Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

The vote was so ridiculously high for what was a good but not once in a generation season, that it really loses any sense of credibility this year. If anything it shows you where Carlton's list is at. Their cap is being spent on 6 guys and then cliffs. Which based on all the trade and end of season reports, I think they've finally figured out.

Anyway, this was good stuff.

So if you go by this result, Cripps had the greatest individual season by any player ever…comfortably. So name one thing he did, let alone a season of supposed epicness where you should be able to point out several things off the top of your head.

So that’s two Brownlows for Cripps now which should result in massive changes to this award, both his wins show this current point system is broken instead of him having two all time seasons.

So if you go by this result, Cripps had the greatest individual season by any player ever…comfortably. So name one thing he did, let alone a season of supposed epicness where you should be able to point out several things off the top of your head.
No - Cripps had the best individual season while surrounded by spuds. Usually teams have more than one decent player midfielder.

Yep - it totally devalues the medal. He was a worthy winner, but scoring 3 votes multiple times in a losing team is a joke.
I not suggesting anything untoward from the umpires, but really need to question umpire unconscious bias in voting, particularly when we have so many poor umpires running around currently.

Tradition says the brownlow is voted on by umpires. It’s time to have a rethink. Tradition says that this is the most prestigious individual award in our game. If it’s going to remain that way it’s time to hand over voting to a broader cohort. Include umpires. Add coaches. Add respected former players from each team or media.

I’m not outraged, but it is currently the AFL Logies.

So according to the Brownlow combined votes, here’s this year’s top 4:

1. Sydney
2. Footscray
3. Carlton
4. Fremantle

It just really devalues the whole comp.

No - Cripps had the best individual season while surrounded by spuds. Usually teams have more than one decent player midfielder.

Right, so let’s call it the midfielders award then. No one takes the Dally M seriously in the NRL anymore because you have to be a 1, 7 of 9 to win it. The fact Ponga won it last year despite missing half the season put the whole thing in the spotlight.

Cripps may be a worthy winner which at least he has that of Ponga but not like this. He did not have anything close to the greatest season of all time.

Doesn’t that side also have like 3 other All Australians in it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that’s two Brownlows for Cripps now which should result in massive changes to this award, both his wins show this current point system is broken instead of him having two all time seasons.

It’s just a reflection on how dogshit Carlton’s list is. Their cap is basically 6 players and then it’s all bona fide spuds. Crippa was probably responsible for more than half of their wins on his own. There is also a visibility bias with Cripps due to his size and all the white strapping imo.

They really should rethink the Brownlow so that forwards and defenders can get an equal look in on different metrics. There are plenty of players I would take tomorrow before Crippa.

Why cant the coaches votes be sealed in an envelope and not be published, would give great key position players a chance, and better reflect who the best players actually are.

I have come to have nought but contempt for the midfielders medal.

I'm a great believer in the voting staying with the umps because in all honesty they're ( theoretically ) the most unbiased people out there and it's unique.

A couple of issues have arisen. We have so many umpires now what weight do each of them have? You can't tell me some would hold more sway over others and some of them would just say whatever ,you put them in mate. So we need more visibility on the adjudication process other than they discuss it and then agree.

45 votes for Cripps is self evidently insane. I saw some of the games he got 3's in and that just wasn't right. So something needs to be looked into there.

Of course the AFL will think it's great because he's a poster boy until they see the TV ratings I'm thinking.

It’s just a reflection on how dogshit Carlton’s list is. Their cap is basically 6 players and then it’s all bona fide spuds. Crippa was probably responsible for more than half of their wins on his own. There is also a visibility bias with Cripps due to his size and all the white strapping imo.

They really should rethink the Brownlow so that forwards and defenders can get an equal look in on different metrics. There are plenty of players I would take tomorrow before Crippa.

And poor old camper van wietering 0 votes.

I prefer the remix!

Just spent 10 minutes trying to find the clip of a Carlton fan saying "I'm just bored of winning. We are THAT team... we are so F**cking good."

If anyone knows where it is, please post it, it is so so funny.

Right, so let’s call it the midfielders award then. No one takes the Dally M seriously in the NRL anymore because you have to be a 1, 7 of 9 to win it.
Freudian slip? I haven't seen her win a Dally M yet.

1464939601-seven-of-nine-jeri-ryan.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back