Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do make finals.. it would nice if your mob were contending for finals too! Absolutely amazing if the Big 4 made finals.

100% the crowds would be crazy. I get it atm blues fans are believing and so they should they look good. Bombers fans half believing (dave10) probably less ;) But I do think bombers fans are still a bit apprehensive to what their team can do but if you guys make finals which I believe you will, your fans can and should believe anything is possible.

A Carl V Pies, Ess v Carl or Pies V Ess final would make me attend as a full AFL member. Ahh no stress attending finals when your team isn't in it.

100% the crowds would be crazy. I get it atm blues fans are believing and so they should they look good. Bombers fans half believing (dave10) probably less ;) But I do think bombers fans are still a bit apprehensive to what their team can do but if you guys make finals which I believe you will, your fans can and should believe anything is possible.

A Carl V Pies, Ess v Carl or Pies V Ess final would make me attend as a full AFL member. Ahh no stress attending finals when your team isn't in it.
Yep, Bombers fans still apprehensive. They’re coming but it’s in al honesty 12 months away. They will be a pretty good side in 12-24 months. This year, just make finals or just miss out..

So what are we looking at 42/43K as seems bombers ceiling due to reserved seat holders not rolling up or can it crack 45K
Best guide is recent home game against the Roos, 43,136. First home game against Saints probably has highest member show rate (ANZAC Day aside), it drew 44,412. So 45,000 almost impossible you’d think.

It’s going to be a sunny day tomorrow, the family slot. I reckon if they didn’t issue the sold out communication the Club GA member rollup would be really big and they’d probably get blindsided by the walkup. But it won’t now. I’d say it’s going to pull 42-43k. Lots of EFC reserved seats will be vacant.

Being a glorious day, no winds, this is the sort of game that likely would’ve just about popped 50,000 at the MCG. It would’ve got a strong walkup with fans keen post bye etc.

There will be 1000s of empty GA seats again. Why doesn't Essendon sell more as reserved seats? Yes, it will mostly be member/medallion no-shows, but there's usually a couple of thousand empty GA seats.
They actually did for this game compared to the recent home games. They sold an extra 2 rows further back in level 3 for about 5/6ths of the entire level 3. That equates to selling around 900-1,000 more reserved seats, at the expense of the GA section for this match. Its about trying to find the optimal point of using all capacity without being embarrassed by locking out the clubs GA members who walkup on matchday.

Looking forward to a big turnout from the seagulls at the G tonight.

Praying we can get to 30,000 but realistically that’s not going to happen.

Looking forward to a big turnout from the seagulls at the G tonight.

Praying we can get to 30,000 but realistically that’s not going to happen.
Not looking great on TV so far with the bounce moments away. Hoping for 25,000 at least! It’s Norf’s only game at the MCG so hopefully that brings some of their fans through the gates.

Not looking great on TV so far with the bounce moments away. Hoping for 25,000 at least! It’s Norf’s only game at the MCG so hopefully that brings some of their fans through the gates.
It’s grim here too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne fan base finally had enough of the shit this club puts us through.

Haven’t seen the member reserved areas this empty since 2019.
MCC emptiest I’ve seen it since 2013.

Would be lucky if there’s 25k here

On what planet do you open the top deck of the Ponsford stand tonight?

Clubs have to get better at using the seating plan.

You can tell me having a few hundred up there because they “like the view better” outweighs the cost of opening an entire section of the stadium.

I’ve worked in the industry for many years, it’s literally $10s of thousands of dollars that are chucked away.

No i am not picking on Melbourne, same when Richmond play GWS in a month at the G and 30,000 turn up. Close the god dam top deck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You can tell me having a few hundred up there because they “like the view better” outweighs the cost of opening an entire section of the stadium.

I’ve worked in the industry for many years, it’s literally $10s of thousands of dollars that are chucked away.

No i am not picking on Melbourne, same when Richmond play GWS in a month at the G and 30,000 turn up. Close the god dam top deck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would keeping the top deck of the Ponsford open really cost that much?

They usually don’t have any of the food and drink amenities open and don’t have any one checking tickets because it is general admission.

They might have to pay for toilet cleaning if the contractor isn’t on a fixed price contract, but can’t think of much else it would cost them. Possibly if it is open they have to employ some staff up there for health and safety reasons.

Melbourne fan base finally had enough of the shit this club puts us through.

Haven’t seen the member reserved areas this empty since 2019.
MCC emptiest I’ve seen it since 2013.

Would be lucky if there’s 25k here
I really fear for our crowd numbers for the rest of the year. I'm usually one that will defend them and whatnot, but I won't be able to do it anymore. I genuinely think we're the most boring and unwatchable team in the league right now

Last edited:

Whenever I've seen the Ponsford stand closed the Southern Stand has been open. The entire 4th level of the Southern stand was closed off, which is rare.

Whenever I've seen the Ponsford stand closed the Southern Stand has been open. The entire 4th level of the Southern stand was closed off, which is rare.
When alot of the crowd is in the MCC I think it makes sense to funnel more people into the Ponsford as opposed to when Hawthorn or Richmond play and there's more in the GSS.

I really fear for our crowd numbers for the rest of the year. I'm usually one that will defend them and whatnot, but I won't be able to do it anymore. I genuinely think we're the most boring and unmatchable team in the league right now
Saturday night games at the G against GWS and Port have scary, sub 20k potential if our terrible form continues (it will).

It really didn't feel like 28k last night. Felt like kind of a last chance to prove we have something to give this season type game, a lot of the Dees fans that turned up won't be back next time. Credit to North for making some noise.

Friday night takes the Blues season average to 61,755 for home matches (#2 in the league, but likely #1 at the end of the round as Essendons average will drop a little after todays game to just over 60k), and 76,483 for its 4 MCG games.

88,362 v Pies (MCG)
83,881 v Tigs (MCG)
75,218 v Cats (MCG)
58,472 v Dees (MCG)
46,283 v Crows (Marvel)
40,474 v Giants (Marvel)
39,597 v Suns (Marvel)

Note also: Away games against the Bombers (88,362) and Cats (87,775), helps the blues to 817,241 for the season - temporarily at least giving them a narrow lead to #1 for home and away attendance for the season, but almost all Blues matches for the rest of the season are at Marvel, and none are exactly blockbuster material.

Blues have a better Marvel average than the Dons this season (42,218 to 41,610)

R19 - North
R20 - Port
R22 - Hawks (MCG)
R24 - Saints

I really fear for our crowd numbers for the rest of the year. I'm usually one that will defend them and whatnot, but I won't be able to do it anymore. I genuinely think we're the most boring and unwatchable team in the league right now
Agreed, I’ve got all my flights booked to Brisbane, Perth and Gold Coast but feels like I’m doing it out of duty and not because I enjoy watching them play.

The Saturday night game against GWS could be disaster crowd wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back