No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil Davis on SEN said today that the giants performance on the weekend was the best they've played since opening round in his opinion. Hard to oppose with that they were brutal.

B1 for those deep on the Northern Beaches is also a great shout but for those before the Beacon Hill McDonald's (weird landmark ngl) getting to Chatswood and then using the Metro is probably the best way into the city.
When I lived in Beacon Hill, the Beacon Hill McDonalds was a shopping centre...

Warringah Rd side: Haberdashery, Chemist, Newsagent, Butcher, Green Grocer, Cake Shop
Cornish Av side: Delicatessen, Jewels, Hardware, Hairdresser

Tucked around on quarry side (now an oval) was Mr Symes, the Dentist!

I went to Beacon Hill High School... many, many years ago... so many that the high school no longer exists!

I don’t think it would be all that bad of a decision for the Giants to take one game to the SCG against a big side like Collingwood, particularly at the beginning of the season when they have that big gap away from Sydney during the Easter show period. The other option I was thinking would be to have a Double Header at the Olympic Stadium when the Easter Show is on with Giants v a Big Melbourne Team and us v a lower draw card team. Or even just have the Sydney Derby (Giants home game) at the Olympic Stadium during the Easter show which could pull 60-70k if marketed well.

I also think the Giants need to do more to engage with the large migrant communities in Western Sydney, a lot of which don't like any sport at all.

Overall I think GWS getting stronger is only good for football in NSW.

Phil Davis on SEN said today that the giants performance on the weekend was the best they've played since opening round in his opinion. Hard to oppose with that they were brutal.
I wonder if they played their GF last weekend and will come in flat against the Lions who cruised to victory against a pretty lacklustre opposition.

Are you surprised? im not they tanked that game against the Dogs as they fancied their chances against us.

Are you surprised? im not they tanked that game against the Dogs as they fancied their chances against us.
No not surprised. I'm sure the mantra for all teams playing us is that the best way to beat us is with pressure. Even lowly ranked sides like GC, WCE, Richmond (successfully) and Norf came at us hard from the opening bounce. The difference (so far) in 2024 is that we have been able to win matches by destroying our opposition with a short burst.

No not surprised. I'm sure the mantra for all teams playing us is that the best way to beat us is with pressure. Even lowly ranked sides like GC, WCE, Richmond (successfully) and Norf came at us hard from the opening bounce. The difference (so far) in 2024 is that we have been able to win matches by destroying our opposition with a short burst.
Does anyone have the quarter by quarter Pressure Ratings for us and GWS ? Can’t seem to find them.

I didn't compare them.

But they are all people, not sure what the issue is. I simply said who gives a **** where GWS get their fans from, good luck to them.
We have some great Vic fans now for sure, but the idea that we always had this massive loyal fan base is clearly bullshit, otherwise we would not be in Sydney. I know we have dedicated old bloods fans, but how many members did South have in the 70s? a few thousand, It was a small club.

Point being You dont get extra bonus points based on where you were born and how long you follow a team, and our story shows that.
You quoted the post that did I think but WHOGAF

I had no idea of the size of Cotton On
Discusses the rules around third-party payments to players.

The Cotton On Group (COG) is a retail company founded in Geelong, which has more than 1,500 stores across 22 different countries.... other brands in their stable as well, including but not limited to the youth threads shop Factorie, the Rubi shoe line, and women's fashion label Supré... is worth an estimated $814 million... Nigel Austin the majority owner estimated net worth is close $2 billion

Bailey Smith, Cotton On, and the Geelong Foootball Club — how a trade request from a star AFL player is raising eyebrows off the field

Thanks for another great article Sean Lawson and Cody Atkinson
The double chance isn't just for show either. Five premiers have made their way to the grand final the hard way since 2000.
However, the most common fate for the first week's losers is to win once more before succumbing in a preliminary final.

The numbers behind AFL finals losses for Port Adelaide and GWS

Teams that have won a premiership since the last time Bombers won a final:

Collingwood x2
Geelong x4
Melbourne
Richmond x3
West Coast x2
Western bulldogs
Hawthorn x4
Sydney x2
Port Adelaide

Teams that have made a grand final since Bombers have won a final.

Brisbane
GWS
Adelaide
St Kilda
Fremantle

14 of the 18 teams have made a grand final since the last time Bombers have won a final. That's extraordinary mediocrity.

Carlton. North & GC the other mediocre teams who haven't managed to go beyond a prelim. Essendon well and truly take the W here.
At least they win trade period every year.

Bailey Smith, Cotton On, and the Geelong Foootball Club — how a trade request from a star AFL player is raising eyebrows off the field
If Smith lands at Geelong it will be an interesting test for the salary cap / third party payment rules.

The aim of these is to prevent companies closely associated with a club making additional payments to a player-outside the cap - that are connected to, and dependent on, that player playing at said club. In Smith's case, he's had an arrangement with Cotton On while playing with the Bulldogs, so it's harder to draw a connection between his arrangement and the club he plays for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Smith lands at Geelong it will be an interesting test for the salary cap / third party payment rules.

The aim of these is to prevent companies closely associated with a club making additional payments to a player-outside the cap - that are connected to, and dependent on, that player playing at said club. In Smith's case, he's had an arrangement with Cotton On while playing with the Bulldogs, so it's harder to draw a connection between his arrangement and the club he plays for.
I am hearing you but I doubt he would be even be looking at Geelong if it wasn't for the pre-existing deal.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the trade to Geelong was part of the initial discussions for the deal

What a crock

Screenshot_20240913_090021_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am hearing you but I doubt he would be even be looking at Geelong if it wasn't for the pre-existing deal.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the trade to Geelong was part of the initial discussions for the deal
It’s possible, but harder to prove.

The money is almost certainly less, but what would happen if Colgate became a sponsor of the Demons or Swans? Would the money Petracca or Heeney earn from their Colgate ad campaign be deemed to now fall in the ASA (as I’m sure the money earned by Heeney and others from the CarSales ads does). Or would it just be money they earn due to their profile as great footballers (who smile a lot)?

It’s possible, but harder to prove.

The money is almost certainly less, but what would happen if Colgate became a sponsor of the Demons or Swans? Would the money Petracca or Heeney earn from their Colgate ad campaign be deemed to now fall in the ASA (as I’m sure the money earned by Heeney and others from the CarSales ads does). Or would it just be money they earn due to their profile as great footballers (who smile a lot)?
It would be very similar. I guess when did Cotton On start sponsoring Geelong and when was the Smith deal made?

It would be very similar. I guess when did Cotton On start sponsoring Geelong and when was the Smith deal made?

The Smith deal was years ago, there's really no relation between the two other than from conspiracy theorists. It would only matter if Smith re-negotiated his deal with Cotton On, which is what the AFL is keeping an eye on.

The Smith deal was years ago, there's really no relation between the two other than from conspiracy theorists. It would only matter if Smith re-negotiated his deal with Cotton On, which is what the AFL is keeping an eye on.
I think it's more than just conspiracy theory. A company founded in Geelong, with ties to the club, who offer AFL players sponsorship deals and employs geelong-listed player's wives as "models". All very very suss.

Add to that the property investment shenanigans.

It's an obvious rort.

There is just no way for the AFL to enforce what a retail company can choose to pay the player wife/partner.

Geelong is a anomaly they will always have these intrinsic advantages over other teams.

There is just no way for the AFL to enforce what a retail company can choose to pay the player wife/partner.

Geelong is a anomaly they will always have these intrinsic advantages over other teams.

They can absolutely enforce any re-negotiated contract Cotton On has with Bailey Smith to be considered within the cap.

I will die on the hill that GWS were put in the wrong location. Should have been Central Coast or Newcastle.
Nope , still firmly Swans in those areas as evidenced by the numbers coming down by train for every Swans home game.

GWS should be full time Canberra based , where there is already a strong AFL culture and a faithful following of fans to games at Manuka.

Nope , still firmly Swans in those areas as evidenced by the numbers coming down by train for every Swans home game.

GWS should be full time Canberra based , where there is already a strong AFL culture and a faithful following of fans to games at Manuka.
Yes, that too would have been far more logical than western Sydney.
My son in law is a born and bred Canberra boy and his family (Dishlickers fans) say the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back