Brownlow 2024 Brownlow - Congratulations Patrick Cripps Dual Brownlow Medallist 🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty got 11 BOGs from 22 possible games in H&A. 50%

But then got 3/3 BOGs in finals so finished 14/25 BOGs in the 2017 season. 56%

Congrats to Crippa, for not letting Daicos or Neale win it 👍
Dusty's 2017 was the best individual season in modern times before this year. I think the sheer weight of votes though...45 just blows everything else out of the water.

Acknowledging recency bias but yes I believe it would have to.

Given that he would not only be skipper but to have led a club that has been at rock bottom and starved of premiership success for so long - I think a Cripps led premiership would rank as one of, if not the most special flags in the club's history.

It would cap off the legend that he is creating.

Too right…I’d love for every player on the list to give themselves an opportunity of working on things and getting the absolute best out of themselves.

Like Crippa says, life is short give it everything you got…football is significantly shorter. I think there’s a few that need significant reminding of that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dusty's 2017 was the best individual season in modern times before this year. I think the sheer weight of votes though...45 just blows everything else out of the water.

The second half of that season for Dusty was incredible, he polled early but it took off in the second half and was clearly BOG in all the finals as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The main news.com.au

Not surprised at all.

I still don't know who won the Brownlow :rolleyes:

This is their AFL page:-

‘Insufferable’: Brownlow host under fire
‘Got to change’: Award divides AFL world

Nick off! Brownlow blows it again

WTF - 'Another Nick Daicos snub on Brownlow night'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few things with this.

1. Apparently the AFL as of the 2023 season stopped allowing the umpires to view the stats sheets after games. Consequently Neale 2023 (a surprising winner who didn’t make the AA team) and Cripps 2024 (due to sheer amount of votes) are the most recent winners and both caused controversy.

This to me and many others seems a little too coincidental to say this change wasn’t a factor and as such made the Brownlow more of a popularity contest. As the better known players will catch the eye of the umpires. I’m not trying to discredit Cripps’s Brownlow or anything, I think it’s well deserved but we can’t ignore the fact he got 3 votes for games that were ridiculous. I believe he got 3 votes for a 19 dis and 0 goal game and didn’t even poll any coaches votes.

It wasn’t just Cripps either, same thing happened with Daicos. So something has changed drastically with how the umpires are voting imo anyway.

2. In regards to Dustys 2017 season, Dusty won everything. Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award, AA, B&F, Gary Ayers award, NS and flag. Cripps did not even achieve half of those things this season.

It’s up to you if you think more Brownlow votes outweighs all those other achievements. I personally don’t, but it’s all subjective 👍

A few things with this.

1. Apparently the AFL as of the 2023 season stopped allowing the umpires to view the stats sheets after games. Consequently Neale 2023 (a surprising winner who didn’t make the AA team) and Cripps 2024 (due to sheer amount of votes) are the most recent winners and both caused controversy.

This to me and many others seems a little too coincidental to say this change wasn’t a factor and as such made the Brownlow more of a popularity contest. As the better known players will catch the eye of the umpires. I’m not trying to discredit Cripps’s Brownlow or anything, I think it’s well deserved but we can’t ignore the fact he got 3 votes for games that were ridiculous. I believe he got 3 votes for a 19 dis and 0 goal game and didn’t even poll any coaches votes.

It wasn’t just Cripps either, same thing happened with Daicos. So something has changed drastically with how the umpires are voting imo anyway.

2. In regards to Dustys 2017 season, Dusty won everything. Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award, AA, B&F, Gary Ayers award, NS and flag. Cripps did not even achieve half of those things this season.

It’s up to you if you think more Brownlow votes outweighs all those other achievements. I personally don’t, but it’s all subjective 👍

Umpires were never actually meant to view the stats. In practice though it was common for umpires to bring phones into the rooms and have a glance and this was cracked down on.

The main board thread is some special kind of stupid.

Brownlow voting isn't intended to be a perfect or precise measure of the season you had. It's a measure of how the umpires felt you went, as independent arbiters of the game; hence, the tag 'Best and Fairest'.

The more votes you receive is not a testament to how much better a game you were or how much better your season was than the bloke who won it last year. People reading too much into what is a very ****ing straightforward award.

People looking for a reason to whinge often find precisely what they are looking for.
Apparently those same people whinge when their arses are on fire.

Not surprised at all.

I still don't know who won the Brownlow :rolleyes:

This is their AFL page:-

‘Insufferable’: Brownlow host under fire
‘Got to change’: Award divides AFL world

Nick off! Brownlow blows it again

WTF - 'Another Nick Daicos snub on Brownlow night'

Nick "poochie" daicos

FWIW he seems like a good kid, and a special player, but the way the media felate him is off-putting.

I dunno I think I kind of like the fact they dont look at stats, means the cheapy stat padder types are less likely to poll crazily and we all know stats aren't everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow - Congratulations Patrick Cripps Dual Brownlow Medallist 🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back