Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Richmond needed to shed a pick in this draft, and move it into 2025, why would they not have done that in the trade period? I mean the late picks we have may be moved on, for Futures and for later picks, maybe

But not 10 and 11.

They have heaps of chances to do it infact we traded F3 to get 24 from Gold coast over the line, so that logic does not work.

Richmond do not need to shed anything in this draft, the funniest story is the one that says that they cannot afford to draft 8 players in this draft because they will all come out of contract together.

Um it is not actually how things work.

Pick 1-20 have three year contracts
Pick 21+ have two year contracts

Any player can be offered a longer contract at any time

If lalor kills it in his first year, even if he doesn't, but he looks good, Richmond would just offer him another contract for another 2/3/4 years,

All these players killing it, and coming out of contract is a good thing, not a bad thing.

This is all written in the context that RM believe this years draft is much better than next years
It depends what is available at Pick 8 in the draft .... they didn't have to do it during the trade period because they can pick swap in draft night.

Come draft night .... if a player they desperately want is available at Pick 8 and Saints & Melbourne are a chance to select that player then maybe Tigers pull the trigger on that deal ... you obviously covet pick 10 & 11 over pick 8 and a F1 ... fair enough .... you also covet having 8 picks in the Top 24 of this year's draft rather than having 7 picks and an extra First rounder in next year's ... fair enough

Impossible they offer their F1 for pick 22( which 18 will be) by itself.

Going Cal's Sep form guide, he has the below players from 15 till 23
Hotton, Trainor, Berry, Lindsay, Shanahan, J.Whitlock, Hynes, Faull, Dattoli, M.Whitlock, Dodson

If one of these players are available at Tigers pick 18( which ill be 21/22), do you expect Bombers to trade F1 to get them?

Bombers F1 would likely be a Top 8 pick, I can't see this happening.

So I hope Tigers are ready to use all their picks.
If any of Hotton, Trainor, Shanahan, Berry and Lindsay are available at pick 18 we wouldn’t be trading it.

Impossible they offer their F1 for pick 22( which 18 will be) by itself.

Going Cal's Sep form guide, he has the below players from 15 till 23
Hotton, Trainor, Berry, Lindsay, Shanahan, J.Whitlock, Hynes, Faull, Dattoli, M.Whitlock, Dodson

If one of these players are available at Tigers pick 18( which ill be 21/22), do you expect Bombers to trade F1 to get them?

Bombers F1 would likely be a Top 8 pick, I can't see this happening.

So I hope Tigers are ready to use all their picks.
No reason why we wouldn't be
Dusty , Bolton,Baker , Grimes,Naismith,Graham,Rioli,Pickett all gone (8 spots)

We could easily delist another 5 if we had to use all 8 picks Cumberland , Dow , Mcintosh , Colina , Coulthard all still remain without a contract offer.

But 1st Pick on the 2nd day has always had overs offered for them and in this draft both pick #23 and #24 will have clubs chasing them and it wont be for F2's
Gold Coast , Essendon , Geelong , North , West Coast have all made noice they want back into this draft
Pick #23 this year will be rated much higher than in 2025 so thats a F1

If you think that 18+ 23 in this draft will be required to get an f1 in 2025 you are in for a big surprise on draft night .

18 will get f1 with Bells on, and even then unless it’s nth I doubt Richmond bothers
I agree. Clubs will have guys in their top 8 or so getting out to 20 just because everyone will see it differently.

He attended an elite private school while based on the Gold Coast too. It's not like you plucked him out of a government school.
I don’t think there would of been much difference in his football wether he stayed up there or down here

Post Ashcroft or without him?
Could easily see Tauru slide in front of him and I think some might prefer enough others to him to see him slide as late as 10 or 11. Unlikely but it wouldn’t shock me. He had a fairly underwhelming champs compared to the rest of the perceived top 10 in this draft and had no real excuse comparative to say O’Sullivan for doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back