2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

SUNS CONFIDENT ON RIOLI DEAL

GOLD Coast is confident of landing Richmond's Daniel Rioli, hinting it is happy to pay a fair price for the running defender.

Rioli has two years left on his current contract but has requested a trade to the Suns, where he would reunite with former coach Damien Hardwick.

Speaking to AFL.com.au about the specifics of a possible trade, football boss Wayne Campbell said "we want him in the door".

"There's always a fair range in price," Campbell said.
"We'll deal with Richmond in good faith, and we hope to get the deal done.

"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain."

Gold Coast is currently armed with picks six, 13 (via the Western Bulldogs) and 20 in the first round.

The Suns have a few balls in the air, with Magpie John Noble also indicating he wants to get to Carrara to be closer to family, and the club needing to be mindful of retaining capital to acquire Academy graduate Leo Lombard. – Michael Whiting

VETERAN SUN SET TO GO ON

LEVI Casboult is keen to play on for a 16th season in 2025.

Gold Coast is understood to be in conversations with Casboult about another one-year deal, after considering Day but moving on from the inaugural Sun.
With Daniel Rioli and John Noble requesting moves to Gold Coast, the Suns are likely to wait until concluding its business in the trade period before finalising another contract for Casboult. – Josh Gabelich

Who gives a shit about "winning" trades when we can improve our list with players that aren't cast off's or 18yos for once. We either bring them in and improve or draft more kids and hope to improve in 3-4 years, pretty easy solution I'd think.
Exactly, when you start to worrying about "winning' trades is when you become Essendon.

Losing trades hasn't really got us too far either yet
We have brought in one genuine best 22 player in a trade in the clubs whole lifespan. We are going to bring in at least 2 this off-season with the door open if anyone else requests a trade. We arent going to get better next year drafting another kid, Rioli and Noble walk in to our best 22 in an area of severe need. Are we going to overpay? Yes. But this gives us our best opportunity to improve, I can't wait another few years for the next batch of kids to get there. I'm sick of waiting, we go through this cycle every few years of pinning all our hopes on draftees. We have good players from other clubs wanting to be here, you pull that trigger and you aim to improve. We need to improve.

Who gives a shit about "winning" trades when we can improve our list with players that aren't cast off's or 18yos for once. We either bring them in and improve or draft more kids and hope to improve in 3-4 years, pretty easy solution I'd think.
It’s not about winning trades..
If Dimma and Campbell could keep quiet we could of prob got Rioli with 13
Because they screaming it out loud now we’ll have to part with 6
Which we could of split for 2x teen picks or into next years draft for Uwland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have brought in one genuine best 22 player in a trade in the clubs whole lifespan. We are going to bring in at least 2 this off-season with the door open if anyone else requests a trade. We arent going to get better next year drafting another kid, Rioli and Noble walk in to our best 22 in an area of severe need. Are we going to overpay? Yes. But this gives us our best opportunity to improve, I can't wait another few years for the next batch of kids to get there. I'm sick of waiting, we go through this cycle every few years of pinning all our hopes on draftees. We have good players from other clubs wanting to be here, you pull that trigger and you aim to improve. We need to improve.
I get we need to improve, I do, but every top 7 draft pick will help us improve as well, Mac Andrew was a top 7 pick only 3 years ago, now look where he's at.

If i could pick McKercher or Rioli, in a heart beat i would go McKercher.. Back Flank, unaccountable footy, why are we paying through the nose for that? We have a limited amount of capital, and we spend it like daddy afl is gonna bail us out again

Fine, you're better at words than me

Agree. I think we should be the most silent club in the sport. The VFL media do us no favours and we are the GC.
Just do your business quietly.

I don’t want to part with Pick 6 for Rioli.

But if our trade period is…
Out: Pick 6
In: Rioli, Noble, Lombard

… Not terrible.

If it happens, Richmond will likely give something back for Pick 6. We can then use that something for Noble or Lombard points.

Then we see if we are linked to any other players as teams bow out of finals. You never know!

I base a trade period on the total ins and outs. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win.

Seems we want to be active this year, both in bringing players in and possibly cutting/moving players on.

But I think for us, winning next year is far more valuable than winning two years down the line. It’s 100% finals or bust next year, without doubt. That will be the internal and external narrative.

I don’t want to part with Pick 6 for Rioli.

But if our trade period is…
Out: Pick 6
In: Rioli, Noble, Lombard

… Not terrible.

If it happens, Richmond will likely give something back for Pick 6. We can then use that something for Noble or Lombard points.

Then we see if we are linked to any other players as teams bow out of finals. You never know!

I base a trade period on the total ins and outs. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win.

Seems we want to be active this year, both in bringing players in and possibly cutting/moving players on.

But I think for us, winning next year is far more valuable than winning two years down the line. It’s 100% finals or bust next year, without doubt. That will be the internal and external narrative.

I personally believe Richmond & Gold coast will be doing some smart trading before and during the draft
Gold coast have some really handy picks this year #6 , #13 , #20 , #26 , #34 , #46

#6 gets traded to richmond along with #20 (#20 would cover 50% Rioli salary for the remainder of his contract) with #57 going back to the suns/
#26 gets traded for Knobel leaving #13 , #34 , #46 , #57
#13 gets used in the draft then the remaining picks cover points for lombard

With Richmond holding what we expect to be #1 , #6 , #9 , #10 that leaves very little chance that Lombard gets bid on prior to #13 so thye outcome for GC could end up something like

Rioli with 50% salary paid for 3 years
Knobel , Travaglia , Lombard

There are enough Richmond people at the Suns to know each other well enough to arrange side deals if required to avoid a bid prior to #13

I personally believe Richmond & Gold coast will be doing some smart trading before and during the draft
Gold coast have some really handy picks this year #6 , #13 , #20 , #26 , #34 , #46

#6 gets traded to richmond along with #20 (#20 would cover 50% Rioli salary for the remainder of his contract) with #57 going back to the suns/
#26 gets traded for Knobel leaving #13 , #34 , #46 , #57
#13 gets used in the draft then the remaining picks cover points for lombard

With Richmond holding what we expect to be #1 , #6 , #9 , #10 that leaves very little chance that Lombard gets bid on prior to #13 so thye outcome for GC could end up something like

Rioli with 50% salary paid for 3 years
Knobel , Travaglia , Lombard

There are enough Richmond people at the Suns to know each other well enough to arrange side deals if required to avoid a bid prior to #13

I reckon the deal is already done. Will get done straight away.

I reckon the deal is already done. Will get done straight away.
What do you think it will be?

I still think if 6 is involved it either has to come with

1, Part of Riolis contract paid or
2, A decent pick coming back to us

If any of you have concerns about the club making a fool of itself at the trades table again this year by selling Luko, Mally for peanuts and backing the truck up for old man Rioli I encourage you to let the club know info@goldcoastfc.com.au

Everybody knows what picks we have available.
Everybody knows that the 2 players we are chasing are contracted.

Those two clubs, just like Freo all those years ago, are going to dig their heels in and ask for way overs. Because they can.

We can have a whinge about having to trade away too much draft pick equity, but there is a simple solution.

Win games, make finals, only have pick 13 to trade.
Guess what? In that case Rioli would go for pick 13 and maybe a bit extra becuase that is all we got. Cameron to Brisbane for pick 12 a case in point. They had nothing else to give.

The Tigers can ask for a top 10 pick but if we ain't got one they ain't getting one. They can try to hold Rioli to his contract but that is a two edged sword. A bit of pressure goes on them. Atm, they got no pressure b/c they see all the draft picks we got.

So, anyway. Boo Hoo. Woe is us. Another top 7 pick.
Strongly suggest that if we want to be trading from a better position we win more games. A lot more shite gets taken care of then.

Everybody knows what picks we have available.
Everybody knows that the 2 players we are chasing are contracted.

Those two clubs, just like Freo all those years ago, are going to dig their heels in and ask for way overs. Because they can.

We can have a whinge about having to trade away too much draft pick equity, but there is a simple solution.

Win games, make finals, only have pick 13 to trade.
Guess what? In that case Rioli would go for pick 13 and maybe a bit extra becuase that is all we got. Cameron to Brisbane for pick 12 a case in point. They had nothing else to give.

The Tigers can ask for a top 10 pick but if we ain't got one they ain't getting one. They can try to hold Rioli to his contract but that is a two edged sword. A bit of pressure goes on them. Atm, they got no pressure b/c they see all the draft picks we got.

So, anyway. Boo Hoo. Woe is us. Another top 7 pick.
Strongly suggest that if we want to be trading from a better position we win more games. A lot more shite gets taken care of then.
Isaac Cumming is uncontracted.. we could have chaised him instead. Him and Noble, fans would have rejoiced. We just do dumb thing after dumb thing in the offseason and wonder why we aren't developing in games. Success is 50 50 off field moves and on field moves and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Absolute joke of an organisation. I think Dimma would want to knock Campbells teeth out after what he said after the posturing and position Dimma put the club in, wayne has put us right behind the 8 ball. Luko is another salary dump - list management special. And Rioli is another Weller

Isaac Cumming is uncontracted.. we could have chaised him instead. Him and Noble, fans would have rejoiced. We just do dumb thing after dumb thing in the offseason and wonder why we aren't developing in games. Success is 50 50 off field moves and on field moves and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Absolute joke of an organisation. I think Dimma would want to knock Campbells teeth out after what he said after the posturing and position Dimma put the club in, wayne has put us right behind the 8 ball. Luko is another salary dump - list management special. And Rioli is another Weller
IMO, negotiations don't happen through media. What's said publicly has no bearing on the outcome.

Rioli would not request trade unless the deal is agreed in principle. A lot of behind scene negotiations, manager talking to both clubs making sure it can be done before going public, clubs talking to each other. Probably started when Dimma joined us a year ago.

Most people involved worked together at Richmond.

This is what Campbell said.

"There's always a fair range in price," Campbell said.
"We'll deal with Richmond in good faith, and we hope to get the deal done.
"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain."

You really believe that if Tigers did not see it they would be happy with let's say pick 13? What's actually wrong with statement? Nothing, IMO. Everybody knows we have to pay overs. He mentions range in price, dealing in good faith.

Teams have list management meetings regularly. You think Dimma was shocked by Wayne's interview, and it set us back? I am not believing it for a second.

I guess, it's Dimma right as a new coach and with his success, and ultimately his decision who he wants on the team. Agree or disagree with his players assessment.

For players under contract we have to pay overs. When getting rid of players we get unders. If you want to keep a player you get a good return (Rankine). Simple.

Picks are just hope for future. That's all what Tigers supporters can talk about now.

Do we have a shortage of talent? We got great 5 kids last year, Lombard coming in too. Next year Uwland plus possibly 2-3 more academy kids.

Bring in mature best 22 players every time for me at our current situation. We can't wait another 3-4 years.

We got huge overs for pick 4 last year. Now we will use it on players under contract and getting Lombard.

And if it does not work out and we don't play finals, we can savage Dimma. I am getting ready.

"In Dimma we trust" does not impress me. I am going to keep him honest. But I have to say delivering an old fashion kick in the butt to Luko and Rosas impressed me.

Last edited:
Dimma is the one driving the Rioli deal. You think he cares about what we pay for him? He has a pipeline of 18yos every year coming in from the Academy. He wants players who can make a difference now because that's who he is as a coach. He is here to make us win now, not slowly build a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back