2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted in the main Draft Forum

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.
Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.
Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.

D8y9Rrv.gif

I wouldn't be upset if the club took a punt on Taj Hotton earlier than expected at pick #8. ACL's arent great, but with the right rehab, he will be ready to go early next year and a lot have no other problems.

I wonder if the club are waiting to see if they take Taj at the draft before making a decision on Olli? It would be pretty rough delisting the older brother to draft the younger version.

Although someone did mention that Olli wasnt too happy with the club after his exit interview, so he might already know.

First and foremost I hope Trainor is ok. As an afterthought, that is the worst possible news for us.

Doubtful anyone will spend a top 6 pick on such a risk now and we probably can't either. Just as it looks like we'll still get 2 of the top ones, we may have to decide between Lalor/Trainor (injury risks) and reaching for one of the second tier (still very good) prospects. 5 & 6 would've had me sleeping so much better at night.

We’ll be pretty happy if we walk away with Lalor and Reid, seems as though they have complimentary traits and I agree that Phillipou is the third foil.

Throw in the grit of a Windhager and Garcia, and the outside spread of Nasiah and Wilson, and that’s a really promising core of young mids.

Let Owens and Henry roam forward and mid. Clark Mid/HB.

If someone like Shoenmaker comes on you also have another line breaking kick to rebound. If Collard comes on you have more X factor forward too. Imagine if Keeler filled out into his potential, that would be an outrageously talented young core. Much water to go under the bridge obviously.

We get that right, and I’d say we’re looking for a young key back next, and a ruck (but they can come from anywhere). Pretty promising times ahead if we get this draft right… of course I’m sure the future will turn out in weird and whacky ways regardless, but no doubts this will be a sliding doors off season for us

P.s. if we spend even the mere potentiality of this future away on someone like Houston, I will be gutted. Bringing in players like that should be FA, or 2nd round picks and beyond only. Henry and Higgins are examples of trading in established players right. Young, inexpensive and talented. Steele was another. I think the Club is on the ball with this stuff but I harbour my doubts over SOS and Gubby, so let’s see.
Peatling could be the next one of those cheap gets. Started to really come on for the giants lately and they've offered a contract but reading between the lines he can probably get more elsewhere.

Really rate Trainor very highly, and I really hope he has a long successful and healthy career, but once bitten twice shy.

If only one of those "top 7" mids is going to be available at 7+8 then trading 8 for Houston becomes a lot more palatable. We'd still have an early second rounder to use on another mid. If we keep the pick I think we'd need to try to split it, which might be difficult, and failing that we'd be reaching for someone like Travaglia, which I'd still be more than happy with.

Assuming we even get pick 8 in the first place of course...

Houston is a great player and you'd love to have him if the core of your list was in a strong place and he was in the right life stage. Going to take a first rounder + and I think the club and most supporters want to go to the draft. Can't see it happening.

McCrae would be a good alternative, in some ways a better option. Won't cost too much, immediately strengthens mids, a good type to let young players develop around.

If we have 7 and 8 I think the club just has to stay the course they have set out and take two best mids available or try and trade up for pick 2.....although in this draft that does not seem to make a lot of sense.

Houston is a great player and you'd love to have him if the core of your list was in a strong place and he was in the right life stage. Going to take a first rounder + and I think the club and most supporters want to go to the draft. Can't see it happening.

McCrae would be a good alternative, in some ways a better option. Won't cost too much, immediately strengthens mids, a good type to let young players develop around.

If we have 7 and 8 I think the club just has to stay the course they have set out and take two best mids available or try and trade up for pick 2.....although in this draft that does not seem to make a lot of sense.

If Trainor is now a risk with a concussion history, and without him there is a clear top 7 (FOS, Smith, Smilie, Langford, Lalor, Reid and Draper), then does it open up the option of trading-up and potentially diluting pick 8 to a later pick?

Or is the top echelon of mids in this draft deeper than that? Is there a bolter who is now genuinely in the above category? (rather than being a reach).

If Trainor is now a risk with a concussion history, and without him there is a clear top 7 (FOS, Smith, Smilie, Langford, Lalor, Reid and Draper), then does it open up the option of trading-up and potentially diluting pick 8 to a later pick?

Or is the top echelon of mids in this draft deeper than that? Is there a bolter who is now genuinely in the above category? (rather than being a reach).

I'd be pretty happy to see something like Pick 8 to GWS for 15 and Leek Aleer, their pick should be the sweet spot for a lot of peoples non top 8 favourites on here.

I'd be pretty happy to see something like Pick 8 to GWS for 15 and Leek Aleer, their pick should be the sweet spot for a lot of peoples non top 8 favourites on here.
Won’t happen, they’d want a lot more for Leek

Caruso is also on record saying they’ll probably be picking in the late teens range again to target sliders

It will be interesting to see how they approach it. Will Trainor slide now? And if we want an extra first round pick do we split 8 or try to move 24 up?
At the moment Gold Coast are the only side with multiple picks in that range but once trades are done the Tigers will have a bunch of picks in the top 30. I can't see them using all of them in the draft so they could be interested in consolidating two for pick 8. I'm hoping they get 13 & 16 and we can target them.
Interesting times.

I think Harry Armstrong is firming as a top 7 contender

It will be interesting to see how they approach it. Will Trainor slide now? And if we want an extra first round pick do we split 8 or try to move 24 up?
At the moment Gold Coast are the only side with multiple picks in that range but once trades are done the Tigers will have a bunch of picks in the top 30. I can't see them using all of them in the draft so they could be interested in consolidating two for pick 8. I'm hoping they get 13 & 16 and we can target them.
Interesting times.

I was totally open to us taking Trainor until i read that .
However good or bad McCartin was, he'd still have a role at our team if it wasn't for Concussion.
Billy Longer may have still been back up ruck if not for concussion. ( Better than playing musical ruckmen).
Its even possible Koby Stevens may still have been playing.
Drafting someone with that history just rings alarm bells for me . If clubs feel the same way he may well slide a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was totally open to us taking Trainor until i read that .
However good or bad McCartin was, he'd still have a role at our team if it wasn't for Concussion.
Billy Longer may have still been back up ruck if not for concussion. ( Better than playing musical ruckmen).
Its even possible Koby Stevens may still have been playing.
Drafting someone with that history just rings alarm bells for me . If clubs feel the same way he may well slide a lot.
McCartin was stellar in the backline for the Swans. Would easily cover Battle’s role.
Koby Stevens was an understated loss. He was paying overs in his short stint for Richo.

As for concussion history nowadays and going forward…gee..bares not to think about
Would one concussion now equal 100K off your potential salary? Three and you are untradeable, four and you are retired?
Maybe, one small silver lining would be ‘sorry money’ from the AFL to see you out the door? (Flip side, please no class action in 2042)

Peatling could be the next one of those cheap gets. Started to really come on for the giants lately and they've offered a contract but reading between the lines he can probably get more elsewhere.
Just depends on cost. I’m dubious that he has that much growth in his game left and we already have decent but not great mids like Clark and Dow, young guys like Pou, Windy and Garcia that need mid development time, and I suspect that clubs would be clamouring more for Windy than Peatling. (Just using Windy as an eg).

After reading the trade thread its looking like we are chance of landing Jack McRae and Adam Cerra 24yo so that may alter who we look at at our early picks. Lets not forget Armstrong is rated top #5 and I reckon plenty will highly rate Travaglia. Plus there are other players like Jack Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Joe Berry, Cooper Hynes and the WA lads who have huge games since the championships.

For us lets not forget Josh Smillie will be still on the board, as much as I question his game. But gees it would be nice to have a midfielder who could become a marking danger around the ground ala Bontempelli. Some dont rate Taj Hotton as high but I feel if he had of played out the season he would have been pushing for the No 1 spot. Remember we took Max King at #4 at the draft after he had suffered an ACL injury mid year, so its not as defining as it has been. Id be more concerned on Trainor with his now public history of serious concussions.

If I was to pick a Dalrymple smokey it would be Hamish Davis from WA, perhaps later in the draft. For some reason he has a knack of grabbing value kids out of WA.

Last edited:
Interesting watch for next year's draft will be Matteas's brother .... Jevan Phillpou

Playing for Woodville-West Torrens Eagles U18 side this year as a bottom ager and had 19 disposals and 1 goal last weekend in their Prelim Final match against minor Premiers Glenelg which they won by 49pts ..... now in this weekends (Sunday) GF v Centrals

He is touted at this stage to go around pick 10 - 20

He is listed around 180 to 182cm but may still have a growth spurt coming given his bro is 190+ and his father was tall as well

This year as a bottom ager (born end of March 2007) in the U18 SANFL he has played 16 games and averaged 18 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 3 clearances and has kicked 19 goals .... not sure of his exact position but seems to be playing as a high half forward and could transition to mid next year ... his draft year

He could be around our 1st pick .... if we don't trade it ..... given his brother is with us he could be a watch going forward

Scouting Notes from the weekends Prelim below ....

#16 Jevan Phillipou

Stats: 19 disposals, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Phillipou was back to his usual self on Saturday, providing a capable link-up option on the attack and also getting dangerous inside 50. The bottom-ager’s clean hands and ability to lose opponents with pirouettes helped manufacture chances on goal, either by snapping towards the big sticks or centring to the hot spot. Phillipou was not afraid to use either foot and got good range on some of his kicks, although he shanked a 50m set shot after the half time siren and copped a nasty falcon hitting up at a bouncing ball in term four.

Also some highlights below from an U18 game earlier in the year (Round 2) where he kicked 4 Goals and got 25 Disposals 14 Marks

He has also had games of 36D / 29D / 27D /26D ..... but his 2 games before the Prelim he only got 1 & 2 possessions... not sure what happened there but those dropped his overall disposal average below 20

Link to his U18 SANFL stats per game below

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/woodville-west-torrens/1032354/?league=u18&season=2024

Interesting watch for next year's draft will be Matteas's brother .... Jevan Phillpou

Playing for Woodville-West Torrens Eagles U18 side this year as a bottom ager and had 19 disposals and 1 goal last weekend in their Prelim Final match against minor Premiers Glenelg which they won by 49pts ..... now in this weekends (Sunday) GF v Centrals

He is touted at this stage to go around pick 10 - 20

He is listed around 180 to 182cm but may still have a growth spurt coming given his bro is 190+ and his father was tall as well

This year as a bottom ager (born end of March 2007) in the U18 SANFL he has played 16 games and averaged 18 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 3 clearances and has kicked 19 goals .... not sure of his exact position but seems to be playing as a high half forward and could transition to mid next year ... his draft year

He could be around our 1st pick .... if we don't trade it ..... given his brother is with us he could be a watch going forward

Scouting Notes from the weekends Prelim below ....

#16 Jevan Phillipou

Stats: 19 disposals, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Phillipou was back to his usual self on Saturday, providing a capable link-up option on the attack and also getting dangerous inside 50. The bottom-ager’s clean hands and ability to lose opponents with pirouettes helped manufacture chances on goal, either by snapping towards the big sticks or centring to the hot spot. Phillipou was not afraid to use either foot and got good range on some of his kicks, although he shanked a 50m set shot after the half time siren and copped a nasty falcon hitting up at a bouncing ball in term four.

Also some highlights below from an U18 game earlier in the year (Round 2) where he kicked 4 Goals and got 25 Disposals 14 Marks

He has also had games of 36D / 29D / 27D /26D ..... but his 2 games before the Prelim he only got 1 & 2 possessions... not sure what happened there but those dropped his overall disposal average below 20

Link to his U18 SANFL stats per game below

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/woodville-west-torrens/1032354/?league=u18&season=2024

Interestingly not in the sizeable squad for the U17 Future stars game v the U18s. Neither is Wakelin.

Interestingly not in the sizeable squad for the U17 Future stars game v the U18s. Neither is Wakelin.
He did make the SANFL futures squad but yes missed the U17 squad for the Futures game

Breakdown of U17 Stars squad - 46 players

VicM - 10
WA - 7
SA - 7
VicC - 6
NSW/ACT - 6
QLD - 6
Tas - 2
NT - 2

Guess they have to have a spread from everywhere .... doesn't mean he isn't a Top 20 chance .... just means he could be flying under the radar

Will be keeping an eye on both he and Gil either way

After reading the trade thread its looking like we are chance of landing Jack McRae and Adam Cerra 24yo so that may alter who we look at at our early picks. Lets not forget Armstrong is rated top #5 and I reckon plenty will highly rate Travaglia. Plus there are other players like Jack Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Joe Berry, Cooper Hynes and the WA lads who have huge games since the championships.

For us lets not forget Josh Smillie will be still on the board, as much as I question his game. But gees it would be nice to have a midfielder who could become a marking danger around the ground ala Bontempelli. Some dont rate Taj Hotton as high but I feel if he had of played out the season he would have been pushing for the No 1 spot. Remember we took Max King at #4 at the draft after he had suffered an ACL injury mid year, so its not as defining as it has been. Id be more concerned on Trainor with his now public history of serious concussions.

If I was to pick a Dalrymple smokey it would be Hamish Davis from WA, perhaps later in the draft. For some reason he has a knack of grabbing value kids out of WA.
I would hope very much that McRae doesn't affect who we draft one iota. He's nothing more than a stopgap until the kids come on. The draft is part of "the kids".

I am still kind of figuring out our Pou, and I’m kind of thinking we had a case of ‘hyPOUmania’ last season and kept playing him long, long past when the returns in the field justified it. And again at the beginning of this season. My scheming mind got to thinking it was about filling quotas and minutes for contract negotiations etc. (I wondered about Mitchito at times for the same reason this year)

He looks like a player for sure, but I am wary of one dark day in June, some South Australian magnet man with a hat and a dark suit wondering over to him with a big fat chequebook, telling him to come join his brother ..

Remember this year was when him and Owens would really blossom? Didn’t happen. So I’m going with the sophomore blues theory.

I would hope very much that McRae doesn't affect who we draft one iota. He's nothing more than a stopgap until the kids come on. The draft is part of "the kids".

That's goes without needing to be said I would have thought, he is replacing Ross or Crouch. Cerra IF it happens will though given his age profile.

Is this Cerra talk based off the fox article about him potentially being gettable or are there genuine links with us?

I am still kind of figuring out our Pou, and I’m kind of thinking we had a case of ‘hyPOUmania’ last season and kept playing him long, long past when the returns in the field justified it. And again at the beginning of this season. My scheming mind got to thinking it was about filling quotas and minutes for contract negotiations etc. (I wondered about Mitchito at times for the same reason this year)

He looks like a player for sure, but I am wary of one dark day in June, some South Australian magnet man with a hat and a dark suit wondering over to him with a big fat chequebook, telling him to come join his brother ..

Remember this year was when him and Owens would really blossom? Didn’t happen. So I’m going with the sophomore blues theory.
Pou & Owens are tracking just fine

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back