List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We will get what we get, but an F1 is useless to keep.

But no more trading away picks for ordinary footballers.
Im with you, I think cuts need to be made but these new kids need to be given small opportunities also.

Ken is way to conservative unless your a first round pick

Its time for a deep cull.

We ain't winning the flag in 2025 with or without Ken, and probably not in 2026.

Go to the draft and get some bloody good kids, and stop trading away picks and our future for good ordinary footballers or players worse than that.

I'd cut / trade

3 Burton
4 Marshall
5 Houston, don't want to really get rid of him, but we get two decent 2024 1st round picks either direct or get a F1 and then retrade that for a 2024 first rounder, so be it.
10 Boak
12 Mckenzie
13 Soldo if he doesn't want to stay and play 2nd fiddle to Sweet
17 Clurey
22 Dixon
23 Williams
37 McCallum
41 McEntee
42 Narkle

That is 12 off the list. I'm not here to appease people 36 hours after another failure, but that's about as deep as you can cut in a single year.

Next year Scully, Lord and Georgiades are the 3 key forwards and they play every game they are fit to play, unless they have shocking and hopeless form for 4 or 5 games in a row.

Esava becomes a utility type player, back, forward and ruck when we need some size, but no guarantees he gets a senior game.

Club doesn't want to rebuild, well its time for a serious renovation and extension.
I would be cutting 10, keep Williams and McCallum from the list you have produced.

Hopefully a rocket to Williams gets him ‘fit’ again and the little leg speed he found in 2023 returns. McCallum played one quarter against North that looked ‘capable’ he isn’t the Third tall defender we thought when drafted, but maybe looks to be a Wingman/Bug Bodied mid?

Against losing Burton, Houston, Clurey, McKenzie, Williams and McCallum in one heap, that’s a lot of ‘new’ pieces to plug into a back six in one off season.

However, we all know the delisting will be K.Marshall, Scully, Charleson and Jackson, because Reasons

Follow up to my post #469 and the Oct 2024 cull/trade of 12 players. In October 2025 I would cull / delist the following players if they don't have a big 2025

11 Finlayson
16 Wines
27 Ratugollea
31 F Evans
33 DBJ
39 Jackson
40 K Marshall
44 Mead

That is 20 on a list of 43 cut within 14 months from now.

Follow up to my post #469 and the Oct 2024 cull/trade of 12 players. In October 2025 I would cull / delist the following players if they don't have a big 2025

11 Finlayson
16 Wines
27 Ratugollea
31 F Evans
33 DBJ
39 Jackson
40 K Marshall
44 Mead

Bit harsh on dbj considering he actually did his role to perfection

11 Finlayson
16 Wines
27 Ratugollea
31 F Evans
33 DBJ
39 Jackson
40 K Marshall
44 Mead

Culling half your list in such a short space of time is a sure fire way to see us plummet down the ladder and likely not have acceptable replacements to ensure a successful rebuild.

Culling half your list in such a short space of time is a sure fire way to see us plummet down the ladder and likely not have acceptable replacements to ensure a successful rebuild.
I know. But they have had their chances.

If you want to meander along keep things the same.

Viva stability.

Bit harsh on dbj considering he actually did his role to perfection
End of 2025 he will be 30.

He has had enough chances to deliver on the big stage and has done bugger all on them.

Sure a minor round champion, but lets find some finals champions.

End of 2025 he will be 30.

He has had enough chances to deliver on the big stage and has done bugger all on them.

Sure a minor round champion, but lets find some finals champions.

Can't judge him on a hinkley ball forward line , dbj up forward keep, down back delist

11 Finlayson
16 Wines
27 Ratugollea
31 F Evans
33 DBJ
39 Jackson
40 K Marshall
44 Mead

I would go 10 and 10 with Williams and McCallum sliding to the following year.

But yes, this ‘list’ should be turned over, a lot of deadwood.

Can't judge him on a hinkley ball forward line , dbj up forward keep, down back delist
Hinkley ball should be brilliant for our small forwards. Charlie, Ekava, Marshall aint going to mark it too often, just make a contest Georgi will have a crack at taking mark of the year, so there are plenty of spillages, crumbs and groundballs for smart small forwards to capitalise on. DBJ aint one of those.

I know. But they have had their chances.

If you want to meander along keep things the same.

Viva stability.

Its not about stability or meandering along, its about knowing that filling your list with a dozen picks in the 70s and 80s isn't going to give us the neccessary talent or depth to compete.

Its not about stability or meandering along, its about knowing that filling your list with a dozen picks in the 70s and 80s isn't going to give us the neccessary talent or depth to compete.
Its not about filling the list with picks in the 70s.

There is free agency and new trade pick rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get some higher end picks through trading then we need to prioritise attacking players who can put it through the sticks.

The Lions have probably had the best forward line in the comp for the last 4-5 years, but they still took Kai Lohmann with pick 20 in 2021 and Logan Morris with pick 31 in 2023. Both came in this year and had 32 and 22 goal seasons straight off the bat.

Sure some of that is system-based, but personnel wise we've treated the forward line with contempt. DFAs in Evans and Narkle, midseason draftee McEntee and backline transplant DBJ. Plus two hail mary late picks last year in Anastasopoulos and Charleson who have shown nothing as yet.

Going back further, Williams, Houston and Farrell were all drafted as forwards but have been converted to back flankers. Butters and Rozee spent time forward early but were always earmarked as mids. SPP is the last time we spent an early draft pick on an attacking forward.

I agree with REH on this years list changes. The lack of depth in our list cost us this year and couldn’t have been any more noticeable in the Geelong game. There’s no reason not to churn that bottom part of the list.

We can’t replace them all with teenagers though.

I’d be scouring the state leagues. Ryan/Cootee/Dudley all look at least as capable as guys who played finals for us this year. I’m sure there are others. Even someone like Harry Boyd is going to offer more as a 3rd ruck and scratching post for Sweet and Vis at training than some string bean.

Joe Richards is a great target as someone physically ready to go who won’t cost much. Need to get creative and find the next Trent McKenzie DFA as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back