Prediction 2024 Brownlow Medal contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate him highly and he's added more hurt factor to his disposal as the year has gone on.

My post wasn't a dig at Serong, merely adding context to "Player X faces this challenge to win the Brownlow". Bontempelli has had a vote stealing midfield most of his career.
But it’s factual besides cats 07-09 and lions 01-03 majority of Brownlow winners come from thin midfields
That’s not a negative it’s a trend.
I don’t shit can people I’m just positive to my own.
If it irritates you please block me

With the age of our midfield it would compare to cats 05-06
Ablett from 23 years old started winning at least 2 of the "Big 3" season awards each year: Player MVP, Coaches Association Award, Brownlow. 2007-2009. He did have a deeper/better group of vote stealing midfield rotations than Serong currently faces: Bartel, Corey, Selwood, Johnson, Chapman, Ling, Kelly, Enright (was a wingman/half back hybrid until 2010). Serong is absolutely a chance this year.

But it’s factual besides cats 07-09 and lions 01-03 majority of Brownlow winners come from thin midfields
Stop acting like a petulant 3 year old with statements like the bolded and simply discuss football. People can disagree or offer different perspectives in a civil way. I'm not throwing any negative criticism of Serong, merely challenging the whole "he'd be a shoe in if he didn't have these players on his team stealing votes". Other players have had bigger obstacles in that respect before and it's a reality for many great midfielders over the years.

The whole "this player from Freo should be rated higher but won't because of reason X" routine will consistently be challenged by me. So maybe it's you that needs to block me. As it seems you are very agitated if anyone dares reply to your points.

Judd 2004.
Cousins 2005.
Judd 2010.
Swan 2011.
Mitchell 2012.

All had deep midfields and/or superstars to contend with.

Dangerfield 2016 was alongside one of Selwood's better seasons.

Along with the Brisbane and Geelong sides '01-'03 and '07-09 that's 10 or 11 seasons this century where a player won a Brownlow with significant "vote stealing" obstacles. Just under half the time.

Judd 2004.
Cousins 2005.
Judd 2010.
Swan 2011.
Mitchell 2012.

All had deep midfields and/or superstars to contend with.

Dangerfield 2016 was alongside one of Selwood's better seasons.

Along with the Brisbane and Geelong sides '01-'03 and '07-09 that's 10 or 11 seasons this century where a player won a Brownlow with significant "vote stealing" obstacles. Just under half the time.

I’m not sure about this vote stealing thing. Would you say it was harder for Ablett to win the 09 or 13 Brownlow?

Your team sort of has to win to get more chance at votes too.

Is Cripps really favourite ? I think Daicos wins by 5+ votes. Neale 2nd Heeney 3rd.
Don't be silly

Cripps would have 30+ already, but Daicos by my own estimations has just tied up with Cripps and for Cripps to win outright he needs to poll this weekend

Probably going to be:
Cripps/Dacios = 1st
Neale 3rd (Don't think he could catch them unless he polls 3)
Bont 4th
Heeney 5th

I would be extremely surprised if Cripps or Daicos didn't have 30+ on the night

He’s like 3rd in the coaches award I think. Severely underrated I had no idea he’s been playing that well especially at such a young age.
Hes won all three AFL rookie awards
HUN player of year and BnF last year and froths on important games being Dockers player of the finals (13 Ayres votes) in 2022 and he is one derby medal away from equaling the record in 30yrs of derby’s
He’s no gaz jnr talent but his hunger and drive for success is off the charts.

I think Neale will be top 5 again, maybe not win it but he is on track to move up to about number 7-8 all time for Brownlow votes after this year and is a possibility for being a top 2-3 all time by career end! Hats off to this guy!
Should at least get 20 votes which will see Neale surpass 10th placed Leigh Matthews in all-time Brownlow votes. Fair chance he gets the 25 votes required to surpass 9th placed Chris Judd and 8th placed Dustin Martin as well. Impressive stuff from a 31 year old that probably has a few really good years left in him.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Noah Anderson polls this year. He had some absolutely massive games at home in 2024 and a few decent ones away too. I could definitely see him polling 20+ again this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be silly

Cripps would have 30+ already, but Daicos by my own estimations has just tied up with Cripps and for Cripps to win outright he needs to poll this weekend

Probably going to be:
Cripps/Dacios = 1st
Neale 3rd (Don't think he could catch them unless he polls 3)
Bont 4th
Heeney 5th

I would be extremely surprised if Cripps or Daicos didn't have 30+ on the night
Reckon the last 2 weeks would have cost Neale. Probably needed votes to stay in touch and probably doesn't get enough. Even 3 tonight sees him finish in that 3rd or so spot

Reckon the last 2 weeks would have cost Neale. Probably needed votes to stay in touch and probably doesn't get enough. Even 3 tonight sees him finish in that 3rd or so spot

Good. He doesn't deserve to be crowned a 3 x Brownlow medalist. Simply never been superior to any of his peers.
Great midfielder though.

I think tomorrow really comes down to whether Ross the Toss tags Cripps in the last game of the year like an absolute flog. Think any votes for him tomorrow secures it but still think he's a chance without it.

Went back through the tracker to double check and reckon he will be on 34 going into this game.

I’m not sure about this vote stealing thing. Would you say it was harder for Ablett to win the 09 or 13 Brownlow?

Your team sort of has to win to get more chance at votes too.
Easier in '13. A "happy medium" team is the best. Competitive team that wins 40-60% of their games and rarely gets thrashed in the others. A good solid team without the deepest midfield or too many midfield stars stealing your votes is the ideal set up to rack them in heavily.

There are issues with being in either too dominant or too terrible of a side.

Good. He doesn't deserve to be crowned a 3 x Brownlow medalist. Simply never been superior to any of his peers.
Great midfielder though.

Completely agree... great midfielder, but 3x Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale just ain't right. He'd be a lock Hall of Fame Legend too if that was the case, and he really isn't fitting of being an AFL Legend

A bloke who has played 70 games and not taken a single contested mark should not win a brownlow. Soft.
Sounds like a child’s post.

After his last 2 seasons , to say Daicos should not win a Brownlow is a ridiculous thing to say. He would of won last year if not cruelled by injury late in the season.

I think if he salutes this year it would be fantastic and certainly very well deserved.

Not many would begrudge him, apart from the “anti-Collingwood” nuffies, you wouldn’t be one of them by chance ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 Brownlow Medal contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back