No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing our Melbourne based supporters to Giants Canberra based supporters is ****ed

I didn't compare them.

But they are all people, not sure what the issue is. I simply said who gives a **** where GWS get their fans from, good luck to them.
We have some great Vic fans now for sure, but the idea that we always had this massive loyal fan base is clearly bullshit, otherwise we would not be in Sydney. I know we have dedicated old bloods fans, but how many members did South have in the 70s? a few thousand, It was a small club.

Point being You dont get extra bonus points based on where you were born and how long you follow a team, and our story shows that.

the transport was fine just found it slightly tedious to go out to the olympic park area, not much there at the time in about 2015
Homebush is a black hole. Membership dropped when they forced us there.

There is this thing called the latte line that cuts Sydney in half and most of us aren’t prepared to cross it lol.

JHWF - Inner city elitist and coffee hipster.

Don't talk s**t about the northern beaches, oh wait your completely right. 25 minute drive to the SCG out of peak hour but on gameday its more like 75 minutes. And thats coming from the lower section. But hey we are too fancy to get any form of train or metro up to us.

Best way to go is probably find a way to get to Chatswood then take the metro into central and a light rail into Moore Park. Or have i stuffed something up with that path
Lol! The B1 isn't bad... pick that up to Wynyard (at a major stop with free parking) and then swop to the light rail...

Homebush is a black hole. Membership dropped when they forced us there.

There is this thing called the latte line that cuts Sydney in half and most of us aren’t prepared to cross it lol.

JHWF - Inner city elitist and coffee hipster.

Although I always found it funny/ironic that it was quicker for me to get the ANZ from my leafy North Shore surrounds than the SCG.

Issue with the northern beaches is the public transport is rubbish!
I guess that depends on where you are, and where you are going... but I think the B1 linking to the light rail is pretty good. Both run very regularly, and the B1 has free parking in certain places.

I guess that depends on where you are, and where you are going... but I think the B1 linking to the light rail is pretty good. Both run very regularly, and the B1 has free parking in certain places.

I hate buses to be fair lol, hate getting stuck in traffic and not knowing exactly when the bus will turn up. If I'm going to the beaches we just end up driving.

I hate buses to be fair lol, hate getting stuck in traffic and not knowing exactly when the bus will turn up. If I'm going to the beaches we just end up driving.
Lol! I now live in the country and would give my eye teeth to live in Sydney again... I never run a car when living in Sydney, I use Uber and public transport... much, much, much cheaper!

Lol! I now live in the country and would give my eye teeth to live in Sydney again... I never run a car when living in Sydney, I use Uber and public transport... much, much, much cheaper!

Uber?! Not these days! Cost me $30 the other night to travel about 10 minutes to my football match when I didn't have the car available.

Reliability and speed make the car far more worth it than relying on busses which regularly just drive past because they're full, or run 10-15 mins late.

I think your view is distorted and biased. I've heard & read a stack of comments saying they jumped off board when South moved to Sydney.

No fan base is 'better' than another. Different? Yes. But we all have our foibles.
True to an extent , they were hard times that yourself and others on here will never understand and please that's not a sledge or criticism and of course im biased. I know a lot that did and trust me i was close at stages , it was the realisation of Richard Colless and the Willesee's of this world that recognised the heritage .
My bias is against a pop up club and Colless still thinks like i do

Lol! The B1 isn't bad... pick that up to Wynyard (at a major stop with free parking) and then swop to the light rail...
B1 for those deep on the Northern Beaches is also a great shout but for those before the Beacon Hill McDonald's (weird landmark ngl) getting to Chatswood and then using the Metro is probably the best way into the city.

I didn't compare them.

But they are all people, not sure what the issue is. I simply said who gives a **** where GWS get their fans from, good luck to them.
We have some great Vic fans now for sure, but the idea that we always had this massive loyal fan base is clearly bullshit, otherwise we would not be in Sydney. I know we have dedicated old bloods fans, but how many members did South have in the 70s? a few thousand, It was a small club.

Point being You dont get extra bonus points based on where you were born and how long you follow a team, and our story shows that.
WE had about 3and a half thousand , but most clubs didn't have many like they do know , a club membership now is special and wasn't thought like that back then.
I would like robbieandos take on this , but please don't compare us to greater waste of space !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only been to Sydney a little so maybe a dumb question.

Would the Giants be better off in some ways playing at the SCG.

Felt like a pain in the arse to get out there (went to a random game after city to surf) Comapred to the SCG, as a visitor to the city.

Perhaps the fan base is all out there?
When the Giants first started, they thought they’d be packing out Homebush by now.

Ambitions have been lowered somewhat.

But in fairness, Homebush is the worst place to watch footy. Shocking, soulless stadium when it’s not full.

Yeah or closer to the city at least , didn't think about the contracts sorry.

As a visitor to town it felt like more a trek. But I am not used to more than 10 minutes to get places
The public transport is pretty good if it's easy to get to Central or Lidcombe stations. Not much worse than the SCG. If it isn't easy it can be a pain. Parking isn't great.

WE had about 3and a half thousand , but most clubs didn't have many like they do know , a club membership now is special and wasn't thought like that back then.
I would like robbieandos take on this , but please don't compare us to greater waste of space !

Take on what? Even in the 80s and 90s this club had **** all members, like I said we have grown members everywhere , just not sure why we care where GWS get their members .

True to an extent , they were hard times that yourself and others on here will never understand and please that's not a sledge or criticism and of course im biased. I know a lot that did and trust me i was close at stages , it was the realisation of Richard Colless and the Willesee's of this world that recognised the heritage .
My bias is against a pop up club and Colless still thinks like i do

It's more that they are in now, so them growing is good imo, we don't need them falling away and collapsing, not good for anyone.

Anyway heck em

When the Giants first started, they thought they’d be packing out Homebush by now.

Ambitions have been lowered somewhat.

But in fairness, Homebush is the worst place to watch footy. Shocking, soulless stadium when it’s not full.
For me its easier to get to Homebush but yeah when the crowd is only 15-20k at Accor you really do notice it.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back