2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well on the weekend, but the AFL have just changed the rules so Essendon can bid on him as an NGA prospect.
My problem with next gen academies, as opposed to northern academies is that teams do **** all development with them. I have a bunch of friends who were part of their zoned NGA in Melbourne and they literally had almost no contact with the clubs outside the initial signing phase.

They basically find out which players in their zone are semi decent juniors, born overseas or who had parents born overseas, get them to sign the paperwork that links them to the club and then wait to see if they kick on. Optional development sessions, no development league or game opportunities, they're just a feeder program for Victorian clubs to stop them complaining about northern academies.

My problem with next gen academies, as opposed to northern academies is that teams do **** all development with them. I have a bunch of friends who were part of their zoned NGA in Melbourne and they literally had almost no contact with the clubs outside the initial signing phase.

They basically find out which players in their zone are semi decent juniors, born overseas or who had parents born overseas, get them to sign the paperwork that links them to the club and then wait to see if they kick on. Optional development sessions, no development league or game opportunities, they're just a feeder program for Victorian clubs to stop them complaining about northern academies.
Maybe it varies from club to club, but I feel clubs have increased their connection lately. Maybe some more than others. I know the pies have. We re-opened our FA/NGA academy where the kids from all ages get 20 training sessions a year. Plus all the other stuff like diet, gym etc Those in the high performance (16-18) are highly looked after. One of pies NGA players die his ACL a couple months ago during school footy, and they have helped him out a great deal. We tend to play our players in the vfl when there is an opportunity.

After covid it was pretty poor I agree, $ and resources were cut to a point where clubs wondered why they should put more money into the academies if they didn't get access to them.

Does nothing to stop their complaining

Maybe it varies from club to club, but I feel clubs have increased their connection lately. Maybe some more than others. I know the pies have. We re-opened our FA/NGA academy where the kids from all ages get 20 training sessions a year. Plus all the other stuff like diet, gym etc Those in the high performance (16-18) are highly looked after. One of pies NGA players die his ACL a couple months ago during school footy, and they have helped him out a great deal. We tend to play our players in the vfl when there is an opportunity.

After covid it was pretty poor I agree, $ and resources were cut to a point where clubs wondered why they should put more money into the academies if they didn't get access to them.
Yeah I can't speak on the pies academy specifically but certainly the other academies i've heard about do very little to develop players.

It also does feel like players who have opportunity within APS football or Coates Talent League shouldn't really have access to the club linked academies as is, given they are as established as you can be within junior football and the purpose of academies is to increase participation within non-traditional football communities.

I feel this way about father-son linked players being in northern academies too.

Yeah I can't speak on the pies academy specifically but certainly the other academies i've heard about do very little to develop players.

It also does feel like players who have opportunity within APS football or Coates Talent League shouldn't really have access to the club linked academies as is, given they are as established as you can be within junior football and the purpose of academies is to increase participation within non-traditional football communities.

I feel this way about father-son linked players being in northern academies too.
Yeah, it's not perfect by any means. There should be more ways to get kids who arent in pathways into the system. Maybe its easier said than done.

generally if you're from melb and have some sort of talent, scouts find you and you into a private school or at least into one of the CTL clubs to develop.
What is the solution here? Think we need extra resources to find and develop talent outside the systems.

Yeah, it's not perfect by any means. There should be more ways to get kids who arent in pathways into the system. Maybe its easier said than done.

generally if you're from melb and have some sort of talent, scouts find you and you into a private school or at least into one of the CTL clubs to develop.
What is the solution here? Think we need extra resources to find and develop talent outside the systems.
The solution is that if they have enough talent to be given an APS scholarship or if you play in the Coates league you just don't qualify for a clubs academy. Or perhaps the club just has no priority access to that player from a draft perspective but they can still do development sessions with them.

There definitely should be more resources given to them, but it needs to be used for the actual purpose of the next generation academies which is to bring in kids from non-AFL background or communities into the sport.

it's like when North Melbourne signed Ryley Sanders to their NGA and tried to get priority access to him last year about a month out from the draft. The fact that it was even considered was ridiculous.

We should be trading up to try and take Kako in the draft. Would be the perfect small forward for Dimmas gameplan.
Tied to Essendon as an NGA. New update from the AFL today means they can get him now.

Also, it looks like a few changes are coming in that will benefit Melbourne clubs big time. Not just easily matching any NGA, but it is being proposed to be able to rookie-list father-sons (not sure on the possible rules yet, just mentioned in a Fox Footy article).

If that’s the case, then surely the Northern Academies aren’t getting touched. Can’t boost up one and hamstring the other.

Tied to Essendon as an NGA. New update from the AFL today means they can get him now.

Also, it looks like a few changes are coming in that will benefit Melbourne clubs big time. Not just easily matching any NGA, but it is being proposed to be able to rookie-list father-sons (not sure on the possible rules yet, just mentioned in a Fox Footy article).

If that’s the case, then surely the Northern Academies aren’t getting touched. Can’t boost up one and hamstring the other.
You've met AFL House right?

With the NGA, a bit of give and take there. Either get rid of it all together, or give clubs an incentive to do some work.

Why would a club spend time and money developing an NGA player just for another club to pick the player in the top 20 or top 40? Most would do nothing and hope for a lottery ticket to come through.

Suspect they are going to live with the anomalies (kids who would have made it anyway) just to get more effective club involvement at junior levels.

If they get a couple of kids a year on lists that would not be there otherwise, they would see that as a win for the game overall, not just b/c of the draftees but b/c there are probably 20 other kids that got close to getting drafted that would not have been at that level.

This is a key part of the argument for the northern acadamies. It is not about the kids that would have made it anyway, it is about the extra kids you bring along to all levels of the game. For us that is not just AFL, but also extra players at VFL and QAFL levels. Which is why the AFL does not want to touch the northern academies, they want them even stronger.

Plus, get ready for the Melbourne Demon melts about Mac Andrew.

Also, it looks like a few changes are coming in that will benefit Melbourne clubs big time.
I’m shocked to be sitting here. Well, not that shocked.

But I believe this is what the Suns have pushed for throughout this process? We know what a goldmine we are sitting on with the momentum we have, so they would rather open access to academy picks for all clubs if it means they don’t touch our academy access.

Hopefully the AFL legitimises the NGA’s instead of clubs just pulling Coates League players in last minute and claiming them as their own so the investment actually means something, but I fully believe this will just result in clubs going back to diving into players backgrounds to try and snag a star prospect for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My son is 12 yo and is in the St Kilda NGA and they have effectively just become the body that develops the best talent from South Metro and Frankston leagues regardless of where the kid or their parents were born. In saying that when you sign up they ask you all those questions about where the kid or parents are born so they can identify those talented kids that actually qualify for NGA and I imagine they will get preferential development going forward.

I wouldn't say it's a big investment by the AFL club as we pay $500 (140 kids) for the privilege of a hoodie, shorts and a top, 13 training sessions provided by volunteer coaches, an exhibition game and a session of athletics testing.

Let’s hope Lombard slides, then we can get 2 lads in before Leo. If that is still an option for us.

My son is 12 yo and is in the St Kilda NGA and they have effectively just become the body that develops the best talent from South Metro and Frankston leagues regardless of where the kid or their parents were born. In saying that when you sign up they ask you all those questions about where the kid or parents are born so they can identify those talented kids that actually qualify for NGA and I imagine they will get preferential development going forward.

I wouldn't say it's a big investment by the AFL club as we pay $500 (140 kids) for the privilege of a hoodie, shorts and a top, 13 training sessions provided by volunteer coaches, an exhibition game and a session of athletics testing.
The VFL with its born to rule private school tie toffs really are a joke.
Fancy making NGA’s more powerful when they have Father Son as well and the NGA’s do so little.

The VFL with its born to rule private school tie toffs really are a joke.
Fancy making NGA’s more powerful when they have Father Son as well and the NGA’s do so little.
Can only hope that after 20-30 years we can have a few Father Son's ourselves to be on equal footing

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back