2023 Round 1 - Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Rationale:
  • Prefer to go with one ruck and one ruck/fwd than cameron/cox. Prefer Cox as main ruck. This also means that kreuger comes in as the fwd/ruck
  • D. Cameron - No big deal if he is 1st ruck instead of Cox. I just prefer cox.
  • I really like Murphy. His 1 on 1 contest stats are so impressive. He will have a long term role, just not sure about short term. I think if Frampton plays tall it could be interesting to see how differently we cna use Howe.
  • Rebound 50 is our bread and butter. So I want crisp and IQ driving that. I want to see IQ improve his game to be more like Crisp.
  • I think fwd 50 pressure is more than the sum of its parts. Therefore I want Elliot, Hill and Mccreery all in there, even though the last two arent necessarilly our best fwds. Similarly kreuger as the the 3rd tall that can apply pressure.

B: J. Howe, B. Frampton, B. Maynard

HB: I. Quaynor ,D. Moore, J. Crisp

C: J. Daicos, S. Pendlebury , S. Sidebottom

HF: B. McCreery, D. McStay, J. Elliott

F: B. Hill, B. Mihocek, N. Kreuger,

FOL: M. Cox, J. De Goey, T. Mitchell

I/C: N. Daicos, P. Lipinksi,
+ 2 of (WHE, T. Adams, J. Noble, J. Ginnivan, A. Johnson, N. Murphy)

FB: Maynard - Moore - Quaynor

HB: N Daicos - Frampton - Pendlebury

C: J Daicos - Mitchell - Hill

HF: Elliott - Mihocek - Lipinski

FF: Ginnivan - McStay - McCreery

R: Cox - Crisp - De Goey

Int: Murphy - Sidebottom - Howe - Noble

Em: Adams - Cameron - Johnson - Kreuger

You think we'll go with 9 defenders (6x on-field plus Murphy, Howe and Noble?

You don't think Adams will be best 22 in 2023?

FB Howe Frampton Maynard
B Crisp Moore Quaynor
C J Daicos DeGoey Pendlebury
HF Lipinski McStay Elliot
F Johnson Keeler (😊) Hill (aka “Team Bruvvers”)
Foll Cameron Mitchell J Daicos
I/C Murphy Sidebottom Ginnivan Adams
Emergency McInness

Wow…. There is gonna be some stiff players missing out!

Is 1 of those J Daicos's meant to be a N Daicos?

I've thought twice about this. The coaches probably will go with the same ruck set up. It has worked this year. And probably want Mcstay predominant in the fwd line..

Maynard. Frampton/Murphy. Howe
Quaynor. Moore. Pendles
Sidebottom. Mitchell. Jaicos
Elliott. Mihocek. Lippa
Naicos. Mcstay. McCreery
Cameron. De Goey. Crisp

Int: Cox, Noble, Ginnivan, Adams, Kreuger/Johnson/WHE (competing for the possible 5th spot)

Hill is probably competing with Beau. WHE prob ahead for that marking forward role ahead of Kreuger/Johnson.
I hate to say this but I will be surprised if Howe is in the best 22 at the end of the year. Started to see signs of him fading towards the end of the year. Hope I am wrong.

Anyone who doesn't think Givv is not an automatic starter round one are nuts.

40 goals in 23 games as a small forward.

Anyone who doesn't think Givv is not an automatic starter round one are nuts.

40 goals in 23 games as a small forward.
And Ginni could easily have had a 50 goal season if he’d received even half of the free kicks which were stolen from him. I’m still seething and plan on being outraged until the new season.😳

He may not be pro ruck but he played two rucks every game bar one and even then there was ruck as medi sub.
Yep its why the more you think about it the Cox Cameron duo may still be the plan going into 23. If we end up with 5 on the bench it will bea given.

I'm gonna remain with 4 on the bench for now and a sub

This was actually shockingly tough and I did my best to try and blend what I wanted, with what I think could happen with what I reckon needs to happen for us to actually progress. I'm well aware there's some omissions here that many/most will find glaring

22.png

I have Checkers as the sub because I reckon he's a good one. Can play at both ends and not sure his body would hold up anymore to the rigours of a full season playing every game anyway.

I'm gonna remain with 4 on the bench for now and a sub

This was actually shockingly tough and I did my best to try and blend what I wanted, with what I think could happen with what I reckon needs to happen for us to actually progress. I'm well aware there's some omissions here that many/most will find glaring

View attachment 1538657

I have Checkers as the sub because I reckon he's a good one. Can play at both ends and not sure his body would hold up anymore to the rigours of a full season playing every game anyway.

I can see Ash Johnson being the one that gets dropped.

Forward line

Hill McStay McCreary
Givv Mihocek Elliott

I can see Ash Johnson being the one that gets dropped.

Forward line

Hill McStay McCreary
Givv Mihocek Elliott

I could see Ash not being there too

I could also see Dean instead of Frampton plus a host of other possible changes

I guess that's the beauty of our list next year.

I struggled to find a spot for Dean, Mihocek, Cox, Hoskin-Elliot, Sidebottom and Adams and that doesn't account for players like Macrae, Begg and McInnes trying to get back in the side. But of course there'll be injuries and such so we'll see how we go.

I just think all things being equal, the 22 I list for me is the one that takes us to the next level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLLINGWOOD

B:
Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard,

HB: Nick Daicos, Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury

C: Josh Daicos, Jack Crisp, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jamie Elliott, Dan McStay, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jack Ginnivan, Brody Mihocek, Beau McCreery

FOLL: Darcy Cameron, Jordan De Goey, Tom Mitchell

I/C: Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski, Nathan Murphy, John Noble

In: Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Bobby Hill, Billy Frampton

Out: Brodie Grundy, Ollie Henry

WE SAY: The Pies line-up similarly to how they ended 2022 but are boosted by off-season recruits Tom Mitchell and Dan McStay. Mitchell provides an extra inside midfielder they lacked last year – and rounds out a talented on-ball brigade – while McStay gives them another marking target up forward that will back up Darcy Cameron in the ruck. Bobby Hill remains outside the 22 for now given he, Jack Ginnivan and Beau McCreery all play a similar role and Will Hoskin-Elliott provides another aerial presence, but that will clearly be a big watch over the pre-season. Collingwood also added Billy Frampton to fill Jordan Roughead’s void deep in defence and to allow Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe to push higher up the ground, but it remains a tough back six to crack into.

Frampton and Kruger might be selections based on the team where playing.

If where playing Geelong with Cameron and Hawkins, I want Moore on Hawkins and Frampton on Cameron with Howe/Murphy on Rohan.

I think this will happen more and more with teams.

COLLINGWOOD

B:
Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard,

HB: Nick Daicos, Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury

C: Josh Daicos, Jack Crisp, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jamie Elliott, Dan McStay, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jack Ginnivan, Brody Mihocek, Beau McCreery

FOLL: Darcy Cameron, Jordan De Goey, Tom Mitchell

I/C: Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski, Nathan Murphy, John Noble

In: Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Bobby Hill, Billy Frampton

Out: Brodie Grundy, Ollie Henry

WE SAY: The Pies line-up similarly to how they ended 2022 but are boosted by off-season recruits Tom Mitchell and Dan McStay. Mitchell provides an extra inside midfielder they lacked last year – and rounds out a talented on-ball brigade – while McStay gives them another marking target up forward that will back up Darcy Cameron in the ruck. Bobby Hill remains outside the 22 for now given he, Jack Ginnivan and Beau McCreery all play a similar role and Will Hoskin-Elliott provides another aerial presence, but that will clearly be a big watch over the pre-season. Collingwood also added Billy Frampton to fill Jordan Roughead’s void deep in defence and to allow Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe to push higher up the ground, but it remains a tough back six to crack into.

Think we'll be seeing lots of selection battles for places over pre-season.

COLLINGWOOD

It was a very busy trade period for Graham Wright, with the Magpies signing four players – Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Bobby Hill and Billy Frampton – and trading out Brodie Grundy and Ollie Henry. But not all of the new faces will come straight into Craig McRae's best 22. Mitchell will bolster a midfield that was badly beaten around the ball for much of 2022, while McStay provides another key target in attack and should slot in alongside Brody Mihocek. Nathan Murphy was ultra reliable alongside Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe in the second half of the season and should hold out Charlie Dean and Frampton for a defensive spot. Collingwood preferred playing Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox as a pair and may look to do the same in 2023 given Grundy has been traded to Melbourne. With Scott Pendlebury turning 35 before round one, the skipper might spend even more time across half-back than he did in 2022, especially with the arrival of a Brownlow Medal winner in Mitchell. The expectation is Nick Daicos will spend more time in the midfield after his breakout debut season. - Josh Gabelich

B: Brayden Maynard, Nathan Murphy, Jeremy Howe
HB: Nick Daicos, Darcy Moore, Scott Pendlebury
C: Steele Sidebottom, Jordan De Goey, Josh Daicos
HF: Pat Lipinski, Dan McStay, Beau McCreery
F: Jamie Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jack Ginnivan
Foll: Darcy Cameron, Tom Mitchell, Jack Crisp
I/C: Mason Cox, Taylor Adams, John Noble, Isaac Quaynor

Emerg: Bobby Hill, Nathan Kreuger, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ash Johnson

It seems Fly is looking to move away from two ruckmen but I don't think we should. If it ain't broke! Cox and Cameron are both versatile too so you could play McStay and still have one of our ruckmen on the bench.

FB: Murphy Frampton Howe
CB: Maynard Moore Pendlebury
C: Josh Daicos Crisp Lipinski
CF: Kruger McStay Nick Daicos
FF: Hill Michocek Elliott
FOLL: Cameron JDG Mitchell
Int: Ginnivan Johnson McCreery Begg or Cox if its a 5 man int then put both Begg and Cox there but if its 4 then Begg gets the nod

Tought to miss are Quaynor McInness and McRae

Int: Ginnivan Johnson McCreery Begg or Cox if its a 5 man int then put both Begg and Cox there but if its 4 then Begg gets the nod

Quaynor and Noble likely to play

Kruger and McStay can give Cameron a chop-out - therefore no Begg, he seems a fair way off

Is Adams resuming FT training in January?, if so, he could be in

Like Mitchell in the team

That back 6 would have to be the slowest in afl history. Quaynor and Noble will both be playing for some speed and run.

nice line up just need to add on to depth.

Looking forward seeing McStay Johnston Michocek and Kruger in the same forward line.

With the likes Elliott Hill and Ginny crumbing around

Only real slow back man is Howe the rest are ok but i can see Quaynor soon replacing Howe during the 2023 season and then Murphy is reliable but again a bit slow the rest are ok kappa
Like to see both daicos move up the ground and even try Nick on half forward line and i still like brother Josh on the wing.
Was tossing up between Adams and Crisp as centre.
I forgot Sidy too probably used on and off the bench and have the ever reliable Pendles on and off the half back line and used on and off the bench as well
For kick ins ill have either Pendles or Frampton do it.
Ruck ill have in order is Cameron Kruger McStay Cox as ruck options with the young guns in Begg and Charlie Dean to come through next year and given some match time as well.
On ballers like JDG and Mitchell to start with and see how this goes. With Adams or Crisp in the centre as well. ill go for Crisp as Adams body sometimes looks cooked. So play Adams maybe on the wing or on the flanks.
Noble can use pinch hitting on half back line but like him to play more forward in 2023 and so too Lipinski say half forward/wing role.
Something is telling me that Will Kelly could have an impact as well could play as another back up ruck or down back.
Then we have the winger types like Bianco and Ruscoe there for added mid field depth along with McRae and McInness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back