2nds 2023 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard Kiddy say on more than 1 occasion that he was a massive Collingwood fan growing up. Pretty sure that Blake was too so there may have been some thought that if Blake got there Kiddy might want to follow.
But you would want to back the culture of the club to keep him either way.
Further to the above I find it pretty tough to see Blake earning another contract after this year unless we do lose Lohmann. Which I really hope we are able to hang on to him.

Hearing that Arnold is nearly a lock to be taken by Swans tomorrow night which still staggers me, but good luck to him and hopefully if mail is right he gets an opportunity in next 6 months
And yet we could have signed up with us and played in our AFL team by now, how sad :sadv1:

#wastedopportunity

And yet we could have signed up with us and played in our AFL team by now, how sad :sadv1:

#wastedopportunity

So easy in hindsight though. It's easy to understand the logic behind going Joyce. Guaranteed we'd have gone Arnold if we had this body of work to make a judgement on.

Besides that, there's no guarantee he makes it past a 6 month contract.
Player nominates either a 6 month or 18 month contract when they register their name for MSD.

Clubs do not have any control of that, other than deciding if they wish to draft a player nominating for 6 months or 18 months.

Last I heard, 40+ players had nominated for 18 month contracts.

I’d hazard to guess that almost all the more likely to get draft prospects would have nominated 18 month contracts.

Could Harrison Arnold be the next Tom Stewart?

Tom Stewart was a mature aged recruit in the 2016 national draft at pick 40, he made his debut in 2017 at 24 years of age... he is a 4 time All Australian and a B&F winner.

Just another pot shot in hindsight on the back of one good game. But I'm sure Reville's 11 games (for 4 goals return) in the VFL last year were brilliant ones too. Or is your defintion of "absolute howler" somehow not what I'm thinking it is?

Reville has finished Top 3 in the VFL/NEAFL B&F three times now (I think?) - so I don't believe a good game on the weekend was a one off.

Reading today that Arnold is less likely given that swans could pick up the pair of mcdonald and hore together so they have a ready-made backline. I like Arnold and would like to see him recruited for us in the seniors as a backup tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one level a shame to lose him but surely this helps our VFL recruitment though? If I was considering two clubs the one that gets a guy into the big leagues would definitely have extra appeal. Also well done to the Arnold family, must be an exciting time.
So Richmond VFL, Footscray VFL or Box Hill Hawks.

Reading today that Arnold is less likely given that swans could pick up the pair of mcdonald and hore together so they have a ready-made backline. I like Arnold and would like to see him recruited for us in the seniors as a backup tall.
I would have thought McDonald or Hore were safer pick for Swans. Think both definitely better intercept marks than Arnold by a long way.

But obviously they seen something in him that they like . From what I have seen and most of the people I know that have watched him closely over last 3 years I think he is still short of AFL standard, but that’s the great thing about our game I suppose.

I would have thought McDonald or Hore were safer pick for Swans. Think both definitely better intercept marks than Arnold by a long way.

But obviously they seen something in him that they like . From what I have seen and most of the people I know that have watched him closely over last 3 years I think he is still short of AFL standard, but that’s the great thing about our game I suppose.
Yeah i just love his intercept game, good on him though, hope he keeps his spot in the new year

Reckon we will debut in back half of year

Can you tell us more about Arnold? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Why has he never been drafted? And what has changed? I gather he was injured a bit in the past couple of years and then has had a good run of form this season in the VFL?

Can you tell us more about Arnold? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Why has he never been drafted? And what has changed? I gather he was injured a bit in the past couple of years and then has had a good run of form this season in the VFL?
Very mobile key defender that has had experience forward, but yes, he has had a lot of injuries across his career, struggled with them when he was younger and copped an injury last year too IIRC. He hasn't really had a solid run, a good intercept defender. I can't remember any clear weaknesses.

Very mobile key defender that has had experience forward, but yes, he has had a lot of injuries across his career, struggled with them when he was younger and copped an injury last year too IIRC. He hasn't really had a solid run, a good intercept defender. I can't remember any clear weaknesses.

But hard to judge at VFL level but probably question marks playing on the really big forwards.

Broke his clavicle and missed the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back