2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see a left peg in our side in 2025.

Half back or Wing until his body builds up for inside minutes.

Weller, Rioli, Uwland & Lindsay in 2026 :fire:

Oliver off half back has a laser of a left foot.

Would love to get Trainor if we ended up moving up in the draft if he is similar to Jordan Ridley as touted

Watching a replay of the Vic Metro v Vic Country and there are a lot of depth of good young talent and wouldn't mind being in a position to snag a decent player from this mix.

We are in an interesting position given our draft hand, having an academy player ranked right around our 2 1st Rd picks and possibly needing to use those picks to get some potential Dan Rioli trade done.

Couple of my personal thoughts:

- I would only be putting up one of those picks in a Rioli trade as that's market value. Obviously he's in contract so Richmond can ask for more but I'd be happy to walk away at that stage

- I'd be trying to get ahead of a Lombard pick by trying to get a top 3-5 pick. The only way to do so would be to trade a future 1st to go with the other top 10 pick if we do the Rioli trade (if we don't do a Rioli trade could probably just package up the 2 1st Rd picks)

- Alternatively if that isn't possible it would be good if we could trade up into the 2nd Rd as it looks there will still be quality players available this year in the top 20-35 players

- Trading a future 1st Rd pick is palatable if the academy rules stay the same as Zeke is likely a top 10 pick so wouldn't be using it anyway

Watching a replay of the Vic Metro v Vic Country and there are a lot of depth of good young talent and wouldn't mind being in a position to snag a decent player from this mix.

We are in an interesting position given our draft hand, having an academy player ranked right around our 2 1st Rd picks and possibly needing to use those picks to get some potential Dan Rioli trade done.

- I would only be putting up one of those picks in a Rioli trade as that's market value. Obviously he's in contract so Richmond can ask for more but I'd be happy to walk away at that stage

- I'd be trying to get ahead of a Lombard pick by trying to get a top 3-5 pick. The only way to do so would be to trade a future 1st to go with the other top 10 pick if we do the Rioli trade (if we don't do a Rioli trade could probably just package up the 2 1st Rd picks)

- Alternatively if that isn't possible it would be good if we could trade up into the 2nd Rd as it looks there will still be quality players available this year in the top 20-35 players

- Trading a future 1st Rd pick is palatable if the academy rules stay the same as Zeke is likely a top 10 pick so wouldn't be using it anyway
Like all the above.

Just hope we use all of our picks in the trade period.
Minus leaving a few crumbs for Lombard
And we are/ have been in stealth mode organising deals quietly.

Like all the above.

Just hope we use all of our picks in the trade period.
Minus leaving a few crumbs for Lombard
And we are/ have been in stealth mode organising deals quietly.
With this in mind, what do GCS posters see as a fair trade for Eagles 1R? On the ladder predictor I expect it to be pick 2 by the end of the season and (unfortunately) expect GCS to hold pick 9 and 10.

There was also some talk that both QLD clubs had interest in Liam Ryan and Alex Davies would be a player of interest to WCE. Any mail on either of these two and if so where would they fit into a trade?

With this in mind, what do GCS posters see as a fair trade for Eagles 1R? On the ladder predictor I expect it to be pick 2 by the end of the season and (unfortunately) expect GCS to hold pick 9 and 10.

There was also some talk that both QLD clubs had interest in Liam Ryan and Alex Davies would be a player of interest to WCE. Any mail on either of these two and if so where would they fit into a trade?
Most would be hoping Davies re-signs with the Suns and haven't heard of any interest in Liam Ryan from the Suns

I wouldn't trade Davies unless we get Smillie and I can't see that happening. Luke Trainor should fall to 5-7 hopefully so that's the range we need to land at, a Sam Collins apprentice

You would think the way st kilda have sooked about the northern academy, they will bid for Levi and Leo.

I don’t really like anyone in the top 3 worth the trade up. But if it’s getting swallowed by Lombard bid I guess we have to try and get before the bid.

Ideally I would like to get 2 players leftover at the pick 8&9 range we are at now.

I wouldn't trade Davies unless we get Smillie and I can't see that happening. Luke Trainor should fall to 5-7 hopefully so that's the range we need to land at, a Sam Collins apprentice
Davies is a long way back.
I’m not fussed if he leaves.
Still got to find mid minutes for Roger’s Lombard Humphrey Graham etc too

If we can actually get something back for once.
You take it

Theoretically if Ainsworth does take the massive offer from Essendon, we are looking at 2x1sts, 2xend-of-firsts (1 Band 2 compo), 2x2nds.

IMO I don’t really see anyone worth trading up into the top 3 for based on our needs, but we could easily pay for Rioli, trade a 1st into next year to get multiple from the academy group (without a doubt what we will do so may as well include it), manoeuvre for a pick in the early/mid teens for one of these developing talls/skilled flankers in that range and still have the points for Leo and promote Clohesy, with Rogers/Lombard filling Ainsworth’s role.

That’s what I would hope for, but so many ways we could go, and very hard to get it wrong (insert ‘but it’s the Suns/Cameron’ joke here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you want rioli? You've got Flanders and Powell playing those roles. Wouldn't you be better getting Bolton, whos a match winner and changes up your midfield and on ballers with 8 and 10, letting ainsworth go to essendon
Flanders is a mid, he was no good as a back flank. We don't have any run off the half back line, our ball movement is stagnant as all hell.

Why do you want rioli? You've got Flanders and Powell playing those roles. Wouldn't you be better getting Bolton, whos a match winner and changes up your midfield and on ballers with 8 and 10, letting ainsworth go to essendon
100% yes. But by sounds of it… it’s tigers or home to WA I believe? Plus boltons on 1mill a year.
We broke.

Flanders an infinitely better midfielder than half back, Powell is really good but can't be relying on just him, also could potentially move up to a wing. Sexton is limited, Uwland plays more lockdown than free wheeling half back.

Jeffrey is the probably the other one that could play off the backline in a similar position to Rioli.

Will be interesting how the end of the year rolls out. For me, we need a half back, a winger and a goal kicking small forward. Rioli fills one of those spots.

Flanders an infinitely better midfielder than half back, Powell is really good but can't be relying on just him, also could potentially move up to a wing. Sexton is limited, Uwland plays more lockdown than free wheeling half back.

Jeffrey is the probably the other one that could play off the backline in a similar position to Rioli.

Will be interesting how the end of the year rolls out. For me, we need a half back, a winger and a goal kicking small forward. Rioli fills one of those spots.
After seeing our backline and how it works, I think it is settling nicely. But one injury or suspension and it thins out quite a bit, so getting a HB is still a good idea.

But I feel a small forward should be our number one target. Looking at Suns goalkicking tally as a team compared to other clubs is bleak. It’s Ben King then daylight. No spread at all.

We desperately need a 25+ goal small to play with Rosas. With all our entries, we could be a real threat there if we had someone. Anyone.

So yeah, off-season will be interesting. More so if we can win some games to convince other players we are actually, really, definitely on the up. “Hey guys, come play for us!”

Fantastic result for the club. Essendon are a big Victorian club who are inside the top 8 and offered him more years + probably more money and he still turned them down. That's the Dimma magic for you.
For the money these guys are on it would have to be a very big offer. I mean you lose half of the extra amount right away to tax. Then you need to upend your life and friends etc. an extra $100k a year just isnt worth it. Its only length of contract that will do it via security. Ie 5-6 years v 3 years and an extra 200k a year.
Hopefully an announcement in lead up to qclash

Ben Keays is being held hostage and desperate to come home to QLD specifically GC after BrisC rudely delisted him.
He ought to be set free. It’s cruel.

For the money these guys are on it would have to be a very big offer. I mean you lose half of the extra amount right away to tax. Then you need to upend your life and friends etc. an extra $100k a year just isnt worth it. Its only length of contract that will do it via security. Ie 5-6 years v 3 years and an extra 200k a year.
Hopefully an announcement in lead up to qclash
No doubt it was a big decision for him. Be closer to his family would have been a drawing card, but why would you leave now? He seems to enjoy it there, so unless its huge money or you're unhappy, then might as well stay put after putting in the hard yards.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back