2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom morris (w***er) on SEN saying that a vic club has told Mac’s management that they are prepared to offer 1.5 mil a year over 8 years
Mac’s management stated that he is going to be at the suns in 2025 and they are working closely on a re extension so hopefully he sings on ASAP
Alex Davies Collingwood and Geelong has interest, suns have offered a two year deal but he wants guarantees at senior games, one to watch in the period

Don't doubt clubs offering Mac that kind of money. He would walk into any club and be the Face of the club, instant fan favorite and sell tickets and merch. Hope he sings on the dotted line for us... Would be an absolutely huge temptation to sign a long term deal for a big Vic club. Makes me nervous.

Don't doubt clubs offering Mac that kind of money. He would walk into any club and be the Face of the club, instant fan favorite and sell tickets and merch. Hope he sings on the dotted line for us... Would be an absolutely huge temptation to sign a long term deal for a big Vic club. Makes me nervous.
A deal will be done. Mac loves it up here.

His family's here right?
His bro refs my kids in soccer
We can't let him go
Just have to cut the list to the bone and supplement with state players on 60k a year
Same as Rowelly and Nosey
?

Even players on rookie salaries are paid more (not part of TPP).

Not sure how accurate is this info for 2024. Salaries go up significantly in 2025.
The document sets out minimum pay for players based on a variety of factors. In 2024, the minimum pay for a rookie-listed player is $90,000 and the minimum for a player outside of a rookie or draftee contract is $130,000.

?

Even players on rookie salaries are paid more (not part of TPP).

Not sure how accurate is this info for 2024. Salaries go up significantly in 2025.
Oh sure
I'm just talking minimum wage journeymen
We can't be paying George Horlin Smith types 400k a year to run around (ha ha run..ha hahhahahahahha run..sorry...give me a moment) in the VFL waiting for 6 injuries in the AFL team
"Put me in Coach!I'm reddddddyyyy!!Giddyup!"
I dont care if we lose every VFL match as long as we retain
Rowell Anderson Andrew Collo Uhwland Ballard Powell King Flanders Moyle Miller etc
It's sad guys like Day get moneyballed but it is what it is-pro football

It's sad guys like Day get moneyballed but it is what it is-pro football
I am sure Day would be happy to be on rookie list and min salary (outside TPP). Tough calls to make (or easy in case of Day if Dimma thinks we have a forward depth) but don't offer contract only to retract it a couple of weeks later. It still s**ts me such a treatment. The club must do better when dealing with players. I doubt teammates were impressed.

seems like all clubs delisting's are coming waaaay slower, I remember it usually starts thick and fast the week after the home and away round is done, wonder why it's being slow walked this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast is bracing for a looming list squeeze after being told it will lose five rookie spots in the final phase out of the 2019 assistance package that helped the club land Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson with the first two picks in that year’s national draft.
Set for review at the end of its 2024 season, Gold Coast had initially hoped the rookie list concessions would be phased out over a few years. But the club was officially told by the AFL last week that all five of its additional Category A spots would be stripped back before next year.

It leaves the Suns’ list management team with some tough calls to make in the coming weeks, as it manoeuvres to add at least Daniel Rioli and John Noble during the trade period as well as Suns Academy starlet Leo Lombard in November’s national draft.

Brandon Ellis’ retirement meant the Suns ended the season with 37 players on the primary list and eight on the rookie list. The max number of players on the primary list is 38.

Under the assistance package, the Suns were able to hold nine Category A rookies and one Category B rookie this season.

Breakout players Bodhi Uwland and Sam Clohesy are likely to be elevated ahead of next season. If Rioli, Noble and Lombard arrive as expected, that would mean five additions to a primary list that currently only has one vacancy.

And the Suns now have less wiggle room to move senior players to their rookie list, given there will be five fewer spots as of next season.

Last week this masthead reported inaugural Sun Sam Day had been told he would not be offered a contract for next season. He will likely be among the first wave of delistings, expected to be announced by the club sometime this week.

In September 2019, the AFL announced it would hand Gold Coast a sizeable assistance package that included three years’ worth of priority picks – including the No. 1 pick in that year’s draft which was used to take Rowell.

The Suns were also granted expanded academy access to the Northern Territory Zone and the ability to pre-sign Suns Academy players without having to bid on them in the draft.

The last of the priority picks were exhausted in 2021 and from last year, the club was no longer able to pre-sign Suns Academy players ahead of the draft.

That led to the Suns stockpiling a slew of draft picks to successfully match bids on Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Will Graham in the 2023 national draft.

The club will do the same this year with Larke Medallist, Lombard.

With the removal of the extra rookie list spots, the Suns are now on a level playing field with the rest of the competition – and it could even be argued they are now at a slight disadvantage, given the lack of father-son access due to the club’s relative infancy.

Even their Northern Academy advantages, shared by the Brisbane Lions, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants, will be minimal when compared to previous years.

Clubs will once again be allowed to match bids on Next Generation Academy (NGA) players from pick No. 1 this year, bringing it in line with the northern academies.

And from next year the AFL will introduce a revised draft value index that will make it harder to match bids on academy and father-son selections.

Some inaccuracies in the article. Before Ellis retiring, we had 37 players on the senior list. With Day and Oea gone we now have 4 available spots on senior list.

More senior spots could be created by players potentially leaving - Luko, Rosas, Davies, Farrar, Caleb Graham.

More senior spots could be created by not re-signing senior players - Macpherson, Lemmens, Holman, Sexton.

8 players currently on rookie cat A list - Casboult, Uwland, Clohesy, Brock, Mahoney, Rowlands, Faulkhead, Tsitas.
So from now we can have max 4 (6) with senior list 38 (36).

cat B - Johnston, Evans.

Uwland has to be upgraded but not Clohesy.

I suspect, VFL only players plan will be implemented similar to Lions.

So far probably coming in - Rioli, Noble, Lombard.

In theory we could draft only Lombard and upgrade Uwland and Clohesy.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Me thinking, in an ideal world, Lombard will receive bid after pick 10 (Suns will know when the bid comes before draft).

If Suns want to bring another top talent I would use pick 7 in draft.

Otherwise, I would shop pick 7 around for crazy overs like last year with pick 4.

We will have to pay overs for Rioli and possibly to lesser extent for Noble.

Tigers fans scream pick 7 or no deal but I expect Tigers will accept overs in the form of pick 13 + something.

Get F1 for Luko as part of the deal.

Last edited:
Me thinking, in an ideal world, Lombard will receive bid after pick 10 (Suns will know when the bid comes before draft).

If Suns want to bring another top talent I would use pick 7 in draft.

Otherwise, I would shop pick 7 around for crazy overs like last year with pick 4.

We will have to pay overs for Rioli and possibly to lesser extent for Noble.

Tigers fans scream pick 7 or no deal but I expect Tigers will accept overs in the form of pick 13 + something.

Get F1 for Luko as part of the deal.
13 and 20 makes sense. We need the hawks to do us a favour this week so the dogs' pick doesn't balloon out too far.

Do you know what the deal is with us matching a possible top 3 pick for Uwland next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back