Official Club Stuff 2024 Club Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Just need to get Melbourne out of the G and ESS and Blues can have their homes games there. Too bad the AFL does own the G. Then you could have Pies, Tiges, Blues and Dons at the G, give Hawks and Melb the doggy split between G and Marvel and the rest at Marvel.

Just need to get Melbourne out of the G and ESS and Blues can have their homes games there. Too bad the AFL does own the G. Then you could have Pies, Tiges, Blues and Dons at the G, give Hawks and Melb the doggy split between G and Marvel and the rest at Marvel.
What a stupid argument.
The only club whose home ground has always been the MCG, who founded football and is aligned with MCC is going to be moved?
Football isn’t just about the big 3 and Essendon.

What a stupid argument.
The only club whose home ground has always been the MCG, who founded football and is aligned with MCC is going to be moved?
Richmond's HQ practically on the verandah of the G,our home ground since 1965.
The only 2 clubs that should not be moved from the G but the CFL boy's club did move Richmond back in our bleak era.

What a stupid argument.
My argument is the other tenants should split between Marvel and the MCG. The MCG is Melbourne's original home ground.

Melbourne is synonymous with the MCG. There's no way they would move elsewhere.
Up until 1980 Melbourne FC founded way back in 1858 were still part of the MCC after becoming part of the MCC Sporting Section in 1890.

Melbourne FC also played the first ever football match at the MCG which was held in July 1859.

The Argus newspaper provided a lengthy account of this game:
"The long-talked-of football match between the Melbourne and South Yarra Clubs was commenced on Saturday afternoon, upon the Melbourne Cricket Ground, which was allowed to be used for the occasion before this other matches were played at the Richmond Paddock next door to the MCG."

And with that rich history I don't see Melbourne ever being kicked of the MCG!

A match being played on the Richmond Paddock 1850s you can see the MCG and first MCC members pavilion in the background.
1714618187153.png

Last edited:
Up until 1980 Melbourne FC founded way back in 1858 were still part of the MCC after becoming part of the MCC Sporting Section in 1890.

Melbourne FC also played the first ever football match at the MCG which was held in July 1859.

The Argus newspaper provided a lengthy account of this game:
"The long-talked-of football match between the Melbourne and South Yarra Clubs was commenced on Saturday afternoon, upon the Melbourne Cricket Ground, which was allowed to be used for the occasion before this other matches were played at the Richmond Paddock next door to the MCG."

And with that rich history I don't see Melbourne ever being kicked of the MCG!

A match being played on the Richmond Paddock 1850s you can see the MCG and first MCC members pavilion in the background.
View attachment 1976635
Richmond Paddock! :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive good luck getting to a Carlton game this year

We can see their latest crowds vs smaller clubs

Marvel - GWS 40k
MCG - Geelong 87k

Next few MCG games vs coll melb and Ess should all be around that Geelong figure
The premier club in the land? They are scarily big! This is exactly what I think we would be when we get going and start winning finals..

Marvel - GWS 40k
MCG - Geelong 87k

Next few MCG games vs coll melb and Ess should all be around that Geelong figure

Fortunately I have a Captains Club Reserved seat M/ship & MCC M/ship

It is also synonymous with sub par crowds and membership. I wouldn’t have suggested Marvel if they weren’t. I get the history and all that. But times change.
70,000 members for a smaller club and being in the top 5 for attendances the last few years is sub-par?

Marvel should be sold and every game should be played at the MCG Thursday to Sunday with the smaller clubs selling off a few home games to regional areas.

The Docklands business case no longer stands up when you have to force Carlton and Essendon to play six home games there.

They also hardly get any soccer, rugby or concerts there anymore like they thought they would.

Marvel should be sold and every game should be played at the MCG Thursday to Sunday with the smaller clubs selling off a few home games to regional areas.

The Docklands business case no longer stands up when you have to force Carlton and Essendon to play six home games there.

They also hardly get any soccer, rugby or concerts there anymore like they thought they would.
The problem apart from International soccer and rugby matches the local comps don't have enough supporters to make it viable to play at the 56,000 Marvel anymore and the AFL still get a good number of concerts/events that make them good money!

Marvel - GWS 40k
MCG - Geelong 87k

MCG is expecting a crowd around 60k tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff 2024 Club Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back