No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of curiosity, for the folks who think they were just bad jokes and the punishment doesn't fit the crime... do you want to end the violence against women crisis in our country or not?

Kinda getting the vibe that people are more interested in protecting the right to shit comedy than the lives and safety of women.

One of the key areas that is linked to crimes against women is the use of illicit drugs. Yet the AFL’s policy on illicit drugs is soft.

However, jokes in poor taste in a private function are subject to immediate fines and suspension.

Problem with the AFL wading in and being the moral authority.

One of the key areas that is linked to crimes against women is the use of illicit drugs. Yet the AFL’s policy on illicit drugs is soft.

However, jokes in poor taste in a private function are subject to immediate fines and suspension.

Problem with the AFL wading in and being the moral authority.
We can all agree the AFL has some hypocrisy and problematic aspects that get largely ignored.

But that doesn't have any bearing on the behaviour of these players, and whether it deserves some consequences.

So those GWS players in your mind deliberately had the intent in their mind to make light hearted fun of the victims.

Is that what your saying?
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they knew but just didn't care.

Intent does not equate to outcome though.

And just because they are AFL players doesn't mean they are immune or should be excused from having some very basic common sense and empathy.

With all due respect, have you done any research on the subject of domestic violence/violence against women? Because if you have, surely one of the most basic concepts you would've learned is that actions like that seen on Wednesday is very prototypical of precursors to actual violence occurring. In many cases it starts as a casual, comedic attitude towards violence and women, and when enabled, becomes something worse.

That is why there has to be punishment here. These young men need to be disciplined and educated now, while it can still make a difference. Kill it at the first chance.

Surely understanding and supporting this is more important than a bunch of AFL players getting to play a few games next year?
100% i hate to reference this but just look at the events of what happened with yung philly the UK Youtuber. He did funny interview with girls at festivals that were laughed off as a little weird but no he has alleged charges against him for actions whilst on tour in Western Australia.

The progression of this stuff is pretty obvious it might not happen every time but it happens enough that it needs to be punished because it is an unacceptable progression or imitation. Its our responsibility and men and women to call it out when this stuff happens

Mate you cant be serious no human being is going to have that thinking of making fun of a rape victim.

If so they got off lightly
He brought a sex doll to replicate the victim and then simulated a sexual assault in the name of entertainment. He even had another player as the taxi driver, who had waited for Hayne while he performed the assault.

The theme was controversial couples wasn't it, makes it even more bizarre and distasteful.

I'm not sure how he could have done it more clearly. It's really odd that people are keen to defend this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if I'd call the mocking of someone who suffered a violent rape "nothing." Is there a reason you keep avoiding mentioning that one explicitly?

Apologies, I’m referring to the players who weren’t directly responsible for the “skits”, but instead were fined solely for not putting a stop to it (i.e., “doing nothing”).

I have a fundamental problem with player being punished for doing nothing.

My view: if the players acting in poor taste were pulled aside, given a stern talking to (in private) & asked to give some money to an appropriate charity as penance - that’d be a constructive result.

But instead, the AFL decided to grandstand and publicly self-glorify themselves as the corporate moral guardians of society.

Did these players really deserve to be publicly lynched? They are young men who did something silly and boorish at a party. Not illegal. Not violent. But I can’t begin to imagine how they feel tonight, having been hauled out for a very public flogging by the AFL.

If I do something out of order at a work party, I might (rightfully) get in a lot of strife. But my employer won’t call a press conference to name & shame me.

Anyway … now we just have more public culture wars …. both sides firmly entrenched, pissed off at the other & absolutely nothing constructive will come of it.

In fact, it might be the opposite - there’ll be an bogan element determined to prove they don’t bend to the outrage mob. And the outrage mob will become even more self righteous and indignant.

This could have been handled so much better.

Nobody has behaved well. The AFL included. There are no winners here.

Last edited:
I am not personally offended by it. But I think the AFL was always going to respond harshly to the Jarryd Hayne skit. Without it, the other skits would have probably been overlooked.

I don't follow NRL. But even I was aware of the Jarryd Hayne sexual assault allegations. I think there were 3 jury trials. Hung jury, then two guilty verdicts then he won an appeal to get another retrial.

So the woman making the allegation would have had to go to court 3 times to give evidence and be cross examined. So there would be some women offfended that she is now represented as a blow up doll in a skit of the incident.

The current political climate seems to be sensitive to issues of domestic violence and bad behaviour against women. So the AFL would have also been criticized if they said it was ok behaviour.

Last edited:
Apologies, I’m referring to the players who weren’t directly responsible for the “skits”, but instead were fined solely for not putting a stop to it (i.e., “doing nothing”).

I have a fundamental problem with player being punished for doing nothing.
Sorry, the leadership group not putting their foot down and stopping their teammates mocking a rape victim isn't them being fined for 'doing nothing'.
Anyway … now we just have more public culture wars …. both sides firmly entrenched, pissed off at the other & absolutely nothing constructive will come of it.

In fact, it might be the opposite - there’ll be an bogan element determined to prove they don’t bend to the outrage mob. And the outrage mob will become even more self righteous and indignant.
Do you believe you sit outside while claiming that a group of men mocking a rape victim of another sportsmen is just 'booring behaviour'?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back