Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dande beat Gippsland by 13pts

GWVR beat Geelong by 6pts
Nope

Rebels 14 11 95 dftd the Falcons 12.10 82, Rebels by 13 points

Stingrays 9.10 64 dftd the Power 7.16 58, Stingrays by 6 points.

Couple of names I was surprised with today,

Falcons (12.10.82) lost to Rebels (14.11.95)

Ollie Hannaford (Rebels), 180cm, small fwd
The lively small fwd finished with a game high 6 goals. Coming home like a bullet with 19 goals in his last 6 games. Can take a mark overhead and is sneakily good on the ground.

Joe Pike (Geelong Falcons), 199cm, ruck/fwd (overager)
Not sure what to make of him but looks so similar (stylistically) to Rowan Marshall. Can go forward and take a big mark, skills look good and crashes packs like he should at his size. Threatened to ear the game apart but just got no help as Rebels over ran his Falcons.

Stingrays (9.10.64) defeated Power (7.16.58)

Ben Hopkins (Stingrays), 190cm, med def/wing (overager)
The half back was instrumental in so much of what Dandenong does. Skills are good, nice ability overhead, would like him to take riskier kicks bu skills are neat. I can see him being a bargain in round 2 - round 3.

Harry Doughton (Rays), 185cm, utility
Impressed me in a way that everything he does, he does right and well. May not be as impactful as others but if you want a role player you can rely on know ing what you will get, this kid could be a bargain in the rookie draft. Very vanilla in a draft with lots of depth. Id be keen to see him get a go somewhere bu wouldn't surprise me if he goes to stay league and does well.

Jordan Doherty (Rays), 199cm, ruck (overager)
This big is a seriously good link up player. Tap work needs improving but he has had some big games this year upon looking back. Links up well, can take a mark and appears he has the ability to play forward. Another to keep an eye out as a bargain later in the drafts.

Tom Matthew (Power), 170cm, small fwd
The kid is small bu he has a leap many would want. Can take a mark, pressures well and knows how to kick a goal. 2.3 on the day but could easily have had 4.1

Think his height works against him. He’s only 193. If he was 200 like his brother he would get talked about more

He is not a key forward/ruckman he is playing as a key defender. His leap, reach and athletic ability allow him to play much taller than his actual height. That on top of his competitive and aggressive nature will allow him to become a very good player. Melbourne will take him as an NGA and he will excel as a key defender IMO.

Couple of names I was surprised with today,

Falcons (12.10.82) lost to Rebels (14.11.95)

Ollie Hannaford (Rebels), 180cm, small fwd
The lively small fwd finished with a game high 6 goals. Coming home like a bullet with 19 goals in his last 6 games. Can take a mark overhead and is sneakily good on the ground.

Joe Pike (Geelong Falcons), 199cm, ruck/fwd (overager)
Not sure what to make of him but looks so similar (stylistically) to Rowan Marshall. Can go forward and take a big mark, skills look good and crashes packs like he should at his size. Threatened to ear the game apart but just got no help as Rebels over ran his Falcons.

Stingrays (9.10.64) defeated Power (7.16.58)

Ben Hopkins (Stingrays), 190cm, med def/wing (overager)
The half back was instrumental in so much of what Dandenong does. Skills are good, nice ability overhead, would like him to take riskier kicks bu skills are neat. I can see him being a bargain in round 2 - round 3.

Harry Doughton (Rays), 185cm, utility
Impressed me in a way that everything he does, he does right and well. May not be as impactful as others but if you want a role player you can rely on know ing what you will get, this kid could be a bargain in the rookie draft. Very vanilla in a draft with lots of depth. Id be keen to see him get a go somewhere bu wouldn't surprise me if he goes to stay league and does well.

Jordan Doherty (Rays), 199cm, ruck (overager)
This big is a seriously good link up player. Tap work needs improving but he has had some big games this year upon looking back. Links up well, can take a mark and appears he has the ability to play forward. Another to keep an eye out as a bargain later in the drafts.

Tom Matthew (Power), 170cm, small fwd
The kid is small bu he has a leap many would want. Can take a mark, pressures well and knows how to kick a goal. 2.3 on the day but could easily have had 4.1
You do realise Ollie Hannaford has played the bulk of his footy for the Rebels and Vic Country as a tough small running defender? It's basically only since the Nationals he's switched forward and set the CTL on fire.

Ollie's rarely been out of the Rebels best players when playing in defence either, also pretty handy when he's had a run on ball...he's a genuine utility but it's probably his late season heroics up forward that gets him drafted.

I actually thought Rebels top aged ruck Flynn Penry had the better of Falcons overaged ruck Joe Pike in the ruck contests.

You do realise Ollie Hannaford has played the bulk of his footy for the Rebels and Vic Country as a tough small running defender? It's basically only since the Nationals he's switched forward and set the CTL on fire.

Ollie's rarely been out of the Rebels best players when playing in defence either, also pretty handy when he's had a run on ball...he's a genuine utility but it's probably his late season heroics up forward that gets him drafted.

I actually thought Rebels top aged ruck Flynn Penry had the better of Falcons overaged ruck Joe Pike in the ruck contests.
nope, didn't know that at all. huge added string to his bow if he can do that. Agree (re rucks), Pike looks good as a potential fwd target as well.

Is anyone willing to give a quick indication of how Jagga and FOS have played? Haven’t been able to watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am genuinely curious for the draft. FOS who I loved as a Jnr. Has spent the entire season either with niggling injury or averaging what would be an around a goal a game and 13 disposals. Somehow still strange to think Langford, Smith, Reid, Ashcroft, Draper and Smilie may be better placed for the draft. Unless you have multiple pick in the top 5 or so taking that high up has inherent high risk with what could be high reward.

I am genuinely curious for the draft. FOS who I loved as a Jnr. Has spent the entire season either with niggling injury or averaging what would be an around a goal a game and 13 disposals. Somehow still strange to think Langford, Smith, Reid, Ashcroft, Draper and Smilie may be better placed for the draft. Unless you have multiple pick in the top 5 or so taking that high up has inherent high risk with what could be high reward.
After today's game I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at St Kilda with pick 7 or 8. Be interesting to see who bites the bullet

Small forward Oliver Hannaford kicked 6 goals, 15 disposals.
Jonty Faull kicked 4.2 goals, 16 disposals, 4 marks
Harvey Langford with 27 disposals (17 kicks) , 5 inside 50's
Harry Armstrong, 4 goals, 13 disposals, 5 marks
Levi Ashcroft - 40 disposals, 2 goals, 8 marks, 4 inside 50's
Murphy Reid - 25 disposals, 3 goals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50's
Sam Marshall - 26 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 5 inside 50's, 1 goal
Jayden Nguyen - 28 disposals, 3 marks
Jesse Dattoli - 21 disposals, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50's
Tom Gross - 21 disposals, 2.3 goal, 5 marks, 5 inside 50's
Jagga Smith - 31 disposals, 1 goal, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50's
FOS - 16 disposals, 4 inside 50's

Remove this Banner Ad