List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So much said so far about who should be traded and who should come in.
Brisbane just lost a Grand Final by ONLY 4 points. One kick only. With a bit of luck, none of the previous discussion would have been relevant.
So much said about Dev staying or going, Cam not doing enough, Where should Berry play or should a trade be considered.

Here's my thoughts on making up that extra goal to win a premiership.

We missed Ashcroft and Payne. Huge losses. Grunt out of the middle and another big bloke on the backline to take the heat of Harris.
General field kicking can improve. Too much kick and hope. Missing easy targets. Collingwood did this much better.
Starcevich tapered of as the year went on. Once upon a time he was known for not losing one on ones. Definitely struggled. He was just one of several that were slightly below their usual game.
Ah Chee struggled to produce his best. His best looks great, but it wasn't there on Saturday.
Fletcher and Wilmot as we know will be great, but it was a grand final, and maybe too much was expected of them. Still just kids.
The big issue in the Grand Final was the lack of bravery of ball use and flair. The slow transitions out of the backline and the switch of play across the ground look predictable and out of character from earlier in the year. What was missing was the line breaking plays into the forward line. Turnover transition goals.
I'm sure with a bit of game plan tinkering, a bit of luck with injuries, and a year more of maturity, they can be bigger and better next year. This years result bloody hurt.

The addition of any of Doedee, Coffield, Chol or any other cheap pick ups will help for depth, but realistically the next premiership team is already there.

Good post. Would say that putting injuries aside Doedee is a better pick up than depth - a genuine intercept marker as a third tall which would help take the load of Harris. One criticism I've had of our backline in previous years is that we are short defenders who go for and complete their marks.

Of course, the big issue with Doedee is the injury and that's why Adelaide aren't offering him a long term deal. But makes sense for us given we don't have to give up a draft pick.

Beyond anything else further defensive improvements are what can take us further. I generally think our offensive method was miles better this year compared to last and stood up against better defensive teams for the most part.

Last edited:
It’s interesting, but add Will back in and who goes out?

Let’s assume Lohman breaks into the team next year as well, who’s out for Kai?

If Dev goes any chance McCarthy pushed up the ground to play Devs role making room for Kai?

Payne in for Lester I think. Allows two lock down defenders in Gardiner and Starch.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Zorko, Ah Chee and Dev could make way

Doedee would be a huge asset. His intercept marking ability is fantastic.

Would be very difficult to play two negating forwards on him and Andrews, with Payne also no slouch in that area.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been any other clubs linked to him, but one player I’d like to keep is Answerth - his ability to lockdown and kill the ball is underrated IMO. I’d then try Starc on a wing or hand him some midfield minutes.

Doedee would be a huge asset. His intercept marking ability is fantastic.

Would be very difficult to play two negating forwards on him and Andrews, with Payne also no slouch in that area.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been any other clubs linked to him, but one player I’d like to keep is Answerth - his ability to lockdown and kill the ball is underrated IMO. I’d then try Starc on a wing or hand him some midfield minutes.
I really liked Answerth VFL season got a lot of inside minutes he’s run and carry was fantastic in the VFL

Bezza hasn't risen to the level of say the Suitcase.

Both OOC next year. Suitcase in the leadership group has to be the priority

Bezza might be longing for home in VIC - but you'd have to trade him for a player or a 1st rounder
All three Berry boys now live in south east QLD.

Ok here is a hypothetical if Dev leaves, Zork and Gunston retire.

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Payne
HB: McKenna, Doedee, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Prestia
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthy
FF: Rayner, Daniher, Bailey
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Ashcroft
IC: Coffield, Fletcher, Wilmot, Ah Chee
EMG: Lyons, Fort, Berry, Fletcher

Is that doable? Obviously those emergencies are very strong and come in and out as needed.

Not sure I buy this, because west coast or wherever wouldn’t exactly be paying him huge coin (he’s a largely unproven player); what they can offer him is consistent game time as a mid.

All reports both here and in the media were that he loves Brisbane and wants to stay, but was frustrated with the lack of opportunity. If we don’t re-sign Zorko, he’s basically guaranteed a starting 22 spot (and probably would be even if Zorko stays on until Ashcroft is back at the very least).
Who exactly is West Coast paying?

They’re going to have a quarter (or more) of their list on draftee or rookie wages next year, and that’s probably the case in ‘25 and ‘26 as well.

Apart from Barrass, the rest of their big name players have either retired or are in the last year of their big contract next season.

Ok here is a hypothetical if Dev leaves, Zork and Gunston retire.

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Payne
HB: McKenna, Doedee, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Prestia
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthy
FF: Rayner, Daniher, Bailey
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Ashcroft
IC: Coffield, Fletcher, Wilmot, Ah Chee
EMG: Lyons, Fort, Berry, Fletcher

Is that doable? Obviously those emergencies are very strong and come in and out as needed.
Payne and Doedee out of position probably switch them also Fletcher is clearly Best 18

Strong mail is that Dev is leaving us. Terms already agreed to just a signature is all that is left. Really dont think we get a lot for him either.
Dont worry about fellow. Dev we will treat him real nice a deal will be made to make all parties happy.

You will see Dev again don't worry. He will just be in captain's photos. Since Dev I'd say is captain material for us.

Yes because he's Darren glass nephew by default a huge portion of wce base will push for his captaincy 😍😍😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont worry about fellow. Dev we will treat him real nice a deal will be made to make all parties happy.

You will see Dev again don't worry. He will just be in captain's photos. Since Dev I'd say is captain material for us.

Yes because he's Darren glass nephew by default a huge portion of wce base will push for his captaincy 😍😍😍

What?

The Prestia suggestions are intriguing.
Any thoughts on what trades it would take to get him?
What sort of salary would he be need to be paid?

I haven't read all the way back so apologies if it's covered, but is there any likelihood of chasing Grundy or even Lycett, something to deal with Big O. Honestly feel like he is near the bottom of first ruckman right now.

Agree with most of your post. Both times we played Collingwood this year in the home & away games our pressure was epic & we were able to control most of each game. In Saturday's game, Collingwood played a manic style of football that was high risk along with high reward and it won them the game. Applying pressure on the ball carrier was extremely difficult because they moved it so quick and forward at all costs which made it harder for us the have the opportunity to turn it over like we did in past games.
That said, our season was awesome and our club showed us they are capable of going another step in 2024. If we had won the game by 4 points, most of the negative comments would not be posted. I have no doubt our leaders of the club will address the issues they see as where we can improve and then lock & load next year.
Agreed. High risk high reward but high work rate too.
They always want number superiority at and around the ball.....out numbering their opponents, creating that pressure and developing a reactive/panicked disposal from their opponents. This allows their intercept game to come into play if the turnover doesn't happen.

They risk letting easy scores through if their opponents can exit through the front of their press, as their half back and skint winger usually form part of that press and when one gets beaten the next is in and so on and so forth. If you beat enough they breakdown. Exiting through the front is the quickest way to collapse their system in the middle of the ground. (This can only happen through high work rate and an element of risk forward of the ball "cheating" so they call it) The best example of this was the game at the Gabba.

It is significantly more difficult to do from their forward 50, because of how they setup behind the ball.

I would love to see how an old fashioned full ground man on man/ one on one would go against them tactically. If you got the match ups right and setup your outlets.......it might go alright??

Zac needs to get more midfield minutes next season he has the pace and contest we’re missing ATM
I think this is true.
Zac could be pretty special in the middle from a defensive point of view if he is mature, motivated and driven enough? ( this is my question mark on him)

He has all the attributes to be that pressure player on the outside.
His pace and his ability to stick tackles against bigger bodies. Could be the move.

I think this is true.
Zac could be pretty special in the middle from a defensive point of view if he is mature, motivated and driven enough? ( this is my question mark on him)

He has all the attributes to be that pressure player on the outside.
His pace and his ability to stick tackles against bigger bodies. Could be the move.

Zac Bailey? When was the last time he stuck a tackle?

Zac Bailey? When was the last time he stuck a tackle?
As I said in my post....he has the ability to and has shown he can if motivated (?), but in my opinion if he was given a pressure mid role and he embraced it, then he would be great at it because of his attributes.

I would say Zac is not the only player who could improve their defensive work rate this off-season, but as a specific role change he would be great at it "IF" he commits to it like he does when getting forward and kicking goals. ( to be fair his current role dictates that)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back