No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing the GWS discussion here.

There are some odd takes IMO.

This isn't a short term plan. This is a long game.
The whole demographic makeup of western Sydney is incredibly complex and evolving. It's ripe for expansion.

This is related to TV rights. Basically the biggest market in Australia.

The Racism that has been displayed at times by people on different threads is just weird.

As for success. I remember going to the SCG with free tickets in 91-93 . It was as empty AF. It was a real tough time. No one at that time could foresee the success the side would have.
I agree that the Sydney market is definitely big enough for GWS to thrive alongside the Swans.

I started following the swans during the 2005 season after mates who were swans fans introduced me to the sport and taught me the rules as we watched the games each week.

I'd grown up watching and playing basketball during my childhood (Jordan bulls era). I'd started watching NRL a couple of years prior after never having been interested in the sport. Watched a bit of soccer and a couple of seasons of cricket.

But the more I watched AFL and understood the sport, the more I came to appreciate it and now it's by far my favourite sport, with basketball a distant second.

I personally think Aussie Rules is the greatest sport in the world (or could be if the AFL got its act together and improved the rules, but thats an argument for another day).

I say all that to say, there are a lot of people in Sydney who don't watch AFL because they've never been exposed to it. Aussie Rules is an amazing sport / product, so part of the answer is simply showcasing it to as many people as possible and letting the product do the work. And that will happen in time.

My situation was unique in that I had a couple of friends who liked AFL where probably 95% would choose the NRL. They converted me, and I in turn take friends who have never seen an AFL game. Over time, that will naturally bring new fans to the sport, and at a certain point it will hit critical mass for GWS as it has for the Swans.

In my opinion, the biggest challenge facing GWS is trying to have those new fans choose GWS over the swans. And given those damn swans are in the middle of a sustained period of success, some of those new fans will choose the swans over GWS purely because a certain proportion of people will choose the more successful club.

What GWS would want (and I dare say the AFL) is for the Giants to win a flag and for the swans to have a period where they're anchored to the bottom of the ladder so that fans coming into the sport choose to align themselves with the Giants. I think that's the point where the Giants will see a substantial uplift in supporters. Until then, I think they'll still see incremental growth over time.

Last edited:
Should fine Ginnivan also for inciting all of this. Once again the troll / bully gets away with shit
To be fair Ginnivan is a child. Which is why the Federal government is looking to introduce social media reform to restrict children from social media access for this very reason.

Bruest has been chaired to his 300th via the sub rule. It’s a pretend 300th at best.
So Parker shouldn't count his games as sub , it's part of the game . So Ted Hopkins coming off the bench for Carlton and winning the game for them shouldn't be counted as a game !

So Parker shouldn't count his games as sub , it's part of the game . So Ted Hopkins coming off the bench for Carlton and winning the game for them shouldn't be counted as a game !
Breust has been starting sub 11 out of 19 games this year…. No I don’t think it counts when it’s gets to that level of games in a season. Parker has been twice.

As for Ted Hopkins, that was 50+ years ago under a different set of rules. Not sure the relevance.

Breust has been starting sub 11 out of 19 games this year…. No I don’t think it counts when it’s gets to that level of games in a season. Parker has been twice.

As for Ted Hopkins, that was 50+ years ago under a different set of rules. Not sure the relevance.
It is because there were 2 on the bench and no interchange , so you could come on with 2 mins to play and it was still counted as a game .

To be fair Ginnivan is a child. Which is why the Federal government is looking to introduce social media reform to restrict children from social media access for this very reason.
I read the first sentence and was about to go on with a great spiel about all the reasons against that.....

Then I read the rest of the post 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It counts or it doesn't count, otherwise where do you draw the line for levels. 3 subs is ok in a year but 11 is not?

He played 300 games , the rules say a sub game counts , why try to take away from it? It's like people saying Sydney cheated with COLA, no it was within the rules.

I guess Parker isn't a premiership player as he just subbed on.

It counts or it doesn't count, otherwise where do you draw the line for levels. 3 subs is ok in a year but 11 is not?

He played 300 games , the rules say a sub game counts , why try to take away from it? It's like people saying Sydney cheated with COLA, no it was within the rules.

I think the point is more that he was carried to 300 with the high proportion of sub appearances. It'd be like if we'd kept Buddy on our list and played him as sub to get him to 400 games. Wouldn't really feel proper.

Really that’s weird

Probably the wrong thread if you want to dig in why talking about 'a lot of them' living in Western Sydney is weird. There's an SRP board somewhere for that.

Well said

It’s no different when someone debuts but as the sub. Yes it counts as a game. But is it really a game if you come on like Caidan Cleary for 10 minutes. It is what it is but seems a strange result.

No idea what the COLA reference means to number of games.

They set the standard with Clarkson and the Saints players, then McCartney and Papley. If it's over the top it was for all of them (clearly a matter of opinion), but having set the standard they couldn't go lower. Hinkley knew it was coming.
Oh that's right. I do remember Hinkley bursting through the crowd of players and making direct contact with Ginnivan.

21 years old is an adult.

But lolz @ the second point of your post. Touche my friend touche

Whoops. Hold the presses everyone. Subs don't count! GWS wins on countback for Braeden Campbell's goal. Swans out of finals!

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back