weren’t as well

Bad look.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Noticed this year when we win a centre clearance, we create pressure ourselves and handball it 4-5 times before rushing it anywhere forward … or even lose it in the middle from the over use…quite frustrating !
Very noticeable last night, it’s an overuse problem but also because we don’t have anyone with breakaway speed & skill to get themselves in the clear so revert to flicking it around to release someone into clear air.

Can confirm. Just finished a 100km walk from San Miniato to Siena and listened to the game from up the road in Bologna. Tuscany is gorgeous at this time of year. Listening to the game put a dampener on things though :'(

Same, I’ve watched the last 3 games from Tuscany.. minus the 100k walk. I’ve had lots of good Chianti wine to drown the sorrows.

I’m kind of dreading being back in Melbourne at the MCG next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but why are we persisting with SMALL fwd's. Are we trying to relive the days of our mosquito fleet back in the 80's, why do they have to ne SMALL. Why not try some bigger bodies, ones that won't get pushed aside so easily, maybe try Binns, Honey even Fogarty a shot. Our small fwd's are killing us at the moment.
I think the age of the true small fwd is pretty much over.
Just my opinion of course. ( but it's always right)
Think a memo needs to go to list management- Small Forward can also be a bloke 5’9 to 6’1 who’s lean/wiry, strong, quick & who can just football.
Don’t need a star, just someone who u look at & go “yeah, he can play, smart footballer, just does the right things/knows where to go & gets it done”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That kick over our players straight to a line of dees defenders from inside our fwd 50 was a disgrace .. he is not alone in this department but it looked like we were setting up to go short out then sling past the spare but we kept bombing to there spare even under no pressure ..
Half this side can't follow the instruction or aren't capable of it .. players are on there own and we kick it to turf or over there heads sometimes just out on the full for fun..
blame coaching all you like but our bottom 6-8 can go to any club and be well below average . And guaranteed none of the fwds playing tonight outside the two keys would succeed and lucky to get a game in any side .
Last three weeks we have generated enough chances..
On a side note don't think we missed hewitt and curnow just there replacements didn't provide the foot skill and game awareness we lacking
It’s baffling, Doc blazes over everyone one minute (side note - reckon he & Acres have a comp going to see who can kick it higher without looking for a team mate)
Next minute we try to run it and link handball & we run out of link players!! WTF! No one close enough to receive, no one far enough away to mark a long kick- that’s pretty special to do that almost simultaneously!
How we structure is so so poor, need witches hats out during the week & work on base level starting points/positioning in relation to ball carrier.
Pull the players up when they are out of position & make him run laps!
Probably won’t help but at least they will end up super fit!

Last edited:
Just an observation on one facet of our game, when the dees were coming out of defence an overlap would occur, then one of our midfielders or whoever would leave there man I assume to pressure the ball carrier but in reality get caught in no mans land allowing the demons to continue the overlap and deliver with no pressure into the forward line. Wouldnt it make sense to stay with your player and force the ball carrier to kick long to a one on one? This would also require the forwards to apply pressure from behind

I just want us to be a half decent football team again.

Yes, not even good or great, right now I just want half decent.

That's how far we have fallen.

As
Not sure if anyones seen the footage of TDK and Harry in the change rooms after the game having a laugh.Now I know they ain’t robots and should be able to express themselves but I wasn’t laughing after the game last night and I’m sure many supporters weren’t as well

Bad look.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Charlie after the siren was worse

6 goals for the match.

Two from free kicks - our most reliable source of goals tbh. One in a KPF marking contest, the other Fisher diving.

Three from KPF marks. One of those was in a prime position (Curnow 35 out in front). One a snap from the boundary line, the other from 55m out.

One midfield goals - Acres from the boundary line after a setup from Cripps that looked awkward.

We simply don't have any system at all for generating goals - mostly, we score by bonbing it long and either a KF taking a mark or someone gets a free kick. If that doesnt't happen, we are essentially scoreless (two goals last week, one this week that sit outside that model).

-30 contested possessions, 43 tackles for the match, and 4 tackles inside 50 also speaks volumes.

dow - people have been picked on the ground the following week for less after being the sub. made that fluff where he didn't have the distance on the tacklers that he thought he did. not enough body of work for pro/anti dow to shame the other side yet, but signs were encouraging.
fisher - he is far too good to be playing this s**t. not getting on the end of any handball chains where his excellent evasiveness can come into play and break lines. his play in the defensive 50 was bad, but that being the case it also points to a lack of coaching. why does he not know to stand on the actual mark there? doesn't need to know because he spends his time in the front half?
we look a lot more dynamic with cincotta, dow and boyd zipping around (saad well down). it's almost as if we transplant some of the effort of this week into last week, it might have been enough to win.
gonna have to keep playing kemp. lost some contests but also won. think we'd be more forgiving if it was a first year 10 gamer instead of however old he is.

depends on the day whether the good bits of acres makes up for the bad. has a dip in the contest and in the air, can sink a long range and clever into 50 on occasion where others will bomb. but then will miss a 30 metre pass by 5 metres. disposal not consistently poor but erratic, which acres turns up next time?
think we've found another position for kennedy in the centre square.
walsh, owies and cottrell all had a mare.
motlop is a little kid and did some typical not-so-good forward pocket things. probably has the highest ceiling of our small forwards and seems to be able to get involved in general play a lot more than someone like owies, who admittedly is better closer to goal right now.
curnow pretty much unsighted. no surprise given may and lever are some of the best defenders, and made even better by the way the ball came in.

harry improved his overall game rather than just fixing his yips (mostly). seems to understand that confidence comes from good play anywhere rather than just shooting at goal.
Fisher needs coaching to stand the mark? How stupid is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Back