Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at Shanahan’s testing a nothing stands out to me as a red flag. Infact it’s all better than the average 18 year old KPP.

I look at his production and its top shelf.

He’s locked goal at Coates, champs and now sustained vfl production.

Armstrong is going off 1 dominant game where he kicked 5. And if you look at those 5 you could make the same argument. 1 came from a contested mark, 1 a soft free, and the other three he was alone inside 50 (or just outside).

Factoring everything to date, Shanahan would have to be comfortably ahead of Armstrong on production.
Yeah was unsure on testing numbers. I do like to see how they use it in a game however.

I do agree that Shanahan is higher on my rankings than Armstrong.

Why are you the way that you are? Just relax mate, we're all just enjoying some draft watching. There are no haters here, only lovers. If Cal has Langford at three, I'm sure there are good reasons for it. He might be wrong, but we won't know until things have played out and years have passed.
Couldn’t agree more. Dudoro where do u have Langford? And what’s your rationale for your ranking?

Couldn’t agree more. Dudoro where do u have Langford? And what’s your rationale for your ranking?
I have Langford in a pool of players who are in the 8-20 category. I will try and sort through this as I see testing.

I see his abilty to impact contests especially physically as a trait however feel this will be limited at next level. His is ability to cover a ground, ball use and hurt factor worry me. He reminds me of Will Brodie. Touted as a top 5 pick but slid after people realised he lacked leg speed and impacting the contest outside of stoppage.

I have Langford in a pool of players who are in the 8-20 category. I will try and sort through this as I see testing.

I see his abilty to impact contests especially physically as a trait however feel this will be limited at next level. His is ability to cover a ground, ball use and hurt factor worry me. He reminds me of Will Brodie. Touted as a top 5 pick but slid after people realised he lacked leg speed and impacting the contest outside of stoppage.

Langford looks a much better kick than Brodie.

I think we are all looking at Langford posing the same questions you have. Will he become an ineffective inside midfielder or will he be able to make an impact moving the ball forward. Based on his vfl debut highlights a lm starting to become a believer. His movement was better than l expected and some of his possessions really stood out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Since North Melbourne like Trainor but might have to reach for him at 2, I can see them splitting their pick for Richmond's 5 & 7 + something else when they trade Bolton & Rioli. Then the order might go something like this:

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Jagga (RICH)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. ? (ADEL)
5. Trainor (NM)
6 & 7. 2 of Lalor/Smillie/Langford/split?
8. Armstrong (NM)

This scenario makes sense to me, idk why either team wouldn't do it. Thoughts?

Since North Melbourne like Trainor but might have to reach for him at 2, I can see them splitting their pick for Richmond's 5 & 7 + something else when they trade Bolton & Rioli. Then the order might go something like this:

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Jagga (RICH)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. ? (ADEL)
5. Trainor (NM)
8. Armstrong (NM)

I'd rather keep 5 and 7 and get Lalor and Armstrong.

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Jagga (RICH)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. ? (ADEL)
5. Trainor (NM)
8. Armstrong (NM)

Can't see it. In some years, where the top-end talent is far above the 5-10 group, then that would work, but that's not this year. Pick 2 isn't worth 2 other top 10 picks, let alone "something else". If anything North would have to add a pick around 10-12.

Add to that the Tigers need to bring in as many early selections as they can get to hasten their rebuild, and I just can't see them going for this. But I'm not them. Was about to ask for a Tig to comment, but see we have one already. Agree with richo.

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Jagga (RICH)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. ? (ADEL)
5. Trainor (NM)
8. Armstrong (NM)

Richmond would say no before you finished your sentence. 3 top 7’s or 2 in an even draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a resource for detailed (read, useful) statistics of draft prospects? eg, contested/uncontested breakdown, both hard ball and loose ball gets, etc.

I'm guessing not really (even though the clubs surely have access to one).

One that may not be getting much traction but I know clubs are interested in is Connor Evans.
Kid is very dependable as a mid-sized defender. Very good interceptor for his height, usually piercing and accurate kick.
Just needs to get more of the pill averaging 13 disposals a game at Talent League. Also was injured going into the Champs so unable to have a run for Country despite being in the Squad. But the kid is class when he is involved.
Wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked up late (or as a rookie).
Connor Evans 1.jpg Connor Evans 2.jpg
Connor Evans 5.jpg Connor Evans 6.jpg
Connor Evans 3.jpg Connor Evans 4.jpg
Connor Evans 7.jpg Connor Evans 10.jpg
Connor Evans 8.jpg

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Jagga (RICH)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. ? (ADEL)
5. Trainor (NM)
8. Armstrong (NM)

The more likely club to trade up would be Adelaide to try and get Draper. Or maybe the Suns if they don't part with pick 6 for Rioli.

1 Richmond O'Sullivan
2 Brisbane Ashcroft
3 North Trainer
4 WCE Smith
5 Adelaide Draper
6 Richmond Smillie
7 St Kilda Langford
8 St Kilda Reid
9 Melbourne Armstrong
10 Essendon Lalor
11 Sun's Lombard
12 Richmond Travaglia
13 Richmond Hotton
14 Carlton Lindsey
15 WCE Allen

Did a quick mock draft on the ladder right now but added in a few possibilities like if St Kilda get a compo for Battle. If Richmonds trades go though with Sun's and Freo also West Coast with Barrass to Hawthorn.

1 Richmond O'Sullivan
2 Brisbane Ashcroft
3 North Trainer
4 WCE Smith
5 Adelaide Draper
6 Richmond Smillie
7 St Kilda Langford
8 St Kilda Reid
9 Melbourne Armstrong
10 Essendon Lalor
11 Sun's Lombard
12 Richmond Travaglia
13 Richmond Hotton
14 Carlton Lindsey
15 WCE Allen

Did a quick mock draft on the ladder right now but added in a few possibilities like if St Kilda get a compo for Battle. If Richmonds trades go though with Sun's and Freo also West Coast with Barrass to Hawthorn.
Not sure we pass on Lalor if he makes it to our pick, he has everything that our midfield lacks currently

Saints could well have pick 5 for a start. FOS, Draper, Lalor, Armstrong, Smillie could all conceivably go before Jagga.
It's diffently a possibility but I feel like Smith is gonna go earlier he is consistently good and is pretty much a sure bet.
How much of a certainty is the Saints receiving a band 1 compo pick for Battle?
I'm not 100 percent confident but from all reports he is gonna get paid enough to warrant one.

How much of a certainty is the Saints receiving a band 1 compo pick for Battle?
It's diffently a possibility but I feel like Smith is gonna go earlier he is consistently good and is pretty much a sure bet.

I'm not 100 percent confident but from all reports he is gonna get paid enough to warrant one.

I think under the new salary cap, you need to be paid million a year to get band 1.

I think he is band 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back