Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you Jon Pierik for a MSM view that fits with 99% of the BF on this issue - well done Cripps, but the system is busted and the Brownlow risks becoming a joke.

As pointed out earlier though, Jon just cost himself GF tix for his stance!

The first guy to stop clapping Stalin, lol

Not an excuse but may help explain things..

I’m a Community Level Umpire - I’ve umpired Major League & Minor League GF’s for the last few years

During the regular season, I run in a combination of a two umpire system and a three umpire system. I have no and will not ever do a four umpire system.

In a two umpire system, my partner and I are in regular communication at each break discussing who we like for each side. At quarter time we may have 6-8, at half time we might have more or usually slightly less and at 3/4 time we’ve generally shaved it down a few and the post game it’s generally fairly simple.

A three umpire system is harder, there’s an extra opinion and due to the rotation pattern you can go in and out of the game and you can have periods when you are not in control and a fair way off. I find the discussions at breaks are less frequent and more often than not you are discussing positioning and handovers etc. When it comes to doing votes you get an extra opinion and because you haven’t narrowed it down, it’s harder to get consensus…so you tend to go with a compromise which is usually someone relatively well known.

That’s my experience.

I can onlu imagine what it’s like with four out there…
Goodluck and thanks for Community level hard works.

There may be a new rule that says P. Cripps 3 votes for every game in the land. Spelling is critical as many awards based sportspeeps are in the process of changing their name by depol.

Goodluck and thanks for Community level hard works.

There may be a new rule that says P. Cripps 3 votes for every game in the land.
Maybe just set it as the default and the umps can change it if they have time.

Spelling is critical as many awards based sportspeeps are in the process of changing their name by depol.
Deed poll? :D

I know Dustys 2017 season makes Geelong people feel insecure because GAJ never had a season as good as that but seriously one cares about Dangerfield 2017 season. It wasn’t as good, Dusty spanked him in finals on top of it.

Honestly mate, you need to get that absurd notion out of your head.
Martin is not even the best player of his generation let alone all-time top 20 player discussions.

He may be to your young mind, having not experienced footy when it was a much different sport to the one we have witnessed this past decade.

Martin is not even the best player of his generation let alone all-time top 20 player discussions.

He may be to your young mind, having not experienced footy when it was a much different sport to the one we have witnessed this past decade.
Unhinged contributor.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 195521.png

A season the little master didn't win a brownlow in, and spent most of the year having a spat with the coach, is superior to Dusty's precious 2017. Incidentally both were the same age in their respective seasons.

As always GAJ>>Dusty

Let's go back to 1924 the start of the Brownlow. All games were on at 2pm, you couldn't take a transistor radio to the game and even if you could, ABC 3LO/774 and all other stations hadn't commenced operating and TV didn't happen for another 32 years. It's logical that the umpire was the best placed to give votes.

We have gone from 18 players and two non-replaceable subs to 22 players who interchange and sit on the bench for periods of time and western royboy eloquently stated that three umpires makes the decision making process more convoluted, let alone four now.

It means that 6.8% of players have the possibility to get a vote in a game compared to 8.6% in 1924 (ignoring the subs in both years). The differential of 3, 2 1 and zero does not normally mean that the best player was three times more impacting than the third best player and that the fourth best player did nothing in the game.

My plan would be to move to a less divergent 6,5,4,3,2,1 giving 13% of players votes and the ability for the four umpires a chance to provide votes to others than the midfield. I also see that stats, especially when players were benched and back on compared to scoring, along with other standard stats are provided. If we are going to hang the umpires on stats alone, then isn't it fair for them to see the stats.

So it's going to be a long night with a 6,5, 4,3, 2, 1 - I am sure there is an ability to rejig the night but we are after an accurate result as best we can and accuracy does take time. Ch 7 will like the additional ad-breaks. I would also look at suspensions, where players are being outed more often for accidental contact or for a clumsy tackle.

With lack of significant TV broadcasts of all game and lack of accessible stats for the first 50 years, it was probably a lot easier on the umpires. Let's give the umpires the tools they need and the ability to name most of the key players and keep the Brownlow the key metric of who is best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the awards mate like shit.

Unhinged contributor.

View attachment 2121764

A season the little master didn't win a brownlow in, and spent most of the year having a spat with the coach, is superior to Dusty's precious 2017. Incidentally both were the same age in their respective seasons.

As always GAJ>>Dusty

GAJ is so much better that everybody would pick Dusty in the most important games of the year over him.

I’ll let you dwell on that before you post something that stupid again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back