2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

had a chat with Scott Macdougal (talent scout of Gippy power and Vic Country) about Elwood Peckett today.

reckons he has the drive and talent to be a top tier mid, likens him to Chad Warner, but more attacking

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thats high praise. Can't say he looks like a Chad Warner but more attacking from afar/vision. Good ball user though and seems to have a good footy IQ.

I see Jack Off and Tauru had good games again. Ough has a very late bday. Twomey suggesting Tauru might be moving towards top 10. Separately, Jack has a brother named Piss.

Peckett only 14. Hynes was going well when I saw him for a little bit, but 15/16 touches and 2 goals. Quite the beast.

So I'm gonna guess

Pick 1 - Richmond takes Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 2 - North does a pick split with Gold Coast. North get 6 and multiple sweeteners (depending on what survives trades), GC get 2 and some lower order picks to help with the Lombard bid. Could be one of those pre-arranged trades at the start of draft night. Gold Coast do an Ashcroft bid to piss off Brisbane, then go for Josh Smillie
Pick 3 - Gets traded to Richmond as part of the Baker deal. Richmond take Jagga Smith
Pick 4 - Adelaide play it safe and take local product Sid Draper
Pick 5 - Melbourne draft Harvey Langford
Pick 6 - North go tall and take Luke Trainor with an eye to getting Shanahan or a Whitlock later
St Kilda now choose between Murphy Reid, Sam Lalor and Tobie Travaglia with our one or two picks, but first I'd love a bid on Lombard because screw the northern academies.

There is also a scenario where West Coast decide pick 3 is too much to part with for Baker and we trade a first rounder alongside a 2024 or 2025 second rounder. We then pull the trigger on Smith or Langford.
Hi all and terrific post above.
Today I watched a grand final on the Mornington Peninsula with some old footy mates and was introduced to a guy named Tim of whom is a junior talent scout for the Saints Academy southern district team.
It was an insightful chat about how they operate, the Saints academy and players.
He has worked for several clubs and stated that the Saints have the best academy for any Vic club he has worked for or others he knows as to how they operate. He has not worked for the interstate clubs.
He stated that we will definitely see further players grow through our academy and will reap rewards.
I asked that if the Saints were to pick three players this draft who would they be. He said 1st and foremost was Langford, Langford, Langford. He also stated that don't be surprised if he slid to us given that West Coast, Melb, Norf in particular are expected to pick suited players or key position players pushing some mids back.
Langford is a bull, can spread and is influential and a potential captain.
He then said don't go past Cooper Hynes. Underrated, work horse, tough, loves to get dirty, explosive.
Next was Travaglia. Ross loves him. Elite engine and user. Can be a future lead up forward, winger and mid to compliment recruited bulls.
Just thought I would share.

Bit of reading if you're interested

Scouting Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League – Wildcard Round (Metro)​

Scouting Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League – Wildcard Round (Country)​

Scouting Notes: 2024 WAFL Colts – Finals Week One​

Scouting Notes: 2024 SANFL U18s – Semi Finals​

I see Jack Off and Tauru had good games again. Ough has a very late bday. Twomey suggesting Tauru might be moving towards top 10. Separately, Jack has a brother named Piss.

Peckett only 14. Hynes was going well when I saw him for a little bit, but 15/16 touches and 2 goals. Quite the beast.
Was coming to make the same comment re: Ough. He could be like Pou, later DOB and hitting better form as the season goes on. Great size at 194cm too.

I'm not worried by Peckett and Hynes disposal counts. Top 5 disposals for the game were 27, 25, 21, 21, 18... Not a high possie game.

Today I watched a grand final on the Mornington Peninsula with some old footy mates and was introduced to a guy named Tim of whom is a junior talent scout for the Saints Academy southern district team.
It was an insightful chat about how they operate, the Saints academy and players.
He has worked for several clubs and stated that the Saints have the best academy for any Vic club he has worked for or others he knows as to how they operate. He has not worked for the interstate clubs.
He stated that we will definitely see further players grow through our academy and will reap rewards.
I asked that if the Saints were to pick three players this draft who would they be. He said 1st and foremost was Langford, Langford, Langford. He also stated that don't be surprised if he slid to us given that West Coast, Melb, Norf in particular are expected to pick suited players or key position players pushing some mids back.
He then said don't go past Cooper Hynes. Underrated, work horse, tough, loves to get dirty, explosive.
Next was Travaglia. Ross loves him. Elite engine and user. Can be a future lead up forward, winger and mid to compliment recruited bulls.
Please keep coming back if this is what you bring to the forum.

Always been a massive avocate for top 5 picks and just wanted to revisit in more detail after Watson dominated in his first year tonight.

Study conducted from 2000-2021 (Pick/Ave Games up to 2010/Hit rate above ave player on ave games and expectation %)

Have some qualifications like impact over short career and auto ticked any player who won a flag but raw numbers are as follows;

Pick. 1 / 237 ave games / 68%
2. 196/73
3. 205/59
4. 136/50
5. 221/46
6. 93/18
7. 211/46
8. 113/27
9. 133/36

We are likely to end up with selections 8, 9 overall so this whole thing has not only wasted my time but severely dampened my spirirts at landing a superstar and i thought id at least try and share that misery with you all. x

The top picks are given a lot more chances than late picks. That games played is a shit guide. The Brownlow votes generally go to players picked higher in the draft. Good recruiting is more valuable than high picks still. Toce has done great work that hopefully gets backed up by Dalrymple.

100% I would. Go from two 30% chances of a good average player to a 70% chance of a gun. Id probably still do it without anything coming back.

People might say this draft is different but I disagree, reckon there is a natural top 4 emerging with the 6-10 guys with more bust risk.

Top 4: FOS, Smith, Draper, Ashcroft

5-10: Langford, Lalor, Trainor, Lombard, Smilie, Reid

I probably wouldn’t do it for anything less than pick 3. FOS, Smith or Draper over two of the leftovers say Reid/Trainor.

This draft is even. Pick 3 isn’t getting a much better player than where ours sit. I’m not trading in. I reckon this is a draft where good players will come in the 20s. You want more fingers in this pie not less.

Isn't Travaglia a half back for now, would wanna be careful predicting stuff.
Lalor, by most reports is the explosive bull mid we need, but has tended to play forward also.
Langford is the pure mid.

Please keep coming back if this is what you bring to the forum.
My pleasure Hangdog.
Will post as much as I can feed but will only give what I think is pertinent.
I got the most pleasure when he said that Essendope and Carloser had the worst academies that were basically ignored and just seemed to pocket the money.
Was interesting to see the latest notes posted on the recent games for the under 18's had that Langford struggled to get his game going and he had 32 possessions by altering his handball game to more of a kicking game. Wow.

My pleasure Hangdog.
Will post as much as I can feed but will only give what I think is pertinent.
I got the most pleasure when he said that Essendope and Carloser had the worst academies that were basically ignored and just seemed to pocket the money.
Was interesting to see the latest notes posted on the recent games for the under 18's had that Langford struggled to get his game going and he had 32 possessions by altering his handball game to more of a kicking game. Wow.
Where did you read that about Langlord?

Edit: I was going to fix the Langford typo but LangLORD sounds better

Lalor, by most reports is the explosive bull mid we need, but has tended to play forward also.
100% correct Saint but he is regarded as a future winger mid like Will Day. Tim said he is a perfect new generation utility that can be be placed anywhere. Wasn't predicting anything. These are from a scout AND is also voiced by Cal.
To conclude your query, Lalor is also terrific and would be rapt to get him. Pure class act.
I suppose, do we want a mid/forward or a pure mid? At this stage, being biased and knowing that our teams biggest deficiency is the midfield, I am leaning to the pure mid. Maybe this is why the scout voiced Langford so strongly when asked what player should the Saints get. Maybe he has inside knowledge of what the club has stated it requires or to be targeted.
Again, no predictions at all, just passing on the direct information from an insider from the club to you all.
Please utilise the information as you see fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% correct Saint but he is regarded as a future winger mid like Will Day. Tim said he is a perfect new generation utility that can be be placed anywhere. Wasn't predicting anything. These are from a scout AND is also voiced by Cal.

To conclude your query, Lalor is also terrific and would be rapt to get him. Pure class act.
I suppose, do we want a mid/forward or a pure mid? At this stage, being biased and knowing that our teams biggest deficiency is the midfield, I am leaning to the pure mid. Maybe this is why the scout voiced Langford so strongly when asked what player should the Saints get. Maybe he has inside knowledge of what the club has stated it requires or to be targeted.
Again, no predictions at all, just passing on the direct information from an insider from the club to you all.
Please utilise the information as you see fit.
Been well documented that’s what we are gonna do. Ross Lyon has litterly come out and said it

My only querie on Jack Off (Ough) is can he handle the undoubted teasing he will cop?

Please don't let the name of his brother, Piss, leak (See what I did there?) out. At least those names are better than their father's, which was Farque.

My only querie on Jack Off (Ough) is can he handle the undoubted teasing he will cop?

Please don't let the name of his brother, Piss, leak (See what I did there?) out. At least those names are better than their father's, which was Farque.
Ough is pronounced owwwww

had a chat with Scott Macdougal (talent scout of Gippy power and Vic Country) about Elwood Peckett today.

reckons he has the drive and talent to be a top tier mid, likens him to Chad Warner, but more attacking

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a fair wrap.

If other clubs think like that we might need to match earlier than we’d hoped.

The top picks are given a lot more chances than late picks. That games played is a shit guide. The Brownlow votes generally go to players picked higher in the draft. Good recruiting is more valuable than high picks still. Toce has done great work that hopefully gets backed up by Dalrymple.
Games played was just a benchmark/guide. Ultimately, I decided whether the player was a hit based upon games and all other factors but mostly just eye-balled it. Hits a pretty obvious. Its the pick/hit percentage that is my focus not my benchmarking method lol

Agree top picks are gifted more games but each pick is measured against itself so no issues in assessing the average of each respective pick (no matter what it is) as a benchmark.

You've mentioned brownlow votes before and i considered adding a column but key backs suffer and favour winning clubs much more so i remain unconvinced it is more useful benchmark than games played.

I certainly agree good recruiting is more valuable than high picks but both is better.

Would you rather be Jack Off or Jackie O? Do we want to watch Jack Off bursting through the middle? Maybe we could train him as a defender so he can go down back... ok ok I'm done.

His numbers since the champs are 32d, 25, 29, 14, 26, 33. Often gets 7/8 tackles too. Based on his late birthday, he looks to be coming home strong... that last one was innocent I swear.

As for Elwood, he'll be ours regardless, I'd prefer he has a few quiet games to finish the season now hes on everyones radar. Frankie was a 250 game player for us, I'm not sure if he'll be Chad Warner good, but if he plays more than his dad then we'll be doing very very well.

Last edited:
Pick 7 - Harvey Langford
Pick 8 - Sam Lalor
Trade 24 + 43 + Picks for outgoing players for Brisbanes First rounder draft one of - Travaglia/Lindsay/Hynes
Use junk picks for Elwood Peckett
More junk picks for Adrien Cole
Cat B Rookie - Lennox Hofman

We can dip into next years draft hand if we need to live trade for bid matching.

Pick 7 - Harvey Langford
Pick 8 - Sam Lalor
Trade 24 + 43 + Picks for outgoing players for Brisbanes First rounder draft one of - Travaglia/Lindsay/Hynes
Use junk picks for Elwood Peckett
More junk picks for Adrien Cole
Cat B Rookie - Lennox Hofman

We can dip into next years draft hand if we need to live trade for bid matching.
Don't mind it.

I really want both Lindsay and Hynes, but can't have them all I guess.

If we had 2 gun mids at 8+9, plus Peckett, I'd prefer we target a key forward, key back or ruck with our 3rd overall pick.

I like the look of Matt Whitlock and James Barratt. Barratt kicked 18.18 in his first 6 games before he was switched to defence, Matt Whitlock has kicked 27.20 while switching between the back and forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back