Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

So are we going to get the trifecta tonightā€¦. RUNNER-UP in all of Brownlow, GOTY and MOTY??? šŸ¤£

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% Harley wins goal of the year

Not because it was the best goal, but because it's a first year player kicking a great goal amongst two Collingwood nominations so our votes will be split and everyone else will vote Harley

Mark of the year I'm not as certain

Gut still says Elliott and Hill will split votes and there'll be enough non-Collingwood people voting Dursma out of spite to make sure a Collingwood player doesn't win. But Dursma's mark is objectively inferior to Hill and Jamie's

Not because it was the best goal, but because it's a first year player kicking a great goal amongst two Collingwood nominations so our votes will be split and everyone else will vote Harley

Gut still says Elliott and Hill will split votes and there'll be enough non-Collingwood people voting Dursma out of spite to make sure a Collingwood player doesn't win. But Dursma's mark is objectively inferior to Hill and Jamie's
Like the year Daniher beat Howie because flog fans voted to spite us

Shame there aren't any other Pies Players(who will poll) with names starting with N or Blues with P so we can get some pregnant pauses from Dillon. That was his only chance to be a bit interesting.

We'll find out just how much personality he has tonight to see if he flips the script and says the surname first with the Daicos brothers

"Daicos...J, 3 votes"

So are we going to get the trifecta tonightā€¦. RUNNER-UP in all of Brownlow, GOTY and MOTY??? šŸ¤£

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Given the disdain most in the AFL world has for us, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

They changed the rules on GOTY and MOTY, popular vote is only one small part now. I think Nick will struggle, too many losing games - though I guess the same is true of Cripps.

The winner is chosen by a 10 person committee and a single vote from the public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The winner is chosen by a 10 person committee and a single vote from the public.

Is it?

I always thought there was a semi-recent change where the panel put up the 3 nominees and then public votes on the winner

Last year I was really disappointed as I wanted The Bont to win (our boy close) and this year if Cripps get it I might need a new TV.
I genuinely smashed a TV once. The batteries were going flat and i was shaking the shit out of it and it slipped. The missus still thinks that's a load of shit. After all the Collingwood finals heartbreak it survived what a pathetic way to go out

I genuinely smashed a TV once. The batteries were going flat and i was shaking the shit out of it and it slipped. The missus still thinks that's a load of shit. After all the Collingwood finals heartbreak it survived what a pathetic way to go out

I purposely brought TVs during the Colliwobble years to break (stubby through screen) when we lost

Ahhh 1990 saved me some money

For the stats fans, by the end of this year's count, Nick will move into 7th place for best afield brownlow votes of Collingwood players all time - 4 x BOGs will see him pass his father. Has some chance of moving into equal 6th and 5th, but would require 8 or 9 BOG performances.
I don't care, just give him the Brownlow, best player in the comp by quite a bit

Not an actual fan of the Brownlow.
Itā€™s an award voted for by the guys and girls we spend all year abusing as not knowing the game. So whatā€™s its real value?
Nick has already got the coaches award. Which does have great value and should be looked upon by the media as the prestigious award it is.
But the mediaā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
I am a great fan. It works really well, has stood the test of time. If you understand the system you will know there is no really accurate way of determining the best player is an 18 on the field game with 800+ in the race. Doesnt matter what system you use and who judges it , you have to accept there is no absolutely accurate way to assess

Based on that the Brownlow does a really good job. I agree the AFLCA is the other big award re prestige while the PA award suffers a bit by its assessment system favouring a popularity vote.

Good news is year in year out the Brownlow and AFLCA correlate really strongly, almost always sharing 7, 8 or 9 players in their top 10s. They are selecting the same group of mids as each other. The actual winner is more of a lottery. So forget that in gauging whether the award does a good job

Also looking at the Brownlow over a career the best method of assessment is votes per game over a career. Look up that list and its a whose who of great mids. I reckon Bont and Neale are a great example why the winner, although deserving, is not the way to look at it. Neale has 2, Bont has none. They have played a similar no of games and Bont is just ahead in votes per game. Reckon most people would have these 2 as the best two mids of their generation and would rate the Bont just in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back