Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

All im saying is that for so long I’ve attended preseason training and we have trained exactly like we’ve trained
  • shit
  • and like we didn’t care that we trained shit

I’d love to continue to believe that the coaches would rectify that. Apparently it hasn’t been rectified.

Calling out the standards are not good enough and then not fixing it.... Wtf do we even bother with coaches then?

I'm not close enough to AFL footy to know, but it seems like the players have too much power? How can the coaches just stand there and think "Well, that was a bit shit." Then not take control and get people working harder/better? This sh*t had been going on for far too long.

FMD if we ran hospitals this way, there'd be deaths everywhere. "oh geez, I miscalculated and he woke up mid op, LMac grin..."

"Never mind old chap, you're good at cutting, not so much counting...."

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would like the club to have a traditional smoking ceremony with the entire club present including the members. We need a cleanse. We might not be cursed but we sure as hell ain’t blessed. We need fresh air both players and supporters. We are all in this together. We should do this immediately before trade and draft period starts.

Three players have already initiated this at The Espy according to reports.

Announce new Captains: X and Sheeze VC

Trades: Powell, 2 (Adelaide>Rachellle, 4- unlikely)

Pick 40 (Sydney>Parker)

Future third (WC>J.Jones)

Go to draft with: 4, 22, 58, 64

Fitness, skills and strength focus for the off-season.

Hardeman, W.Dawson and Duursma emerge as genuine, 23 game a year options.

Ford develops as a winger over the off season rotating across HF with Duursma.

Hardeman is able to move McKercher up field.

Dawson, Corr and Logue develop as our defensive trio with Hardeman, Archer and McDonald to support.

Scott, McKercher, Ford, Tucker Rotate through wings, HF and guts.

Sheezel, LDU, Mckercher, Parker, Wardlaw make up the core of the mids with big X.

Curtis, Jones, Rachelle, Simpkin and Hansen jr now constitute a respectable mosquito fleet while supporting the mids.

Comben, Larkey, Teakle and Armstrong (pick 4) make up an emerging set of talls, supported by Zurhaar, Duursma and Ford.

There's a tipping point at AFL level where sides can only play/carry so many unskilled, uncomposed, low score involvement players before the cart tips over. Every side has some but when you have too many like us, the ball ends up being played 70% in your defensive half. Because they end up kicking long to contests when skilled players are far more enterprising.

McKercher and Duursma have the class to be high score involvement players. We need more with those Sheezel style attributes. Hopefully Barlow can polish some of the turds but not much will change until more skill is injected.

Then there's the strength and conditioning. Many players - mostly older - took half the year to become AFL-fit but the extent of the thrashings in the last two weeks didn't happen just through poor form. That's the sub-standard strength and conditioning of most of the list.

If we dont secure Mazda in the next few days, she needs to go and we need someone to secure that deal plus a sports sponsorship, even if its something comical like a “cellars” sponsorship for the shorts. If we lose Mazda, its game over

They are contracted for 2025. I understand the point and broadly agree in that if we cannot or do not re-sign it would present a real threat to the club.

In this order.

Bring in Parker, Wines and Macrea. Overpay/blank cheque i dgaf. Salary cap has to be spent so at least give it to blokes who have earnt the right for a blank cheque who can drive standards in game and on the track.

Simpkin/Mcdonald stripped of all leadership roles. Give them both the opportunity to focus on themselves rather than shuffling chairs on the titanic.

Delist anyone who Clarko thinks cant help this team win a flag. I'd rather take a chance on someone that MIGHT help us instead of someone i KNOW wont. As Kingy says "dont get beaten by what you know"

Strength and conditioning team bolstering. Why the hell do we always look like an u18 team? We bring in players from the VFL who look like park footballers. RHJ for example. Charlie Cameron is your inspiration. The guy trains hard and looks it. LMac who has been in the system 10 years is in the same shape as my mates who work in finance 50 hours a week. Its embarassing.

Leadership - Hand the captaincy to Parker/Wines with Sheez and/or X as VCs and give them a serious voice at Match committee. We need players with actual standards contributing to selection.

Gameplan - Time for the coaches to stamp some authority. Back to basics gameplan. Hawthorn the model here.

Coaching - If i hear Clarko talk about how good the oppo was in another presser again im going to snap. Every single week its the same thing. Please mate i know full well the Dogs are a great side, what i want to hear is that maybe we didnt get selection right and we'll be reviewing it next week. The players play like they know they'll get a game next week.

I dont need to win the flag in 25 but every single game needs to be played the same. 100% effort, solid gameplan and absolutely zero 60+ point losses.

They are contracted for 2025. I understand the point and broadly agree in that if we cannot or do not re-sign it would present a real threat to the club.

Does it run out Jan 1st? Or financial year? June 2025?

Does it run out Jan 1st? Or financial year? June 2025?
Article was written in August 22.

Says:

Next season will be the 25th year Mazda has been on board with the Kangaroos, and the three-year extension will take the partnership into its 27th year.

2023 - 25th
2024 - 26th
2025 - 27th

Read that as they are signed up for next year.

The sponsorship cannot be allowed to lapse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trades:

Out: CCJ
In: Pick 60 (Adelaide)

ROB a chance to retire and they will need coverage for other options. Get him home for one last crack

Out: Pick 64
In: Callan Ward

No brainer

Out: Pick 2
In: Pick 5, Pick 9 (Richmond)

Give Richmond pick 1 and 2, whilst we land a mid and Trainor.

Delistings and retirements: Greenwood, Shiels, Thomas, Sellers, Taylor, Nyoun, Lazzaro, Drury, Free

Keep from OOC players: Maley (1 Year), Harvey (1 Year), RHJ (1 Year), Phillips (1 Year)

Enter draft with 5, 9, 22, 40, 60

Full pre seasons out of Phillips, Goater, Logue, Bergman, Comben, Duursma, Hardeman, WDawson in particular.

Jy to transition back to the forward line, limit his midfield minutes.

Mckercher to train pre season on the wing.

Lock Comben in to a position and keep him there.

2025 draw;
Rd. 1 Richmond at Marvel
Rd. 2 Wet Toast at Optus
Rd. 3 St. Kilda ( reach around )
Rd. 4 Cold Toast Hobart
Rd. 5 Demons at MCG

There's a start. Might win 2, if not 3 if we are serious.

We need another 12 players, we also need serious drilling. No more dumpkicks.
For the amount of times it occurred, it must be instruction. Therefore, on the coaches. If the players have continued against instruction, they should be playing vfl and learning instruction. Again, on the coaches.

Power has to be with the coaches. Yes, players collectively should be expecting more from one another, but the easiest trigger to pull is the match-committee.

We have obviously not been running a meritocracy at North if so many terrible performances on-field and off have been constantly rewarded.

And if Corr, Zurhaar and McDonald are being played underdone for the first half of the season for the third straight season, I may just be done with this sham of a club and sport. F*cking hell…

Mazda has been a remarkable sponsor. All love to them. Hope they continue as we won't get a better one to replace them.
I would die if MG replaced them :madv1: :thumbsupv1:

1. Membership improvements
    Last on this list for a reason, because obviously on-field results matter above all else. But North members really are not getting value for money from our memberships. We pay some of the highest per-game prices out of any Melbourne-based clubs, and yet our membership packages and perks are by far the worst out of the bunch. I've seen first hand from mates what they get in their Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, and Melbourne Demons membership packs each year and we are miles and miles behind. It's not good enough
Yep, the membership offerings are quite poor. The Hawks get a scarf as an option with the number of years they've been a member. It might seem like a small thing but it shows the effort placed by their membership department. Their members, especially the long ones, would be proud to wear that.

I hit 30 years as a member during 2024 and the recognition around something like that is non-existent.

The only thing they are doing well in, for mine, is the Kids Clinic which is quite good.

There's so many things they could do, for instance they know which members have scanned in for a game, why not send an email to each member who attended a game and thank them for their attendance on the weekend. Costs nothing but a little bit of effort from their behalf.

I believe emma was involved with hockeyroos olympics
Dont know how but their basics and passing improved massively
They were unlucky to lose in the quarters vs china
A flukey goal to china and a goal review that blind freddie would have given in aussie favour and the play in the semi

In no particular order:
1. A kicking coach
2. The group to grow a spine and start being accountable for their own performances.
3. Small pressure fowards - No, not more flankers who don’t chase Brady you toss bag.
4. Some capable experience in midfield; Parker should be the prime target, overpay him if we have to.
5. Draft a tall for both ends, ONES WHO ARE ATHLETIC AND CAN GET OFF THE GROUND.
6. Rip up the plans for the forwards and start again, it ****ing stinks.
7. Luke McDonald to play 22-23 games in the VFL..

Not asking much.
Your 7 selections
Well 1 a kicking voach
Mark Williams exellent skills coach
2?
3?
4?
5?
6?
7 well tell you and others McDonald will be AFL captain of our club as players vote on it and he will be playing the whole season in the AFL unless his injured

1. Get the basics right. This is on the coaches. Our senior players are so immersed in mediocrity they wouldn't know how to fix standards.
    1. Train skills under pressure. It's no good going out and training without an opponent and then go out on match-day and shit yourself. That's how we look. We look surprised that someone is pressuring/tackling us.
    2. Learn how to think/react faster. We are as slow as treacle on a winters day. Why do some of our players look so shit? Not because they are not skilful but because they take so damn long to make a decision sometimes. Why do Sheezel, Fisher, McKercher look quick? Because they think fast or play on impulse.
    3. Lead. I went to two games this year and was shocked at how stagnant we are. Player gets the ball and there is literally no movement ahead of him. Opponents backs are fresh as a daisy because we have done SFA to make them work. Leading forces defenders into two minds. Leading challenges whatever structures they have in place. We don't have and power forwards so bombing long is hoping that Durs, Taylor, Curtis, Zurhaar or Ford will take mark of the year. Teakle is the only big forward who has provided a contest.
    4. Shepherd. It's pretty basic but it's something we are terrible at. There was a moment I think when Shaw took over where we started to shepherd again but it's faded back out of our game. How many times have I watched a North player handball and then let his direct opponent follow-up and lay the tackle?
    5. DON'T HAVE FAVOURITES. Play players on their merits. Drop them when they suck. Keeping them in for team balance or for reputation or for group cohesion or because you have created an imaginary ranking of players has done SFA. Set standards and drop them when those standards are not met.
  2. The list. The biggest problem here is there are too many players who are just serviceable.
    1. Have performed. These are the players I trust or who have shown they can do something special on a somewhat consistent basis: Sheezel, Corr, Wardlaw, Scott, LDU, McKercher, , Logue, Larkey, Powell, Curtis, Comben, Archer, Lazzaro (never had a bad game, runs all day, don't know why he gets dropped), Xerri, Ford, Zhurhaar, Tucker
    2. Show Potential. These are the players I need to see more of but what I have seen seems good: Duursma, Will Dawson, Maley
    3. Serviceable. These are the role players who could contribute if they are given a clear job with limited parameters. Brain farts, lack of effort, injury, slow thinking, lack of elite talent or a propensity for turnovers is killing their reputation. They could stay or go: Stephenson, Taylor, McDonald, Simpkin, Stephens, Bergman, Phillips, Goater, Pink, Drury, Kallan Dawson, Teakle, RHJ
    4. Unknowns: Goad, Payne, George
    5. At risk. From what we have seen or through lack of opportunities they are at risk, contracts not withstanding: CCJ, Nyuon, Sellers, Harvey, Free
    6. Gone: Greenwood, Shiels, Thomas
    7. Needs - Small fast-thinking forward. Half-back who can apply pressure and hit a target (Archer/Comben). Forward who can take a contested mark. Not convinced we need a has-been with a wonky body. If Simpkin and McDonald, who have the support of the majority can't set good enough standards for others to follow then what hope does someone new have?
  3. Gameplan and coaches. We have a relatively tight back six and at times in the year we have been able to dominate the centre. Our forwards are a mess and the connection between backs and forwards and mids and forwards is atrocious. We need more than "bomb it to our unable to take a contested grab or impact the contest forwards". Where's the 45? The run and gun? Forward line movement? Clarko, get your hands dirty and fix this mess. I don't care how many elite programs you have visited in the US and UK, none of that is having any impact here. Get your head out of the clouds and see what is going on on the track. I see line coaches having a chat while the players are running sloppy drills. Clarko needs to set standard with his line coaches and see wtf is going on. Let Viney take care of the outside noise.
  4. Attitude. Stop playing for frees, we won't get them. Forwards stop throwing your hands up in the air and throwing tantrums cause you didn't get hit up. It looks childish. We are so mentally fragile. We panic under pressure and only play for a quarter or two. Where is our resilience and leadership? Where is our persistence. We love Wardlaw because he NEVER GIVES UP. This is not a skill, this is an attitude. The most unskilful plodder can do this, but we don't. What does Shinboner mean?

Luke Parker.
Brayden George and Charlie Comben stay injury free.
Will Phillips stays virus free.
Finnbar, Goad, Teakle, Duursma, and W Dawson add some serious bulk to their frames.
We draft 2025's rising star winner.

This bloke gets employed as a consultant to the conditioning staff. Seriously though those who haven't seen it the documentary Icarus is brilliant, if not alarming!

1725971351128.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back