2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

c1ed9228c27a054772dedd2ffb8b6b80.jpg

8aeefb013bca26a789eaceb007ca7d33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a point involving Ainsworth

If he leaves he will be the final failure of the Suns super draft where we picked up Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes in the top 10. Clubs like Hawthorn build multiple premiership teams off drafts like this, Franklin, Roughead and Lewis in 2004.

If he leaves he will be the final failure of the Suns super draft where we picked up Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes in the top 10. Clubs like Hawthorn build multiple premiership teams off drafts like this, Franklin, Roughead and Lewis in 2004.
That is true. It was an underwhelming draft.

I’ll also say this: not all drafts are equal.

In fairness, for Hawthorn it was just the right year, the right players.

Say we had our time again, and we could completely re-do that 2016 draft - who do we get instead?

No point getting Tim English, who is the best player available at our first pick. We have Witts entering his prime.

The other players taken in the first round were Sam Petrevski-Seton (terrible), Will Setterfield (traded 3 times, okay player), Griffin Logue (not good), Oliver Florent (okay, very outside player), Jy Simpkin (not great not terrible), Daniel Venables (retired), Harry Perryman (GWS academy), Jordan Gallucci (delisted), Todd Marshall (decent forward), Jarrod Berry (role player), Sam Powell-Pepper (role player), and Isaac Cumming (GWS academy)

Best available outcome in the draft for us would have been Tom Stewart, Nick Larkey, Luke Ryan and probably Jordan Ridley, all of whom would have caused riots amongst all draft watchers at the time if they'd been taken in the first round.

Probably one of the worst drafts in recent memory and the only 2 players that I would really want from it would be Taranto and McCluggage, neither of whom are world beaters, rather just very good players.

Say we had our time again, and we could completely re-do that 2016 draft - who do we get instead?

No point getting Tim English, who is the best player available at our first pick. We have Witts entering his prime.

Best available outcome in the draft for us would have been Tom Stewart, Nick Larkey, Luke Ryan and probably Jordan Ridley, all of whom would have caused riots amongst all draft watchers at the time if they'd been taken in the first round.

Probably one of the worst drafts in recent memory and the only 2 players that I would really want from it would be Taranto and McCluggage, neither of whom are world beaters, rather just very good players.
No guarantee we would of developed the players correctly either. Our player development has come a long way since 2016.

No guarantee we would of developed the players correctly either. Our player development has come a long way since 2016.
While I agree, I just don't think even with a club like Geelong who has exceptional player development, that this draft would have been worth investing in in retrospect.

While I agree, I just don't think even with a club like Geelong who has exceptional player development, that this draft would have been worth investing in in retrospect.
Oh 100% I was meaning the Stewart's, Ridleys etc would of turned out like Bowes, Brodie etc with us. Fully agree, it just wasn't a good draft. Can't always be good. It's why i think people overrate draft picks to much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get Dusty for $500k next year then I think we'd all collectively celebrate it as a major win for the club. The league average currently sits around $440k so it really would be an average wage if Dusty were to accept the offer and I think it would really show the fans that he's fair dinkum about wanting to play for us. Landing a player of his stature and NOT having to overpay is such a rarity for a club like ours.

If we get Dusty for $500k next year then I think we'd all collectively celebrate it as a major win for the club. The league average currently sits around $440k so it really would be an average wage if Dusty were to accept the offer and I think it would really show the fans that he's fair dinkum about wanting to play for us. Landing a player of his stature and NOT having to overpay is such a rarity for a club like ours.
Dusty wont play for $500k thats just silly when average salary id around $450k next year
GC would need the AFL to chip in around $200k with some marketing stuff or something

Dusty wont play for $500k thats just silly when average salary id around $450k next year
GC would need the AFL to chip in around $200k with some marketing stuff or something
If he won't play for it then he won't come. He isn't worth much more than that these days. Starting to slow down massively.

how many years and how much a year is his remaining contract at Richmond (if any)?

The other players taken in the first round were Sam Petrevski-Seton (terrible), Will Setterfield (traded 3 times, okay player), Griffin Logue (not good), Oliver Florent (okay, very outside player), Jy Simpkin (not great not terrible), Daniel Venables (retired), Harry Perryman (GWS academy), Jordan Gallucci (delisted), Todd Marshall (decent forward), Jarrod Berry (role player), Sam Powell-Pepper (role player), and Isaac Cumming (GWS academy)

All your points are valid, I suppose I am lamenting that it’s looking like 0 for 4 and we have received nothing in return. In fact gave up another top 10 pick to get rid of one of them. 🤦‍♂️

If he won't play for it then he won't come. He isn't worth much more than that these days. Starting to slow down massively.
Dusty is still a gun its just the players around him are no longer the same quality and it shows
Dusty playing fwd/mid is easily a 30+ goal a year mid foward and lets not discount he is a big game player and a winning team lifts him to another level.

But think the cap space is the biggest issue with the GC/Dusty thing and most likely wont happen

Last edited:
Dusty is still a gun its just the players around him are no longer the same quality and it shows
Dusty playing fwd/mid is easily a 30+ goal a year mid foward and lets not discount he is a big game player and a winning team lifts him to another level.

But think the cap space is the biggest issue with the GC/Dusty thing and most likely wont happen

He was a gun, one of the greatest of all time but he’s visibly slowed down this season. Seems to get tackled more often now and hesitant to bullock packs like in his prime. His name will always strike fear on a team sheet, but I worry what he will actually produce onfield should he play on.

He's still well above holman who we've been paying well above average wage for a few years. I like the stance the club is making though, can't afford to over pay anymore. Still think dusty might appreciate the change in lifestyle though and be happy to not get top dollar, time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back