Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fabulous. Another coach!!
Toad I hate that fact too, but Voss’ position is fast becoming untenable.

Week in, week out you are seeing the same mistakes. We are going backwards.

I mean 44 ****ing points in a game with 2 Coleman medalists … seriously!

He had his plan A which is not working and his plan B appears to put his head up his butt.

If he doesn’t find a circuit breaker and soon I just can’t see him not being moved on. There is just too much wrong with how we play that ultimately falls on him.

And yes I hate even thinking it but if the team can’t start to improve from here on and regresses even further it’s just unacceptable however unpalatable it is.

I think we are over analysing.

Cripps plays well = we play well.

He is not running on all 8 cylinders and we are not good enough without him.

Walsh is getting to lots of contests but not being effective.

What to do? Well thats for Voss and co to work out. Perhaps we need to move cripps forward and change our midfield setups. We are not are great turnover / transition team and we are not getting goals for stoppages or clearances.

6 goals for the match.

Two from free kicks - our most reliable source of goals tbh. One in a KPF marking contest, the other Fisher diving.

Three from KPF marks. One of those was in a prime position (Curnow 35 out in front). One a snap from the boundary line, the other from 55m out.

One midfield goals - Acres from the boundary line after a setup from Cripps that looked awkward.

We simply don't have any system at all for generating goals - mostly, we score by bonbing it long and either a KF taking a mark or someone gets a free kick. If that doesnt't happen, we are essentially scoreless (two goals last week, one this week that sit outside that model).

-30 contested possessions, 43 tackles for the match, and 4 tackles inside 50 also speaks volumes.
We never seem to kick goals on the run or crumbing goals. It's either a mark or a free kick.

What REALLY peeves me was that in last year's Draft/Trade Period we basically said we would not be involved apart from getting Acres because we were confident in "organic growth" from the group. What a joke!!! We have had "organic reduction" in all but about 3 players. It was obvious we needed a good half forward(s) but refused to try for anyone.

This post was on P4 or so. Not sure i'll read much more of the thread. It's all pretty much been said over the last month repeatedly.

NOBODY wants Voss to be a dud. I desperately want Voss to be a good coach. Hell, even competant would suffice for a while. I'm absolutely positive the Club WANTS desperately to stick by Voss.

But he has done exactly what Nathan Buckley did to a quality list, and what Leon Cameron did to a quality list. Absolutely drain them of any semblance of freedom, attack and enjoyment....in the pursuit of lack of errors. The only result that can happen with this approach is the seizing up of a footy side. Confidence drained teamwide. Completely constipated. No movement.

Football is a game where you have to give confidence. Not try to stubbornly eliminate error. It is self defeating. Lack of confidence is the number 1 driver of error.

It is completely scary how Voss has followed the path of Buckley and Cameron. And completely scary how he seems to be as equally stubborn as those 2 mules.

I don't know if it is possible to get these types to listen and learn once they get so dug in. Justin Longmuir got himself in this kind of hole for about 6 weeks. But then quickly listened, learned and adjusted. So did Bevo for a while. So did Hinkley for a while.

But when it goes past 20 weeks with the coach showing no inkling of acknowledgement of his catastrophic error, then the signs aren't good lol.

It is impossible that 30 players ALL lose form and confidence at the same time by their own doing.

They have been seized up, and completely lost confidence in themselves and each other.
Buckley took a very average side to within a kick of a premiership. We smashed one of the best sides in living memory in a prelim and made another Prelim.
No doubt Buckley had flaws, and I used to get a little frustrated, but he did have some success as a coach. 2021 was just a crap year.

6 goals for the match.

Two from free kicks - our most reliable source of goals tbh. One in a KPF marking contest, the other Fisher diving.

Three from KPF marks. One of those was in a prime position (Curnow 35 out in front). One a snap from the boundary line, the other from 55m out.

One midfield goals - Acres from the boundary line after a setup from Cripps that looked awkward.

We simply don't have any system at all for generating goals - mostly, we score by bonbing it long and either a KF taking a mark or someone gets a free kick. If that doesnt't happen, we are essentially scoreless (two goals last week, one this week that sit outside that model).

-30 contested possessions, 43 tackles for the match, and 4 tackles inside 50 also speaks volumes.
The forward line is an abomination so true.

You can only hope that later this year we have Martin, Cuners and Kemp in there to give us some extra scoring power.

you sure you watched the game? how many times did walsh get caught from behind...total unawareness and poor kicks

runs around a lot but very little impact.

Disposal very iffy, lacks penetration and skies far too many. Cant fault his efforts though in a strong performing team he'd be a superstar.

Charlie off night last night but has carried this side all year.

Motlop, Owies and Fisher EXTREMELY underwhelming. Have stuck up for Motlop a bit but last night he was way off the pace.

I thought Paddy did well, must persist but invariably will be dropped back to the twos next week.

Im sick of all the Harry fluff in the media poor Harry, earning his 800k a year I really feel for him. If I was performing poorly in my job no one be putting their arms around me it's perform or go broke very quickly. Leigh Matthews said it perfectly, AFL is a pressure game, if you can't handle pressure, you're in the wrong game.

Kemp plays like he has anxiety...just needs to settle...more game time will fix that. lots of positives with kemp.

agree on Cinc.
He looks like a player who needs to feel trusted: "You go for your marks, bite off the long corridor kicks - and yes, you'll make some mistakes. But define your game by your successes rather than your failures. I trust you to do these things because I know you can do them. So go do them."

He looks like a player who needs to feel trusted: "You go for your marks, bite off the long corridor kicks - and yes, you'll make some mistakes. But define your game by your successes rather than your failures. I trust you to do these things because I know you can do them. So go do them."
Absolutely. That will do him and the team a world of good. Mind you the whole team should be encouraged to do what they do best as well. Focus on positives not negatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love some regular vision from behind the goals to see what attempts at system there might be. Even without that tho, Melbourne were clearly setup too quickly for us to "feel" dangerous in any aspect of the game.

We dont punish sides on the turn over, we dont punish mistakes in the corridor or forward 50, (tonight was better but) we dont stick enough tackles to worry sodes walking the ball through whatever zone we are running.

It feels like the players are always waiting for a target to appear and getting caught or end up kicking under pressure --> kicking long down the line, skying it, putting it on the chest of an intercept defender.

In a game of seconds, a second to slow on a system level just isnt tenable.

Liked Kemps game, his battle with a quality player like Fritsch was really encouraging.

Anyone else notice Charlie giving Dow a slap on the arse after he let his man go through the corridor late in the game?

Not much to enthuse about people.

Kemp will be better when he punches a tiny bit more. Like him taking grabs though.

Dow was Dow, 1 effort no more. Gets it and gets off some nice hands or doesn't get it and stops.

Liked Kemps game, his battle with a quality player like Fritsch was really encouraging.

Anyone else notice Charlie giving Dow a slap on the arse after he let his man go through the corridor late in the game?

Not much to enthuse about people.
Pretty exciting to see kemps improvement. That’s the sort of improvement we see and envy at oppo clubs where a not so well known young player comes in and does well.

re Dow
I saw that. Looks like players are also pissed that Dow has been shrugged by Voss.

If we look closely I’m sure we will find other examples where our players lose their man. We don’t play a disciplined 1 v 1 defence.

Dow showed some maturity and guts tonight. I think whoever is coaching the midfield set ups is a boofhead - only slightly below the IQ of the forwards coaching.

This team is being sucked into playing sideways and boundary by an inability to find any room down the middle- open question whether it is structure and/or lack of skill.

It hard to make a decision about game plan versus execution (for me anyway)

No doubt in my mind when Carlton managed to find a loose man in the center - Melbourne shat their pants and we scored. Th better teams find a loose man.

What is clear though is that my eyes preferred watching a higher scoring faster playing more chaos football style than watching this deliberate style which gets boxed into corners and forced into long kicks down the boundary.

A few good passages of play today were through teh middle with AFL quality kicks to blokes that were open - I;'d like to see more of that since the boundary is the natural habitat of all the players VOss is trying to hide and where most of the turnovers and joe the goose easy goals against us originate.

Docherty is a great bloke - he needs a rest and needs to be managed - because he is starting too look old/fumbly and tired as a defender. I counted 4 times he ignored Sad running bye s a receiver - Saad has the correct instincts to go straight through the center he should never be ignored - because his chaos running disrupts defensive set ups and can open up the fat side for us-something which is glaringly missing in our play and has been for too long.

I can feel a tension in the air watching our blokes plod around - Voss wanting to instill more control and precision and having to cop the obvious lack of class required to execute at teh required level to make that work.

More chaos thanks - more kick it to advantageous space rather than short forwards one out against defender two foot taller. Find space Carlton you are being choked to death by teh opposition. -find space and breathe the fresh air is what I would be focusing on.
Welcome to our side of the fence JAB.
(Duck and cover)

I think the issue with us is that through midfield play we lack system.

As a midfielder you should be able to feel comfortable to bring the ball out and there should be players to handball to but with us it's very much a sometimes there is sometimes there isn't.

The good sides they always have numbers running through from behind the contest. With us we don't have the numbers running from behind. It's a reason why we lack run and carry and a reason we don't defend well and allow opposition to run forward and carry too easily too often. Reckon our midfield in open play situations and coming out of stoppages is not well coached and not well structured.

Our handball game doesn't exist, when we try and come out and string handballs together, players aren't in the right position and it delays our release and we get put under pressure and turn it over.

Who is a good player who reads the play well, positions to receives well and runs hard through contests? Binns. Keen to see him in.

Front and centre to the talls after a long kick. Richmond did it so well in their prime, I'm sure they followed Riewoldt around, would often see three blokes front and centre to him. We do this so poorly. Again our outside midfield play and structure does not exist.

Thought our tackling was a long way off.

Ball handling skills under pressure was not there from our better mids.

Plenty of players playing good footy but our system as a team, it's not gelling.

Thought Dow looked like he should be playing AFL. Needs time to settle in but he handballs well and looks to handball out which we need. His spacial awareness is better, he positions and receives better, his kicking is better.

Motlop up the ground around the midfield as a Plus 1, he's just such a good natural mid. His future is as a midfielder who plays a fair bit forward. Keep drafting forwards and working on his tank to release him and make this happen.

Kemp is becoming a great player.

Our playing and coaching group deficiencies, skills and what it means wearing the jumper were highlighted back when we played Adelaide…
I can’t see what the coaching group are trying to implement, 88k members should be entitled to a clear explanation from Voss and co wtf is wrong.
Our skills and game plan have gone south since middle 2022…it’s evident to most of the footballing experts and public but not the coaching staff…looks like they’ve done sweet fa.
who is driving the bus…coaching staff or players ?

Kemp was the only shining light for me last night. It confirms my belief that he needs to be our number 1 intercept defender ahead of McGovern and Marchbank. He was waaaaay more involved than McGovern last night who is no where as a footballer. He would be handy in a top side, not a bad side.

In reality, we have problems all over the ground, and seem to be carrying a significant mental burden. We lack confidence, self belief and trust in our system and each other. The players don't run for or play for one another, they are terrified of making errors which leads to making errors, we don't okay on instinct other than our kamakazi desperate plays when the game is lost.

Our defence transition is the worst in the league. Our mids can sometimes break even in contested ball but cannot get it inside to outside with clean possession and hit a target on the lead.

Our small forwards would have to be bottom 4 in the competition. They cannot win a bloody ground ball, don't create space with multiple leads and lack forward pressure.

Harry and Charlie are victims of a horrible system up field.

Our wings were destroyed last night by Hunter and Langdon - Acres fumbles every time and is a turn over merchant. O Brien is simply not AFL standard.

This season is done. We need to hope in the off season we can do some serious soul searching, getting in a team of psychologists, get a new tactician assistant coach and turn over the list to move on guys who aren't taking us anywhere.

I'm so disappointed and disillusioned but I feel for the players and staff involved in the club. They are trying, it's just not working.

Reading stats this morning fmd
Motlop - as if his movement and fake tackles and no effort weren’t bad enough, 6 turnovers
Bloke only touched it 11 times!
Please voss you’ve been carrying small forwards all year. Try something different! (Not honey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Back