Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly- it’s the award night from the individuals who paid a free kick for Freo due to the ball not being passed back correctly to them.

Bont will probably win with 51 votes next year as a correction to under-polling this year.
Did Bont underpoll?

He got 19. It's hard to say without watching a lot more games, but from the Dogs games I saw, I wouldn't have had him in the best 3 on the ground in over half of them. He's the most complete sublime player in the league, but not necessarily as influential as often as some others.

I wouldn't have had Nick in the top 3 18 times either TBH or Cripps as many as he was.

I think all the midfield stars get more votes than they really should. Umps just seem to default to them.

Did Bont underpoll?

He got 19. It's hard to say without watching a lot more games, but from the Dogs games I saw, I wouldn't have had him in the best 3 on the ground in over half of them. He's the most complete sublime player in the league, but not necessarily as influential as often as some others.

I wouldn't have had Nick in the top 3 18 times either TBH or Cripps as many as he was.

I think all the midfield stars get more votes than they really should. Umps just seem to default to them.

Which is actually insane given we have a 4 umpire system

Shouldn’t backs and forwards be getting more votes than ever under a 4 umpire system? In theory at least

Which is actually insane given we have a 4 umpire system

Shouldn’t backs and forwards be getting more votes than ever under a 4 umpire system? In theory at least

To me, it's a midfielders game more than ever, so I'm not that fussed that they get the votes - they have the biggest influence on games. And I think it's better that the absolute stars of the game are winning these days, rather than Woewodin, Couch, Libba, Hardie, Wilson etc... But I don't view it as a more accurate reflection than any of the other awards, which I don't view as being accurate anyway - a 3-2-1 system is flawed if it's trying to tell us who the best player in the comp was that year. I think Heeney was the best player in the comp this year - but the nature of their midfield stars all being exciting meant their votes were spread around, so sometimes he played a game that was better than Nick or Paddy's games but got 1 or 2 votes where they got 3 as they didn't ahve the razzle dazzle of Warner or the silk of Errol beside them catching the eye.

most people are disgusted with the voting behaviour of the umpires.....however, their one bright idea was to give votes to Nick when josh played well in that one game. This should be extended to the whole of year. Obviously daicos voting should be pooled next year. They are both products of Peter. It seems natural to me.

I am?

Plenty of great players never win Brownlows.

Pendlebury is right up there in the all time vote getters and all those around him are dual Brownlow medallists no less, yet he doesn't one.

Sometimes for whatever reason, great players never win one.

Meanwhile, one season wonders sometimes do.
Pendlebury playing in the same team as Dane Swan certainly didn't help his chances.

who does the votes? 1 umpire or all 4 get together and decide?
all 4 which is amazing now especially with 4, that they can all get to a point of agreement on it.
I do believe this is why they settle for certain big names and there will be a trend towards higher polling for star players. It's just easier to give 3 votes to Cripps than argue about which other Carlton players were influential.

I feel what we saw last night, even for Nick - shows this. They've gone lazy with it now. Giving it barely a thought.

If they're going to insist on continuing with tradition and having umpires vote this award, I think it needs some tweaking.

How about the entire crew of 10 umpires give their votes, like Didaka style / Coaches award style. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Then work out who ranks 3, 2 and 1 from the tally of that.

The broader perspective, voting, will get a better result overall.

Having 4 people have to unanimously decide on a 3, 2, 1 isn't working now. 2 umpires, it maybe worked. 3 even. 4 is too many people now having to align. I bet a lot of settling happens.

Anyway, they'll never change it. So just need to not care about it really. I rate coaches award highest.

all 4 which is amazing now especially with 4, that they can all get to a point of agreement on it.
I do believe this is why they settle for certain big names and there will be a trend towards higher polling for star players. It's just easier to give 3 votes to Cripps than argue about which other Carlton players were influential.

I feel what we saw last night, even for Nick - shows this. They've gone lazy with it now. Giving it barely a thought.
agree,
so many umpires and their peripheral vision of the game and other players involved is not what it used to be when a single umpire followed the whole game.
Cripps is a deserved winner though.

agree,
so many umpires and their peripheral vision of the game and other players involved is not what it used to be when a single umpire followed the whole game.
Cripps is a deserved winner though.
absolutely don't dispute Cripps winning. Thought Nick could have perhaps shared it too. But to win like he did and even Nick polling 38, it's a broken system now.

As long as they continue like this, I would say Nick will end up with at least two himself. Can see he's already on their radar. He even gets his brothers votes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a general comment.

We now have four umpires that cover the whole ground.

Yet, it's only midfielders that get the votes?

You would think so.
But long gone are the days backmen and forwards win Brownlows. Its very much a midfielders medal.

I'm not realistically expecting a forward of back to win it.

But they barely even get votes. Ditto ruckmen. Darcy Cameron was borderline All Australian and didn't get ONE vote?

absolutely don't dispute Cripps winning. Thought Nick could have perhaps shared it too. But to win like he did and even Nick polling 38, it's a broken system now.

As long as they continue like this, I would say Nick will end up with at least two himself. Can see he's already on their radar. He even gets his brothers votes!
Disagree that it's broken - just take a look at Cripps' stats in isolation through the year. It's only really the round 12/13 games where the votes seem a bit generous. Other than that, his polling matches include 30+ possessions and a goal or two.

most people are disgusted with the voting behaviour of the umpires.....however, their one bright idea was to give votes to Nick when josh played well in that one game. This should be extended to the whole of year. Obviously daicos voting should be pooled next year. They are both products of Peter. It seems natural to me.
So, does Peter then get the Medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back