2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with Dustin Martin and him being paid unders is I’m in no doubt he wants to live here post retirement and he might be keen to start that life now.
Will be an interesting watch for the next few months. If he is keen to come here and play on $500-600k a year then I reckon it’s worthwhile as he will give us more than Holman and Berry are. If Ainsworth leaves then it’s a logical option to bring Dusty in to fill that void. Dusty is dangerous as a pressure forward and can score quickly. Reckon he would thrive in the warm weather and it would be easier on his joints compared to the cold weather. Could see him turning back the clock up on the Gold Coast. The lifestyle cough.. glitter strip/Cavill Avenue would provide him with the right balance.

Will be an interesting watch for the next few months. If he is keen to come here and play on $500-600k a year then I reckon it’s worthwhile as he will give us more than Holman and Berry are. If Ainsworth leaves then it’s a logical option to bring Dusty in to fill that void. Dusty is dangerous as a pressure forward and can score quickly. Reckon he would thrive in the warm weather and it would be easier on his joints compared to the cold weather. Could see him turning back the clock up on the Gold Coast. The lifestyle cough.. glitter strip/Cavill Avenue would provide him with the right balance.
Dusty has been a great player for a long time, but something he absolutely is not, is a pressure forward haha.

I think he can see the end is coming fast for Witta, could be the primary ruck as early as next year
Suspect you are correct.

It's prefect succession planning if he stays really. Maybe they split the games 50/50 next year and Witts is the back up the year after.

He was a gun, one of the greatest of all time but he’s visibly slowed down this season. Seems to get tackled more often now and hesitant to bullock packs like in his prime. His name will always strike fear on a team sheet, but I worry what he will actually produce onfield should he play on.
I personally think his current form is due to his environment
The players he is playing with today can no longer allow him to play his usual game and that's being totally attacking and not defending and thats when he does the most damage.

He is 2nd guessing how the ball comes in and if his team mates will win it so is not running foward as much and becomes less daring and more risk averse

Dusty in a strong team will still be a weapon capable of 20 touches 1-2 goals and atract an extra 20,000 to games
Not to mention memberships and young kids following the game/Club

Take dusty out of Richmond and put him into Carlton /. Sydney / Fremantle / Collingwood and Dusty will come back to life

But in saying that hope he stays at Richmond for another 3 years , I would be happy to see him sign a 3 x $600k - $650k deal to remain at Richmond

Dusty looked like a guy saying goodbye last week. Was it just to the Tiger Army or the AFL?

It screamed 'goodbye' to me. He did a lap of the square waving, 'goodbye'. Clapping them, 'thank you'. The bit everyone seems to hang on to is his final comment;

"Will you be back after the bye"

"Yeah, We'll see how we go.."

Everyone took 'yeah' as the answer. When the real part was 'we'll see how we go'. Which is non commital. He was overwhelmed. Which i believe is why one cant read too much into the 'yeah'. He may be back after the bye. But i think it was an opportunity to say 'goodbye' without having to announce anything. In which case i believe his 'retirement' will take place at some point this year. ..and to the GC for the pre season.

I dont think how much GC pays him is the motivation. Hes going to be tripping over loot from all angles if he comes up here. He needs a new challenge. Which is the best motivation he can have at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the addition of “very advantaged or” once it gets to travel. Cheeky!

I dunno if our facilities are a disadvantage though. I thought they stacked up well enough against the smaller clubs, of which we are.

Some of this is also unavoidable. But now is the time to look at all aspects. Time to see if the AFL wants to even things out or just do knee-jerk things to appease some clubs.

I like the addition of “very advantaged or” once it gets to travel. Cheeky!

I dunno if our facilities are a disadvantage though. I thought they stacked up well enough against the smaller clubs, of which we are.

Some of this is also unavoidable. But now is the time to look at all aspects. Time to see if the AFL wants to even things out or just do knee-jerk things to appease some clubs.
I am pretty sure by facilities he means Suns are responsible for them, maintenance, etc. It cost millions according to Cochrane.

I am pretty sure by facilities he means Suns are responsible for them, maintenance, etc. It cost millions according to Cochrane.

The big clubs get them sponsored as well, so the total cost much less.
The Pies have had several big sponsors for their facilities, the Eagles new training facilities are sponsored by a big mining company (Mineral Resources).

The big clubs get them sponsored as well, so the total cost much less.
The Pies have had several big sponsors for their facilities, the Eagles new training facilities are sponsored by a big mining company (Mineral Resources).
Aren’t we sponsored, too? I’m assuming the Austworld centre is our training centre, right? Obviously not a big name mining company, but we still have sponsorship.

Aren’t we sponsored, too? I’m assuming the Austworld centre is our training centre, right? Obviously not a big name mining company, but we still have sponsorship.

Should have said 'heavily' sponsored (part of the reason would be b/c I forgot we had sponsorship yet I remembered the Eagles' one).
Would have to be orders of magnitude difference b/c of the relative size of the audience, which is also true for any off-field activity (media gigs, sponsorship, cashies).
Notice that it is the 'expansion clubs' on the bottom line of the list, not interstate clubs. Some of the older interstate clubs would have an advantage in the off-field areas, especially for players.

I think I am with Chris Scott and Fly McCrae here. Some of the advantages and disadvantages are baked in and you just have to get on with it and make the most of what you get (and which is why we have to fight tooth and nail to keep the academy as is).
Try to minimise some of the others (like teams with heavy travel should limit the amount of long haul flights) but money talks in the end and the big clubs will keep getting the big venues and the best timeslots and we will keep travelling to Perth, Tassie, Ballarat etc and not playing on the MCG much b/c we are small and shit and not enough people will kick up a stink.

Should have said 'heavily' sponsored (part of the reason would be b/c I forgot we had sponsorship yet I remembered the Eagles' one).
Would have to be orders of magnitude difference b/c of the relative size of the audience, which is also true for any off-field activity (media gigs, sponsorship, cashies).
Notice that it is the 'expansion clubs' on the bottom line of the list, not interstate clubs. Some of the older interstate clubs would have an advantage in the off-field areas, especially for players.

I think I am with Chris Scott and Fly McCrae here. Some of the advantages and disadvantages are baked in and you just have to get on with it and make the most of what you get (and which is why we have to fight tooth and nail to keep the academy as is).
Try to minimise some of the others (like teams with heavy travel should limit the amount of long haul flights) but money talks in the end and the big clubs will keep getting the big venues and the best timeslots and we will keep travelling to Perth, Tassie, Ballarat etc and not playing on the MCG much b/c we are small and shit and not enough people will kick up a stink.
Yeah, that’s fair. It’s never going to be even (not until some Melb clubs relocate, which will probably happen eventually).

Interstate teams should just have one more home game (or “opening round” should be like Gather Round, and Northern clubs get an extra game at home for the season. Then do a similar thing for WA).

Then VIC teams could also play at a neutral venue once a season to “expand the game”, or at least rotate every second year.

Doing both would eliminate up to 2 Vic games (but not “home games”) a season, minimising the chance for those 9 in a row Melb games.

Collingwood were already discussing this with a double week up on the GC, playing us and the another team the following week—possibly in school holidays or something. We then get an extra game of revenue, too, for the stadium.

So plenty of ways to balance that out and still make money for the AFL.

Third talk defender? Thought we were fully stocked
Why is Crab still on the list then?

“Evans is seen as a running defender and on-baller with a ready-made physique for the top level. He can be selected as a Category B rookie because he hasn't played any competitive football for more than three years.”

Makes more sense than us chasing him as a 3rd tall defender.

I’ve seen Carlton saying how is Jessie Motlop getting back into Carlton’s side the way they are playing and particularly there small brigade.

Maybe he is someone we could pry away put him in a pocket alongside Rosa’s you’d be some what nervous of there speed skill and evasiveness
Motlop gets a game before Durdin & Fantasia every day of the week but coming back from injury is getting eased back in. Fantasia specially is cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back