2023 Round 1 - Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Murphy Frampton Howe
CB: Maynard Moore Pendlebury
C: Josh Daicos Crisp Lipinski
CF: Kruger McStay Nick Daicos
FF: Hill Michocek Elliott
FOLL: Cameron JDG Mitchell
Int: Ginnivan Johnson McCreery Begg or Cox if its a 5 man int then put both Begg and Cox there but if its 4 then Begg gets the nod

Tought to miss are Quaynor McInness and McRae

Thats a yikes no Quaynor or Noble. Both keys in our ball movement and run this season.

That backline needs some pace.

IQ and Noble play every game. They both add necessary pressure and run and carry.

Dont think Both Murphy and Frampton play. Eventually once Howe retires and Murphy prob takes his spot. Thats if they want to add some height to the backline.

Int: Ginnivan Johnson McCreery Begg or Cox if its a 5 man int then put both Begg and Cox there but if its 4 then Begg gets the nod

I doubt we play Cox. Freddy will be the back up ruck and no quaynor just makes me sick. Murphy will miss out as well

Only real slow back man is Howe the rest are ok but i can see Quaynor soon replacing Howe during the 2023 season and then Murphy is reliable but again a bit slow the rest are ok kappa
Like to see both daicos move up the ground and even try Nick on half forward line and i still like brother Josh on the wing.
Was tossing up between Adams and Crisp as centre.
I forgot Sidy too probably used on and off the bench and have the ever reliable Pendles on and off the half back line and used on and off the bench as well
For kick ins ill have either Pendles or Frampton do it.
Ruck ill have in order is Cameron Kruger McStay Cox as ruck options with the young guns in Begg and Charlie Dean to come through next year and given some match time as well.
On ballers like JDG and Mitchell to start with and see how this goes. With Adams or Crisp in the centre as well. ill go for Crisp as Adams body sometimes looks cooked. So play Adams maybe on the wing or on the flanks.
Noble can use pinch hitting on half back line but like him to play more forward in 2023 and so too Lipinski say half forward/wing role.
Something is telling me that Will Kelly could have an impact as well could play as another back up ruck or down back.
Then we have the winger types like Bianco and Ruscoe there for added mid field depth along with McRae and McInness.
It’s not that the defenders are individually slow, although Murphy definitely is, it’s that that it’s a slow group overall and doesn’t provide much run carry. Our gameplan was built on the back of the run and carry Quaynor, Nick Daicos and Noble provided yet none of them are named there. There’s also no rotating defender named on the bench. You can’t replace Nick Daicos, Noble and Quaynor with Pendlebury and Frampton and expect any meaningful drive to come out of the back half.

In what alternative universe does IQ ever miss out? 😂

Apart from Quaynor and Noble i had the rest right ill have quaynor on the half back line along with noble there could play noble on the wing as well

FB: N Daicos Howe Quaynor
C: J Daicos Crisp Lipinski
CF: WHE McStay Ginnivan
Int: Johnson McCreery Cox Murphy

Kreuger or Macrae if it's 5 men on bench

He's coming over for the terrible scenario that Moore is injured.

Frampton isn't good enough to play in the AFL team otherwise.
The coaches & Wright seemingly disagree with you. There's no way they would have given him 3 years otherwise.

like to see nick daicos play off more as a half back in the mid field
frampton i feel we will as the season unfolds like not round 1
as with the other pick ups mitchell for on ball mcstay as part of the forward line and hill on half forward line and could play on the wing as well

Poor Johnny Noble

Was the premise of discussion early in the year. If he's the 7th picked defender, then he's always going to be at risk of omission. Either Dean, Frampton or Kelly almost certain to be included in 2023, something has to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the premise of discussion early in the year. If he's the 7th picked defender, then he's always going to be at risk of omission. Either Dean, Frampton or Kelly almost certain to be included in 2023, something has to give.
I imagine Murphy will be the thing. Noble brings pace, pressure and run and carry that none of those do. Very much a fly type of player in this game style.
This year, Murphy was the last defender picked going by training, week in, week out.

I don’t think we’ll replace our best runner in defence with a key back but you’re right something has to give.

I imagine Murphy will be the thing. Noble brings pace, pressure and run and carry that none of those do. Very much a fly type of player in this game style.
This year, Murphy was the last defender picked going by training, week in, week out.

Different roles. Murphy is a much better 1v1 lockdown defender than Noble. Maynard's arguably the only one better in our team. Someone in the defence needs to be able to do it so I think that'll make him tough to overlook. I think Noble is more directly competing with Nick Daicos and Quaynor. I'm happy to pick both ahead of him.

He typically covers for Quaynor and the wingers.

I am thinking he is the type that trains the house down. That gets him a start in the practice matches, and he won’t be making it easy for someone to dislodge him.

As I've previously stated, IMHO he's not getting selected in our defensive group ahead of Moore, Howe, Maynard, and Quaynor. Add 1 of Dean, Frampton or Kelly to the mix to fill that KPD role we lacked this year and you've got 5 of the 7 typically selected defenders sorted.

Means he's competing with Nick Daicos (if he's retained in the defence), Murphy, and Pendles. They're all ahead of him IMHO.

Different roles. Murphy is a much better 1v1 lockdown defender than Noble. Maynard's arguably the only one better in our team. Someone in the defence needs to be able to do it so I think that'll make him tough to overlook. I think Noble is more directly competing with Nick Daicos and Quaynor. I'm happy to pick both ahead of him.
Yes, different roles; Which is why Murphy will be the one vulnerable if they want to bring in one of the key position players like frampton/dean/kelly etc.

Yes, different roles; Which is why Murphy will be the one vulnerable if they want to bring in one of the key position players like frampton/dean/kelly etc.

Happy to agree to disagree. IMHO we were a tall short in our defence this season. That Murphy's inclusion was able to paper over that to some degree doesn't diminish the reality of it. Howe and to a lesser extent Maynard shouldn't be asked to play a KPD or 3rd tall role. They shouldn't have to in 2023.

Happy to agree to disagree. IMHO we were a tall short in our defence this season. That Murphy's inclusion was able to paper over that to some degree doesn't diminish the reality of it. Howe and to a lesser extent Maynard shouldn't be asked to play a KPD or 3rd tall role. They shouldn't have to in 2023.
I definitely agree with that. We were undersized as a defence. But we now have a few viable options going into 2023.

I would have

Quaynor Dean Murphy
Howe Moore Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back