Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see everyone's top 20 here is mine.
1. Finn O'Sullivan
2. Josh Smillie
3. Jagga Smith
4. Levi Ashcroft
5. Luke Trainer
6. Sid Draper
7. Leonardo Lombard
8. Murphy Reid
9. Tobie Travaglia
10. Harvey Langford
11. Christian Moraes
12. Sam Lalor
13. Matt Whitlock
14. Bo Allen
15. Taj Hotton
16. Joe Berry
17. Harry O'Farrell
18. Tom Gross
19. Issac Kako
20.Jack Whitlock

Players pushing my top 20
Sam Marshall, Jobe Shanahan, Ben Camporeale,Harrison Oliver, Xavier Lindsey.
Good effort bulldogs201616, its always good to see other peoples views, there is no right or wrong here, its just a persons thought on where certain players will get picked.

Legend. Thank you
Just realised it was highlights sorry, go to the St Kilda draft board and on thread 21, scroll down to where you come to AFL on the red logo, click on that and if you scroll down to where it says replay on the right hand side your away!

It's looking like a very weak top end for a draft. No clear number 1 pick imo. Smillie has been very underwhelming in the champs up to this point. Haven't seen O'Sullivan. Jagga smith, Sid Draper, Levi Ashcroft look to be solid afl players, unsure if any have star potential? Trainor looks a decent intercepting defender, but how often are those types taken in the top 5 picks? Lombard looks top 3 on talent for me. Lalor disappointing on the weekend. Harvey Langford is really impressing me, and Murphy Reid has done his top 10 chances no harm, but none of these kids scream future stars to me at this stage. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

Just realised it was highlights sorry, go to the St Kilda draft board and on thread 21, scroll down to where you come to AFL on the red logo, click on that and if you scroll down to where it says replay on the right hand side your away!
Looks like today's game. I'm struggling to find the one yesterday. ☹️

It's looking like a very weak top end for a draft. No clear number 1 pick imo. Smillie has been very underwhelming in the champs up to this point. Haven't seen O'Sullivan. Jagga smith, Sid Draper, Levi Ashcroft look to be solid afl players, unsure if any have star potential? Trainor looks a decent intercepting defender, but how often are those types taken in the top 5 picks? Lombard looks top 3 on talent for me. Lalor disappointing on the weekend. Harvey Langford is really impressing me, and Murphy Reid has done his top 10 chances no harm, but none of these kids scream future stars to me at this stage. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.
You know I've heard that a few times lately I'm not to sure about that. Yes there are no generational players about, but there are a heap of very very good players in this draft. A lot of people have pretty much said the same thing regarding Josh, but his upside is right up there in the top 5 of this draft in my opinion. I 've read all the the negative things people point out about him but how about the good things he does, that seems to be a foreign thing with him, a word of caution with lots of supporters from different clubs, dismiss him at your own peril!

Levi, bloody good player and has the skills to match, the fact though he's going to Brisbane, so he's off the radar. Finn, even some people dismissing him as a top 3 pick, is even funnier, {The little shark} as my nickname for him, is a gun, like it or hate it, it doesn't matter he's going top 2 in this draft and when I say he's good, trust me he's good! I'm glad you mentioned Mr Lombard, a real exciting player who likes to take the game on and the thing with him is that when he's on, he keeps going to receive it again and again if possible, great work rate.

Jagga's a very good player, he reminds me a bit of Elijah Tsatas, but where Elijah has breakaway speed, Jagga, while he has good pace, he doesn't explode away but uses angles to an advantage to escape with the ball if that makes any sense. Sid, another very good midfielder who like just about everyone in this draft has been criticized for this or that, is a bit harsh in my opinion, all draftee's forever and ever over the years have things to work on, some more than others but recruiters look to see what they can become for their club in the future, not in the present or a couple of years. Sam Lalor, well now we're talking potential, what you may call disappointing was a solid hit out for him.

Have to remember at the start of preseason he hurt his hip and was in a lot of pain, then later had a foot injury followed by a few niggles I think with his calf or something else and that was only his 2nd game back, hence why he played the majority of the game on the forward line, recruiters know what he can do in the middle. I'm guessing he was probably about 70 to 75% fit, will get a lot better for the run and when his fitness gets back up to par. Like every year there are going to be a few sliders and a few surprise bolters, this is indeed a deep draft for talent and some clubs are going to walk away with some amazing bargains!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Very weak" is hyperbole.

"Very even" may be a better description.

I don't think you can say someone like Smillie has been very underwhelming. He's been fine.

And I'd hardly describe a midfielder that is 6"5, 93kg and moves like he does as lacking star potential.

FOS, Draper and Lalor all have star potential with their athletic profiles and game styles.

Harley Reid was pretty fortunate to win Vic Country's MVP last year, he averaged 20 disposals, 7 clearances a game and kicked 5 goals. For apparently the best prospect to grace the comp in decades.

Smillie is currently averaging 20 disposals a game, 5 clearances and has kicked 2.2 with a game to come. Yet one is underwhelming?

Remembering Sheezel had a quiet Champs in his top age year also, it's not the be all and end all.

I also think you need to take a look at some of the other top 10 players of the last 5-6 years to gain some perspective.

Last edited:
Updated top 50, with a few additional names added to my draft-able list.

Notable changes include:
  • Ashcroft pushes into the top 2.
  • Kako, Reid, Langford and Travaglia are pushing their names into top 10 calculations through consistency and body of work.
  • Allen and Dodson push into the top 20 for the same reasons as above.
  • Urquhart pushes into the top 30 for the first time this year
  • Some of the talls (Shanahan, J.Whitlock, O'Farrell) slip back due to others showing more at the championships
  • Tom Sims into the top 30.
  • Jack Ough, Harry Armstrong and Benny Barrett push into top 35-50 calculations on the back of championship form.

PickNameHeightPositionClubComments
1Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersCourageous midfielder who is strong over head, powerful runner who runs hard both ways.
2Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsAccumulating midfielder that powers from contest to contest. Balanced inside and outside game.
3Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesTall midfielder that finds possession at will and has a long penetrating kick.
4Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyCombative contested midfielder who has some real zip around the contest.
5Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideClassy midfielder that has some speed and evasiveness. Well balanced with excellent vision.
6Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsIntercepting general defender who can play on smalls and talls. Composed and balanced.
7Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersWell balanced accumulating midfielder who is at home on the inside and outside the contest.
8Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsPowerful midfielder, who is explosive and damaging. Can roll forward and have an impact.
9Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersOne on one defender who can also swing forward. Strong overhead but equally adept on the ground.
10Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsDynamic and exciting small who can kick goals from anywhere. Also pushes into the midfield.
11Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsSmart and classy midfielder who makes good decisions with ball in hand. One touch.
12Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysTall and versatile midfielder who is strong overhead and has a booming left foot kick.
13Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersIntercepting defender who can provide run and carry. Excellent defender with leadership potential.
14Christian Moraes183cmMidfielderEastern RangesAccumulating midfielder that can roll forward and impact the scoreboard. Strong overhead.
15Ben Camporeale186cmMidfielderGlenelgBalanced midfielder who works hard between the arcs. Can find the ball inside and outside the contest.
16Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsLockdown competitive defender that uses his reach and closing speed to advantage.
17Jack Whitlock200cmTall ForwardMurray BushrangersRangy key forward that marks at the highest point but can also find the ball at ground level.
18Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsClassy midfielder forward who has plenty of X-Factor. Unfortunately done his ACL.
19Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderPhysical left footer who leads from the front. Uses his speed and long kicking to launch offensive attacks.
20Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtAthletic ruckman who covers the ground well and can find the ball. Very balanced for a tall.
21Jonty Faull195cmTall ForwardGWV RebelsGoal kicking key forward who works hard to provide an option. Competitive in the air
22Tyler Welsh191cmKey ForwardWoodville WestUndersize key forward who is a strong lead/mark type. Neat set shot goal kicking.
23Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersLively small forward who can crumb but also present an option on the lead. Classy goal kicker.
24Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersContested marking key forward who times his leads and jumps at the ball to perfection.
25Lucas Camporeale185cmMidfielderGlenelgNatural wingman who keeps his width and can accumulate the ball on the outside.
26Luke Urquhart189cmMidfielderEast FremantleTall midfielder that can also play across half back. Uses his body well in contested situations.
27Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTough, contested midfielder that has a real competitive streak. Solid overhead.
28Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerLeft footed midfielder with a damaging kick. Has some speed to break the lines.
29Sam Marshall185cmMidfielderBrisbane AcademyElite runner who motors from contest to contest. Creates separation from the contest with his pace.
30Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsLead up key forward who has good workrate. Solid at ground level for a kid his size.
31Noah Mraz198cmKey DefenderDandenong StingraysIntercepting defender, who has excellent disposal and decision making. Good closing speed.
32Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysTall midfielder who is a goal kicking threat when playing forward of centre. Strong over the ball.
33Kayle Gerryn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthUnique athletic prospect that has a tonne of potential upside.
34Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoFlashy small forward who can kick goals from anywhere. Provides good defensive pressure.
35Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsHigh workrate key forward who is at home on the lead. Excellent set shot routine.
36Zak Johnson185cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsClassy midfielder, who moves well, accumulates the ball and makes good decisions.
37Pheonix Hargraves182cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideAccumulating midfielder who have high work rate. Can also impact the scoreboard
38Charlie Nicholls197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictStrong contested marking key forward who provides a leading option up the ground.
39Evan Bradley174cmSmall ForwardNorth AdelaideClassy small forward who is creative and damaging by foot. Natural goalkicking with plenty of X Factor
40Ben Barrett174cmSmall ForwardSouth AdelaideLightning quick small forward who has a bucket of tricks and high impact per possession.
41Archer Day-Wicks186cmGeneral ForwardBendigo PioneersX-Factor player who can mark, and be damaging at ground level. Creative and classy ball user.
42Luca Grego183cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderWestern JetsWorkman utility who can play a variety of roles across the ground. Reliable type.
43Josh Murphy190cmGeneral ForwardMurray BushrangersImpact player who has plenty of x-factor. Contested marking threat who is dangerous at ground level.
44Jesse Dattoli179cmMidfielder/Small ForwardNorthern KnightsHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Dangerous and smart around goals.
45Harrison Oliver181cmGeneral DefenderSandringham DragonsRebounding defender who uses his composure and good decision making to good effect.
46Jack Ough193cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsHard working and athletic half back/wing who can play a variety of roles across the ground.
47Cody Anderson181cmMidfielderEastern RangesRelentless midfielder that tackles hard. At home inside the contest, can also hit the scoreboard.
48Nathaniel Sulzberger184cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsStrong contested player who offers a point of difference with his power around the contest.
49Pat Retschko188cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersHard working midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Strong runner.
50Lachie Jacques184cmGeneral DefenderGeelong FalconsDefence first defender, who can intercept and provide drive off half back. Reliable ball user.
50+Oliver Depaoli-Kubank178cmMidfielder/Small ForwardTasmania DevilsConsistent type who can play a variety of roles. Reliable disposal and sound decision maker.
50+Jayden Nguyen177cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderCalder CannonsSmall defender who can push up the ground. Creative ball user who uses his speed to impact the game.
50+Zaydyn Lockwood198cmKey DefenderBendigo PioneersRaw and athletic key defender who has plenty of upside. Solid defensive craft and in the 1v1's.
50+Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerAthletic defender who can play on talls and smalls, excellent closing speed and leap. Sound decision making.
50+Oliver Warburton185cmMidfielderMurray BushrangersVersatile type who can play inside and outside the contest. Consistent with good defensive intensity.
50+Jasper Alger182cmSmall ForwardOakleigh ChargersClassy small forward who makes the most of his opportunities. Good defensive intensity.
50+Lucas McInerney180cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsRangy winger who keeps his width and can be damaging forward of centre. Good disposer.
50+Noah Howes196cmKey ForwardSouth AdelaideOverage key forward with strong workrate. Good ground level game and has natural forward craft
50+River Stevens176cmSmall ForwardGeelong FalconsClassy half forward that makes good decisions with the ball. Creative left footer.
50+Charlie West195cmKey ForwardWoodville WestStrong marking and physical key forward. Flies aggressively at the ball in contested situations.
50+Zac McInnes196cmKey ForwardGeelong FalconsMobile key forward with good forward craft. Uses workrate to present multiple times.
50+James Barrat193cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersLeading forward with good leap and excellent timing. Elite forward craft and workrate.
50+Louie Montgomery184cmGeneral DefenderNorth AdelaideComposed defender who uses the ball well. Solid 1v1 player who can also create off half back.
50+Bailey McKenzie191cmGeneral ForwardSandringham DragonsMercurial 3rd tall type that can impact the game at ground level or in the air. Classy in front of goal.
50+Gabriel Stumpf196cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsAthletic key forward who is at home leading at the ball carrier. Strong workrate.
50+Lucas Tovey198cmKey DefenderOakleigh ChargersIntercepting key defender, who uses his body really well in the contest. Reliable ball user.
50+Xavier Ivisic180cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsReliable inside midfielder who can also find the ball on the outside. Good vision in the contest.
50+Ben Hopkins190cmGeneral DefenderDandenong StingraysOverage accumulating defender who can also push up to a wing. Quick and hard running.
50+Kobe Ryan183cmMidfielderWest AdelaideMature age inside midfielder that wins contested possessions and has manic defensive effort.
50+Joe Pike203cmRuckGeelong FalconsOverage ruck man who competes at ground level. Solid tap work and follow up effort.
50+Oliver Dean201cmRuckTasmania DevilsNeat tap ruckman that can impact forward of centre.
50+Waylon Davey-Motlop171cmSmall ForwardNorthern TerritoryClassy small forward who has plenty of X-Factor and upside. Can kick goals from anywhere inside fwd 50.
50+Tallan Rozenweig197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictTall forward who uses his leap and long limbs to take the ball at the highest point. Neat kick.
50+Xavier Kardarchi186cmMidfielderWestern JetsAccumulating midfielder who is strong around the contest. Composed with a solid long kick.
50+Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsAgile midfielder who uses his side step to create space around the contest. Good defensive intent.
50+Damon Hollow180cmMidfielderCalder CannonsAccumulating wingman who can be damaging with his disposal. Long kicking a real feature.
50+Kade Herbert184cmMidfielder/General ForwardWoodville WestHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Sound decision maker.
50+Harry Charleson182cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsReliable defender who is composed and can provide some drive off half back.
50+Liam Kershaw194cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsOverage wingman who offers a point of difference with his height, marking ability and running capacity
50+Joel Cochrane195cmKey DefenderSydney AcademyIntercepting defender who can find the ball and provide rebound from the back half.
50+Loch McTaggert183cmGeneral DefenderPerthNeat defender who has good balance between his defensive application and rebound
50+Jaxon Artemis187cmWingSouth FremantleHard running outside type who can also create off half back, good decision making and skills
50+Max Rohr197cmKey ForwardClaremontOverage key forward who has natural forward craft. Dangerous in the air and neat with ball in hand.
50+Hugh Boxshall187cmMidfielderClaremontStrong running midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Good decision maker.

That's a great list mate.

As it's turned out there is depth this year.

In fact, I reckon it's more fun this year than in the previous seasons because picks 20-60+ are going to be speculative and some might say risky at times.

The chance for the recruiters to really find a diamond in the rough and claim genius status.

This reads like a nosy journalist’s wet dream wrapped up as an idea/solution desperately in need of a problem to solve.
Yeah screams of Twomey trying to ensure he has enough content to justify a full time gig

Can’t imagine a majority of fans giving two shits about something like this

To summarise for those who justifiably don't care:

What's the problem? The media uses hindsight to turn a narrative the way that suits their current position

What's Cal's proposed solution? Clubs and recruiters give the media valuable strategic recruitment data

TLDR; Media BS is unfair to recruiters, so recruiters should do more to prevent media BS.

To summarise for those who justifiably don't care:

What's the problem? The media uses hindsight to turn a narrative the way that suits their current position

What's Cal's proposed solution? Clubs and recruiters give the media valuable strategic recruitment data

TLDR; Media BS is unfair to recruiters, so recruiters should do more to prevent media BS.
And every draft nuffie’s response.

Plug it in to my veins.

That's a great list mate.

As it's turned out there is depth this year.

In fact, I reckon it's more fun this year than in the previous seasons because picks 20-60+ are going to be speculative and some might say risky at times.

The chance for the recruiters to really find a diamond in the rough and claim genius status.

Thanks mate. I'm sure there are a few I've missed, but I'll continue to add names in as they spark my interest.

I was only saying on the north board the other day, that this is a real interesting draft, there would be a huge amount of variation as to how recruiters have players placed on their draft boards. I can't remember a draft where the talent has been so even or spread out. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the best player from this draft ends up getting drafted between pick 10-30, like Nat Fyfe did many moons ago.

As you said there is going to be plenty of opportunities to pick up some real value at the later stages of this draft. Some examples of solid role players that will be available beyond pick 40 are guys like Lucca Greggo, Jesse Dattoli, Pat Retschko, then you have plenty of raw athletic types that have stacks of upside like Zaydyn Lockwood or Jaxson Artemis.

You know I've heard that a few times lately I'm not to sure about that. Yes there are no generational players about, but there are a heap of very very good players in this draft. A lot of people have pretty much said the same thing regarding Josh, but his upside is right up there in the top 5 of this draft in my opinion. I 've read all the the negative things people point out about him but how about the good things he does, that seems to be a foreign thing with him, a word of caution with lots of supporters from different clubs, dismiss him at your own peril!

Levi, bloody good player and has the skills to match, the fact though he's going to Brisbane, so he's off the radar. Finn, even some people dismissing him as a top 3 pick, is even funnier, {The little shark} as my nickname for him, is a gun, like it or hate it, it doesn't matter he's going top 2 in this draft and when I say he's good, trust me he's good! I'm glad you mentioned Mr Lombard, a real exciting player who likes to take the game on and the thing with him is that when he's on, he keeps going to receive it again and again if possible, great work rate.

Jagga's a very good player, he reminds me a bit of Elijah Tsatas, but where Elijah has breakaway speed, Jagga, while he has good pace, he doesn't explode away but uses angles to an advantage to escape with the ball if that makes any sense. Sid, another very good midfielder who like just about everyone in this draft has been criticized for this or that, is a bit harsh in my opinion, all draftee's forever and ever over the years have things to work on, some more than others but recruiters look to see what they can become for their club in the future, not in the present or a couple of years. Sam Lalor, well now we're talking potential, what you may call disappointing was a solid hit out for him.

Have to remember at the start of preseason he hurt his hip and was in a lot of pain, then later had a foot injury followed by a few niggles I think with his calf or something else and that was only his 2nd game back, hence why he played the majority of the game on the forward line, recruiters know what he can do in the middle. I'm guessing he was probably about 70 to 75% fit, will get a lot better for the run and when his fitness gets back up to par. Like every year there are going to be a few sliders and a few surprise bolters, this is indeed a deep draft for talent and some clubs are going to walk away with some amazing bargains!
Great summary as always Scout well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back