List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong mail is that Dev is leaving us. Terms already agreed to just a signature is all that is left. Really dont think we get a lot for him either.
Heard differently from what would be considered a very reliable source that Dev has already signed with us just not announced yet. looks like the ball is still in the air.

Wouldn't make much sense given we already have Andrews and Payne, not to mention Gardiner.
Additionally wouldn't make much sense because Hippy is doing good in the forward line.Our forward line proves year after year that we are potent and score more consistently than most. He finished 8th in the competition for goal assists & his 41 goals takes him to 15th overall in the comp for conversions. Our forward line isnt broke so changing it would be looney tunes in my opinion.
A tough nut midfielder or 2 with good disposal would be ideal and the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Last edited:
Shrodinger’s Dev. He both is and isn’t leaving at the same time.

If he were to go I would be pushing for something in the second round. Start at pick 20 and settle at 34. They would probably offer 39.

I don’t see why we can’t share him? Give us the odd rounds and they can have him for the even rounds, then we get him back in finals

Great players for sure just not a mongrel , look at the super lion team they had pike and the Scott boys not sure we have one on our list that bites ,

Are we travelling back in time?

The games changed. Collingwood are a bunch of softies and it didn't hold them back

Also, you seem to be forgetting that Linc put Murphy out for the game and Charlie broke Howes ribs

Are we travelling back in time?

The games changed. Collingwood are a bunch of softies and it didn't hold them back

Also, you seem to be forgetting that Linc put Murphy out for the game and Charlie broke Howes ribs
The players of recent decades who you would describe as having mongrel can all play.

The last teams to have mongrels who were there just for that were in the '70's

Agreed, the issues with the list are still the same as the ones we had during the season. We have improved as a team a lot this past year. Last year we just hanging in there for the second half of the season.

There is no greater examination of a team than on grand final day playing against the best. We got showed up in a few areas but we are talking little 1% percenters. In the cold light of day they tackled better than us, defended the ground a little better, had a bit more quality around stoppage/ centre clearance and footy smarts which allowed them more looks than us.

We tidy those areas up and we win comfortably given our forward half efficiency. We had them on toast every time we went forward with purpose.

I think what gets lost also is that they have a very experienced top end. Their older players have grand final experience and they looked calmer and were the ones that stood up when needed. Hill got us in the first half but Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Crisp through the middle were huge.

They had 8 over 30, we had 4. And our average age was one year less

Cam especially quite literally seems to be the heart and soul of the club. I worry if we tried to move him on it would be like Bradshaw and then everything just falls apart around us.

Tbh I like you still have hope for him though. I really do think that his inconsistency is not entirely his fault, given he doesn’t really seem to have a defined role. Doesn’t help that all preseason and early on in the year he was earmarked in defence lol. Need to give him an actually useful role going into next year and hopefully he finds some purpose

Sticking Rayner in defense (GF) is one of the daftest things imaginable. He flourishes in the forward line and sometimes in the middle as an aggressive attacking player. 80% F 20% M would be ideal

Great players for sure just not a mongrel , look at the super lion team they had pike and the Scott boys not sure we have one on our list that bites ,
We don’t have those antagonistic types (apart from maybe Zorko) but Dunkley tackles as hard as anyone in the comp.

IMO I’m not sure it’s mongrel we need, more that our mids (outside of Dunkley) need to add a stronger defensive element to their game as when the momentum shifts we struggle to stop really damaging clearances. Mitchell laying 13 tackles was telling compared to Lachie’s 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An extra mid is definitely preferred. I’m hoping that’s maybe why we’ve cooler on Chol because we see it as a greater need in the short term.

We need to maximise our chances in the next 2 years and with Will missing half the year next year and our depth pretty thin (and unexposed), we are a Lachie/Dunks/Hugh injury away from really struggling there.

The only player I can really see being able to develop for this within is Cam, but again this would require him to get to the prerequisite fitness levels required to play there.

An extra mid is definitely preferred. I’m hoping that’s maybe why we’ve cooler on Chol because we see it as a greater need in the short term.

We need to maximise our chances in the next 2 years and with Will missing half the year next year and our depth pretty thin (and unexposed), we are a Lachie/Dunks/Hugh injury away from really struggling there.

The only player I can really see being able to develop for this within is Cam, but again this would require him to get to the prerequisite fitness levels required to play there.
Tunstill? Or perhaps Starc in the middle has been floated before.

Tunstill? Or perhaps Starc in the middle has been floated before.
Yeah maybe Tunstill mate, but again he’s unexposed so we don’t know if he’s up to it or not. For a team who is in contention right now it’s not ideal, but it may be the risk we have to take.

The other one is Berry. He’s an inside mid playing wing, probably because of his body but as dlanod said, maybe we just need to risk it now to take that next step.

Last edited:
I mentioned Billings yesterday but after thinking about it more, he’s really the one that makes most sense. Trust our high performance team to get his body right. He is a good user of the ball and plays a position that we don’t have great strength in (wing). According to reports this morning he’s just looking for a team to make an offer. I wonder if he’d take a bit less to have a shot at a flag?

Yeah maybe Tunstill mate, but again he’s unexposed so we don’t know if he’s up to it or not. For a team who is in contention right now it’s not ideal, but it may be the risk we have to take.

The other one is Berry. He’s an inside mid playing wing, probably because of his body but as dlanod said, maybe we just need to risk it now to take that next step.
It has to be more than that as he rarely goes in there. Surely his body is not that bad that he can't play on ball for a portion of the game. Guess the question is then if plays on ball who goes on the wing.

I like what I saw of Tunstill. I think he could rotate with Berry from on ball to wing.

Strong mail is that Dev is leaving us. Terms already agreed to just a signature is all that is left. Really dont think we get a lot for him either.

I’m not 100% sure he has committed to the eagles or anywhere else, however getting beat on Saturday may just burn a lot longer for Dev to the point he may in fact want to go one step further with the Lions.

As per my conversations with him, I very much got the feeling that had the lions won, he was gone, the fact they lost, it has given him something to think about and he knows he is giving up the premiership dream in the short term for $$$ if he chooses to leave.

It has to be more than that as he rarely goes in there. Surely his body is not that bad that he can't play on ball for a portion of the game. Guess the question is then if plays on ball who goes on the wing.

I like what I saw of Tunstill. I think he could rotate with Berry from on ball to wing.
If we don’t recruit another wing, Sharp is the one we have to hope really takes a huge step. Think he could be very useful for us, especially on a ground like the MCG, where for different reasons it looks like your wingers have more say in a result.

Fair enough. I do agree the defensive side of our midfield still needs a bit of work as does the need for plans B and C to stem bleeding. I think we got better at that through the year, but yeah, it still needs some work. It all just outlines the need for growth from players and coaches.
Honestly can’t see where or when.

The defensive side of our midfield starts with our half forwards, Bailey and Rayner, and to a lesser extent Zorko.

It’s easy to shut down young, inexperienced sides, or one dimensional teams.

Harder to shut down teams with equal talent and experience.

I didn’t see any growth through the season from our team as a whole unit, in being able to shut down good opposition.

What I did see was Charlie popping up at times in our defensive 50 saving the day. But that is robbing our ability to transition the ball out of defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back