Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, I just don’t think it’s definitive that he is the number 1 prospect. It’s still an open field imo.

If I were to guess it would be Sid Draper closely followed by Josh Smillie and Harvey Langford. Draper’s class and breakaway speed would appeal while the other two offer a point of difference because of their height. Don’t think Smith is the one we take because he is a little too similar to what we already have and is a bit one dimensional compared to the other mids available at the top end of the pool.
If North had pick 1 who would you want?

If Tigers got pick 6 for Rioli from Gold Coast and a low teens pick from West Coast for Baker ... would ....

North trade pick 2 for those 2 picks?

Would Tigers want to trade for pick 2 and give up pick 6 and another first round pick?

If Tigers got pick 6 for Rioli from Gold Coast and a low teens pick from West Coast for Baker ... would ....

Would Tigers want to trade for pick 2 and give up pick 6 and another first round pick?
The exact reason North would look to do that is the exact reason no one will. Even draft through first 15 no elite standouts.

10 is nice....can you try a little harder.....a few more names at least. Not all Vics if you can manage to be so kind.
The fact is WA and SA talent is just getting more ordinary by the year. NSW and QLD producing far better prospects.
I wonder if this will have an affect on the successes of those 4 clubs. No Adelaide team has won a flag for 20 years, Freo never and WCE can barely win a game the last few years and for the foreseeable future.

The fact is WA and SA talent is just getting more ordinary by the year. NSW and QLD producing far better prospects.
I wonder if this will have an affect on the successes of those 4 clubs. No Adelaide team has won a flag for 20 years, Freo never and WCE can barely win a game the last few years and for the foreseeable future.
Well, that's a sad state of affairs for our game then. Cricket is has to be then.

Can you Vics start producing better players than Jake Fraser-McGurk? WA can't keep doing the cricket heavy lifting.

Think people are seeing my problem with Shanahan at that height and not great at ground level has limitations at next level.
Mentioned Shanahan has a bit of the Peter Wrights about him. Good lead, mark, kick for goal but not much else going. Sure, his 1 wood is very, very good but not many other strings to his bow.

Surprised Riak Andrew (brother of Mac) is not talked up more, good battle with Shanahan on the weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was taken with pick 4..............would not be in the top 10 if you could redraft

He was always going to be a slower burn. Wasn’t expected to come in and impact from the get-go. Doesn’t help that he is playing as a deep forward in one of the shittest and inexperienced sides in history. Showed a few glimpses of his talent with his marking and goal kicking this year. Not worried in the slightest.

I feel his season was underwhelming
Quite fascinating, I thought he went okay, actually in some games he showed why every club was eager to get him but knew he would go in the top 4 selections and tried to move up but failed, getting experience, learning the ropes against the bigger bodies, learning the intensity at AFL level and working on his game are the little things he is getting from playing at that level, 13 games at senior level in his first year tells me that we are very very happy with Zane's first year, this lad is going to be an absolute gun and not only has nothing changed but I think he might be 'special", he has the right tools and ability to do it when he becomes ready.

Draper is 100% in the top 10. Even top 5.
Should be in pick 1 discussion tbh. He has that burst speed from the middle along with ball winning skills, competes hard to win contested ball - traits that you can't teach. Like a Dangerfield, Merrett, Horne-Francis.

1- Finn Osullivan
2- Levi Ashcroft
3- Luke Trainor
4- Josh Smillie
5- Sid Draper
6- Harry Armstrong
7- Jagga Smith
8- Harvey Langford (fixed)
9- Leonardo Lombard
10- Sam Lalor
11- Murphy Reid
12- Toby Travaglia

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Well, that's a sad state of affairs for our game then. Cricket is has to be then.

Can you Vics start producing better players than Jake Fraser-McGurk? WA can't keep doing the cricket heavy lifting.
It’s a statement from a poster that has the potential to age like fine wine with a strong WA contingent next year. Based on zero facts except for the fact that this year is a weaker than normal WA pool.

1- Finn Osullivan
2- Levi Ashcroft
3- Luke Trainor
4- Josh Smillie
5- Sid Draper
6- Harry Armstrong
7- Jagga Smith
8- Harry Langford
9- Leonardo Lombard
10- Sam Lalor

Who do you want at Richmond and would you look to use picks to get up to 3/4/5?

Id consider pick 2 to GC for 6 and 13. Then Tiges can go after pick 2 with Rioli and whatever else.

Small request, if anyone is doing a top 10 and they are including Ashcroft and Lombard, can they go to 12? I am really interested to see who Freo may be giving up if they trade 9 and or 10 to Richmond for Bolton.
Edit: fwiw, GC would be mad to include 6 in any trade for Rioli, looks like it may scrap in before a bid for Lombard so the could end up with two top 10 picks and Rioli if they trade 13&20 instead.

1- Finn Osullivan
2- Levi Ashcroft
3- Luke Trainor
4- Josh Smillie
5- Sid Draper
6- Harry Armstrong
7- Jagga Smith
8- Harry Langford
9- Leonardo Lombard
10- Sam Lalor

Is Harry Langford Harvey Langford's twin brother? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back