Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Cold wet weather in Melbourne and the crowds are straight down.

For all the out of touch media personalities spooking about Thursday nights (whateley and maclure) being removed, Imagine how bad a Thursday night game at the G/Marvel would have been attended this week.
Would be fine at indoors at Marvel. Saints crowds are low because hey are terrible to watch and playing badly.

Agree, school holiday scheduling for the Suns abd Giants home games against big Victorian clubs is planned and works well. Why wouldn’t an additional 3-4K Carlton families enjoy a long weekend in Sydney whilst taking in a footy extravaganza?! They’ve done this with Collingwood (Vs Suns) for many occasions, slotting in late June / early July to fill the stands with sun seeking Pies fans..

It’s good for the expansion teams to fill their pockets a bit and support a good promo for the game.

This game, I think we can hope 7-8k Carlton fans rocking up, then hope the weathers ok and that the Giants can see a blockbuster challenge and bring 6-7K of their own to make it about 14-16k as you accurately indicate… In other words, I agree!
14-16k would be a great figure but it would be surprising given our shite form even with the up and about travelling Carlton fans. Weather forecast not looking too flash. We do have a fairly young fanbase and hopefully the kids go free promo should be slightly helpful.

The AFL is run off the back of broadcast rights. The half a million people who watch on Thursday nights on TV are just as, if not more, important to the game as the couple of thousand who don’t attend because they don’t want to go to bed too late.

The AFL should always attempt to cater to fans, but some fans need to realise it’s not 1970 any more.
Are you saying the GF should be moved away from afternoons?

The AFL is run off the back of broadcast rights. The half a million people who watch on Thursday nights on TV are just as, if not more, important to the game as the couple of thousand who don’t attend because they don’t want to go to bed too late.

The AFL should always attempt to cater to fans, but some fans need to realise it’s not 1970 any more.

yes you are right

Prices of hotels are a joke and have been a joke for this weekend since the hotels could tell that it would be that weekend.

I stay at the Hilton when we go watch Melbourne there and its normally $220 a night. Its $750 a night for that weekend and all hotels are like that.
An absolute rort and with cost of living not going to settle, we are in a for a wild ride (within our wallets!) for Gather round!

An absolute rort and with cost of living not going to settle, we are in a for a wild ride (within our wallets!) for Gather round!
Yup, I booked 2 rooms for three nights at the Holiday Inn for $2300 and whilst better than the other hotels, its still insanely expensive.

This is how tickets sales are going for Freo vs Richmond at Perth Stadium for Saturday 6 July.

I’m not sure if the back rows on level 5 (in the pockets) are actually sold and were cheaper seats, or are seats used as part of a program, or just not released for sales. It’s just a bit odd there aren’t single seat tickets available in those areas like there are elsewhere on L1 and L3.

IMG_3623.png

Edit: I had to pain stackingly stitch 25 screenshots together to make that image. It would be nice if the ticketing websites allowed you to see all the seats in the stadium in one image.

Last edited:
Just need to keep you eye out over the next nine months. Last year hotel prices dropped post season.
I wanted a flexible rate where i only pay on 10 April and in heart of Adelaide, means I can cancel and find somewhere else but at least im going regardless.

This year we stayed an hour out of Adelaide and drove in every day but it was just a little too hard.

This is how tickets sales are going for Freo vs Richmond at Perth Stadium for Saturday 6 July.

I’m not sure if the back rows on level 5 (in the pockets) are actually sold and were cheaper seats, or are seats used as part of a program, or just not released for sales. It’s just a bit odd there aren’t single seat tickets available in those areas like there are elsewhere on L1 and L3.

View attachment 2037485

At most games the empty seats tend to be closer to the wings cos the seats are a lot more expensive. It's not unusual to see the top deck behind the goals packed out with lots of empty seats in the better viewing areas.

Bad weather forecast on Saturday though so that might impact the crowd, especially given its hardly a blockbuster game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2037485

Edit: I had to pain stackingly stitch 25 screenshots together to make that image. It would be nice if the ticketing websites allowed you to see all the seats in the stadium in one image.

Great work on the pic I hadn’t seen that before… until I read how you did it!

Yer those 4 pockets are saved for the 3 Game memberships as that is the option they give us each time we go to book a seat with our membership. They used to give us about 6 bays as a GA area in the right forward pocket top deck in other years but now you can book an actual seat. Which is better as sometimes we’ve gone to get something to eat at half time in the GA area and someone is sitting in our seat when we come back and then you get into argument with them…

Looking to see what the crowd figure would be for the two Marvel games this weekend with the "Kids go for Free" promotion in place

North v GC = 17-19,000
Saints v Sydney = 23-25,000

Looking to see what the crowd figure would be for the two Marvel games this weekend with the "Kids go for Free" promotion in place

North v GC = 17-19,000
Saints v Sydney = 23-25,000
Add the Melbourne v West Coast game as an intrigue as well which hopefully gets to 25K given its our last day game in Melbourne as well.

Saints and Swans should get above 25K if Sydney bring 10K of their own.

Add the Melbourne v West Coast game as an intrigue as well which hopefully gets to 25K given its our last day game in Melbourne as well.

Saints and Swans should get above 25K if Sydney bring 10K of their own.
Yes! I am intrigued by this one too actually.

Melbourne v West Coast at the 'G still has the memories of the Jakovich brothers for mine from back in the 90s, when Allen kissed Glen. Historically not a good crowd average for these two and I am sure that will not change on the weekend either.

Great pick up! Hoping to see a massive crowd tomorrow night. It could be our last one for the year! Especially if we lose and the trepidation all of us bomber fans have will come to the fore.
Trepidation of Bomber fans has come to the fore, after last weeks inept second half. The ladder position is distorted, as I’ve said all along they’re battling for finals at best. 2024 is discovery and establishing the strong foundation which they’ve done well so far. 2025> should deliver finals success.

I also indicated their crowds for second half of the year would fall on sentiment and they’d fall well short of their home and away aggregate. I was always pretty certain of that.

Trepidation of Bomber fans has come to the fore, after last weeks inept second half. The ladder position is distorted, as I’ve said all along they’re battling for finals at best. 2024 is discovery and establishing the strong foundation which they’ve done well so far. 2025> should deliver finals success.

I also indicated their crowds for second half of the year would fall on sentiment and they’d fall well short of their home and away aggregate. I was always pretty certain of that.
You are an astute judge sir..so I never doubted ya :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back