No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of curiosity, for the folks who think they were just bad jokes and the punishment doesn't fit the crime... do you want to end the violence against women crisis in our country or not?

Kinda getting the vibe that people are more interested in protecting the right to shit comedy than the lives and safety of women.

What happened on that Wednesday is completely irrelevant to solving a very difficult epidemic of violence.

Just out of curiosity, for the folks who think they were just bad jokes and the punishment doesn't fit the crime... do you want to end the violence against women crisis in our country or not?
It's a serious issue that absolutely needs to be addressed, but I wouldn't send the task force to a footy club's wacky Wednesday party as the first step to resolving the issue.

Plus, many of Diddy's accusations are centered around violence, intimidation and sexual assault of men. So I think you're missing a broader problem.

What happened on that Wednesday is completely irrelevant to solving a very difficult epidemic of violence.
With all due respect, have you done any research on the subject of domestic violence/violence against women? Because if you have, surely one of the most basic concepts you would've learned is that actions like that seen on Wednesday is very prototypical of precursors to actual violence occurring. In many cases it starts as a casual, comedic attitude towards violence and women, and when enabled, becomes something worse.

That is why there has to be punishment here. These young men need to be disciplined and educated now, while it can still make a difference. Kill it at the first chance.

Surely understanding and supporting this is more important than a bunch of AFL players getting to play a few games next year?

Yeah. Enacting viloent rapes by prominent AFL players is completely irrelevant to the problems in society.
When you have had someone in your family that has been r*ped I reckon your opinion would change.

F**king keyboard warrior you are.

It's a serious issue that absolutely needs to be addressed, but I wouldn't send the task force to a footy club's wacky Wednesday party as the first step to resolving the issue.

Plus, many of Diddy's accusations are centered around violence, intimidation and sexual assault of men. So I think you're missing a broader problem.
The first step to resolving the issue is every person calling incidents like this out and holding the men responsible for them accountable.

How else is anything ever going to change if we refuse to ever take the issue seriously?

Is anyone claiming it's the first step?

Dehumanising attitudes towards women and other groups is what has allowed people to tolerate or do worse throughout history.

No-one is saying this is as bad as actually raping someone or owning slaves, but why does it have to be tolerated to protect the brand of footy players, that are not a protected species just because they are famous and entertain people.

Kinda getting the vibe that people are more interested in protecting the right to shit comedy than the lives and safety of women.
Very long bow to draw here..

I don’t condone what the GWS boys have done, clearly it was all done in bad taste.. but to connect it directly to violence against women is a bit ridiculous..

That problem is a different beast unfortunately

I don’t condone what the GWS boys have done, clearly it was all done in bad taste.. but to connect it directly to violence against women is a bit ridiculous..

Are you telling this same story the the GWS womens team? I bet not.

I don't reckon you would have the guts to do it.

How do you think that different beast is born?

Does a man wake up one day in his late 20s or 30s and decide "I'm going to commit violence against a woman today"?

How do you think that different beast is born?

Does a man wake up one day in his late 20s or 30s and decide "I'm going to commit violence against a woman today"?
No, unfortunately it’s a systemic issue, which can be instilled from a young age which leads to an ongoing vicious cycle.

I see where you’re coming from, and toxic masculinity behaviours, especially in football clubs need to be addressed.

And like I said, I don’t agree with what they’ve done, but I don’t think they need to be dragged across the coals as if they condone family violence.

They did some stupid shit, and hopefully they learn from it.

With all due respect, have you done any research on the subject of domestic violence/violence against women? Because if you have, surely one of the most basic concepts you would've learned is that actions like that seen on Wednesday is very prototypical of precursors to actual violence occurring. In many cases it starts as a casual, comedic attitude towards violence and women, and when enabled, becomes something worse.

That is why there has to be punishment here. These young men need to be disciplined and educated now, while it can still make a difference. Kill it at the first chance.

Surely understanding and supporting this is more important than a bunch of AFL players getting to play a few games next year?

Idun got a suspension for dressing as Django.. i just cant support this stance mate its madness.

No, unfortunately it’s a systemic issue, which can be instilled from a young age which leads to an ongoing vicious cycle.

I see where you’re coming from, and toxic masculinity behaviours, especially in football clubs need to be addressed.

And like I said, I don’t agree with what they’ve done, but I don’t think they need to be dragged across the coals as if they condone family violence.

They did some stupid shit, and hopefully they learn from it.
What does it say for girls wanting to play AFLW if role models are doing this. There is a safety issue.

You say "They don't need to be dragged across the coals". Why not just let it happen. Why not at your local footy club. What problems could possibly arise in future? None according to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's add some important context here. Judging by the details we have, it appears as though the theme of the day was to dress up in an inappropriate manner. I assume the skits were part of a competition in who would win, likely with prizes involved.

So the day's activities involved the players trying to 1-up eachother on who could have the best (in this case worst) outfit and skit.

It's as if they took a leaf out of Geelongs book, and tried to take it to the n'th degree.

I could imagine a young group of guys thinking up the theme and laughing at how crazy the day would be and then thinking up how they could come up with something so bad that they'd beat everyone else.

To me, it was just an ill-advised concept, without any malicious intent. But by virtue of the theme itself, was always going to lead to a grotesque outcome.

With that said, by nature of the concept itself, players donning those costumes weren't condoning those behaviours, it was actually a moral statement that they found those acts deplorable that they chose them in the first place.

The end result was terrible, but surely someone's intent needs to come into consideration. And I don't think the players had any ill intent, it was just an ill-advised theme that they hadn't fully thought through and was one where all the ugly pieces came together at the one moment (with players not knowing what others would be wearing), and the events would have unfolded during the event once a fair amount of alcohol had been consumed and judgement is impaired.

I just think the context is critical here. The AFL could still have used this opportunity to educate the players. I just think the punishments (match sanctions) were heavy-handed and a knee-jerk reaction by the AFL.

Rusty i recommend you dont watch any movies/comedy/tv shows if thats how offended you get.
Have you ever had anyone close to you that has been r(ped. I bet not.
Life long trauma.
You want to justify r*pe immitation as if it is funny and acceptable then go ahead.
I don't need to watch movies or TV. I have lived it.

Your words are just ignorance wrapped up in bullshit. You just don't understand.

Jesus holy christ go ask those they are mocking the perpetuator Hayne/Diddy or whoever else for those disgusting and vile attacks NOT making light of the victims.

Thats the whole point of the outfit.
Not making light of the victim? So why bring a sex doll and re-enact it? Surely you'd just turn up as Hayne in handcuffs or in a box behind bars.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back