List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL watchers, got a question for you.

What have you thought of Smith, Lane and Fort this season? Can any of them play forward well? I know all three of them are considered forward rucks on the personnel sheet, just thinking about options. I don't think there are any second-league forwards or delisted agents in the forward half worth picking up this year.
Fort, competent AFL ruck, behind Oscar, then Smith maybe ruck forward approaching Fullerton standard but very hopefully some improvement to come, then Lane ruck only, i like him but long odds to develop into AFL level player, but young and very very hopefully some improvement to come.

The other obvious player is Rayner. After this pre-season, if can’t get himself in the shape required to play a sustained midfield role, then he plays as a permanent half forward and only a permanent half forward. He should then be judged on his output and not be immune from consequences for repeated poor or inconsistent form.
The same Rayner who got 5th in the BnF who obviously played his role pretty well throughout the year.

There are still a few big blokes out there that could be the third forward target. Lots of previous suggestions worth a thought. Mc Laughlin, Chol, Jeka, and others. The reality is that they will mainly be backups with a few games in the firsts.

Radical thought. What's Jack Riewoldt doing in 2024? He could be handy to fill in for targeted games. He could provide a role similar to what Hodge did for the backline, but not to be expected to play every game. He's probably going to be involve with the new Tassie team down the track, and if that is going to be in an initial coaching or mentor role, he could start his education on a 12 month contract at Brisbane.

Given Eric's mobility, I wonder if shifting him to the third tall might work well.
There are still a few big blokes out there that could be the third forward target. Lots of previous suggestions worth a thought. Mc Laughlin, Chol, Jeka, and others. The reality is that they will mainly be backups with a few games in the firsts.

Radical thought. What's Jack Riewoldt doing in 2024? He could be handy to fill in for targeted games. He could provide a role similar to what Hodge did for the backline, but not to be expected to play every game. He's probably going to be involve with the new Tassie team down the track, and if that is going to be in an initial coaching or mentor role, he could start his education on a 12 month contract at Brisbane.

I think he's going into media work, Vic-based.

Given Eric's mobility, I wonder if shifting him to the third tall might work well.

I think he's going into media work, Vic-based.
Doesn't surprise that he would go into media.

Just wondering if the lure of passing 800 career goal, 350 career games, another premiership medal, and the chance to sing Mr Brightside one more time, could be tempting.

I would have liked us to look at Khamis. Saw him play a VFL final against Casey and he had some promise. Nice hands, pace and leading patterns.

Signed a one year deal at the Dogs recently which is unfortunate timing for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked us to look at Khamis. Saw him play a VFL final against Casey and he had some promise. Nice hands, pace and leading patterns.

Signed a one year deal at the Dogs recently which is unfortunate timing for us.

That one year extension by Khamis is a mistake. He had a decent VFL season with 41 goals and there was a bit of interest in him out there. Could've scored 2 year deal at a minimum with some other club.

If he continues in VFL next year for Dogs (which will more than likely happen due to Naughton, JUH, Darcy etc) and Khamis has a poor season, off goes his chance of establishing himself at another club.

That one year extension by Khamis is a mistake. He had a decent VFL season with 41 goals and there was a bit of interest in him out there. Could've scored 2 year deal at a minimum with some other club.

If he continues in VFL next year for Dogs (which will more than likely happen due to Naughton, JUH, Darcy etc) and Khamis has a poor season, off goes his chance of establishing himself at another club.

Until the end of next year when when English and JUH leaves

Until the end of next year when when English and JUH leaves

Yep but it doesn't help Khamis to develop in the mean time. Dogs are chockers for talls and Jordon Croft is arriving as well.

Khamis could have a shocking season in 2s and be in the scrapheap by then.

Last edited:
6 list changes would be considered a very quiet year.
Agree six is below average.
North & Swans have the equal most at this stage with 10.

Lions with 4 to date being Adams, Rich, Cockatoo, Fullarton.
I imagine a few more to come.

Gunston: Now likely

OOC
Matho: Likely
B Coleman: Possibly
McDowell- White: Possibly

Zorko: Should get another 12 months.

I'm not going to lie, Gunston asking to be traded to Hawthorne, without talking to Hawthorne prior, in the middle of the trade period, without notifying the team he's playing for, screams average.

I understand that he's had a rough time with his family stuff, and is at the end of his career, but it looks like he wanted a quick 4th premiership then wanted to head back home. If the club knew about this beforehand, we may have fought harder to keep Fullerton or tried to organize another forward this trade period.

Now it looks like we'll be down a couple of list spots with no key forward depth if Hippy or Daniher go down.

We were never keeping Fullarton - with or without Jack.

Another one who would fit the profile we're after is Rory Lobb. Had a poor year at Dogs in 2023, was pretty good at Fremantle as a third tall + part time ruck in 2022. He moved to Melbourne wanting to be closer to his partner so there is little reason for him to leave.

Another one who would fit the profile we're after is Rory Lobb. Had a poor year at Dogs in 2023, was pretty good at Fremantle as a third tall + part time ruck in 2022. He moved to Melbourne wanting to be closer to his partner so there is little reason for him to leave.

He's playing a lot of VFL when Darcy is fit

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back