2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this Cerra talk based off the fox article about him potentially being gettable or are there genuine links with us?
Think the Bluescum may have to shed some $$ to get in Houston ... if that's what they are looking at .... Cerra looks to be the most expendable given his shite year (injury related) .... likely just to be journos throwing shite around as usual

I am still kind of figuring out our Pou, and I’m kind of thinking we had a case of ‘hyPOUmania’ last season and kept playing him long, long past when the returns in the field justified it. And again at the beginning of this season. My scheming mind got to thinking it was about filling quotas and minutes for contract negotiations etc. (I wondered about Mitchito at times for the same reason this year)

He looks like a player for sure, but I am wary of one dark day in June, some South Australian magnet man with a hat and a dark suit wondering over to him with a big fat chequebook, telling him to come join his brother ..

Remember this year was when him and Owens would really blossom? Didn’t happen. So I’m going with the sophomore blues theory.

Feels like he's a bit of a sacred cow on here and maybe I'll have to turn off the replies but I'd be putting the feelers out to Adelaide to see what they'd be willing to part with for him, they've been very keen in the past. I hope I'm very wrong but there's a possibility that his currency might never be higher, his last couple of months was extremely good (when fit & healthy) and showed a real glimpse of his potential. If pick 4 is on the table and Rachele wants out then it's worth a chat, not that I am a huge wrap for Rachele.

Frustrating it took so long to drop him back to the VFL, lo and behold he came back a completely different player. There are certain aspects of his game which still look pretty iffy to me. Misjudges and runs under the flight of the ball quite a lot, and his kicking can be hit and miss, set shots in particular. The physical side of the game doesn't seem to come very naturally to him, but he gets a pass given his age. Couldn't unsee the Fiora in him until the second half of the year. He seems better prepared to take the contact now than he was with his panicky handballs earlier on. Super driven and certainly marches to the beat of his own drum, which everyone will have their own opinions about.

More than happy to keep on developing him, I think he's tracking very nicely again and will likely be a great player for us, but nothing is a given and he shouldn't be untouchable if the Crows put together an offer too good to refuse. It'd want to be a fraction better than the straight swap for Soldo suggestion I saw on the Port board.

Interesting watch for next year's draft will be Matteas's brother .... Jevan Phillpou

Playing for Woodville-West Torrens Eagles U18 side this year as a bottom ager and had 19 disposals and 1 goal last weekend in their Prelim Final match against minor Premiers Glenelg which they won by 49pts ..... now in this weekends (Sunday) GF v Centrals

He is touted at this stage to go around pick 10 - 20

He is listed around 180 to 182cm but may still have a growth spurt coming given his bro is 190+ and his father was tall as well

This year as a bottom ager (born end of March 2007) in the U18 SANFL he has played 16 games and averaged 18 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 3 clearances and has kicked 19 goals .... not sure of his exact position but seems to be playing as a high half forward and could transition to mid next year ... his draft year

He could be around our 1st pick .... if we don't trade it ..... given his brother is with us he could be a watch going forward

Scouting Notes from the weekends Prelim below ....

#16 Jevan Phillipou

Stats: 19 disposals, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Phillipou was back to his usual self on Saturday, providing a capable link-up option on the attack and also getting dangerous inside 50. The bottom-ager’s clean hands and ability to lose opponents with pirouettes helped manufacture chances on goal, either by snapping towards the big sticks or centring to the hot spot. Phillipou was not afraid to use either foot and got good range on some of his kicks, although he shanked a 50m set shot after the half time siren and copped a nasty falcon hitting up at a bouncing ball in term four.

Also some highlights below from an U18 game earlier in the year (Round 2) where he kicked 4 Goals and got 25 Disposals 14 Marks

He has also had games of 36D / 29D / 27D /26D ..... but his 2 games before the Prelim he only got 1 & 2 possessions... not sure what happened there but those dropped his overall disposal average below 20

Link to his U18 SANFL stats per game below

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/woodville-west-torrens/1032354/?league=u18&season=2024

I’ve seen enough, Super Phillipou brothers dynasty at the Saints

Feels like he's a bit of a sacred cow on here and maybe I'll have to turn off the replies but I'd be putting the feelers out to Adelaide to see what they'd be willing to part with for him, they've been very keen in the past. I hope I'm very wrong but there's a possibility that his currency might never be higher, his last couple of months was extremely good (when fit & healthy) and showed a real glimpse of his potential. If pick 4 is on the table and Rachele wants out then it's worth a chat, not that I am a huge wrap for Rachele.

Frustrating it took so long to drop him back to the VFL, lo and behold he came back a completely different player. There are certain aspects of his game which still look pretty iffy to me. Misjudges and runs under the flight of the ball quite a lot, and his kicking can be hit and miss, set shots in particular. The physical side of the game doesn't seem to come very naturally to him, but he gets a pass given his age. Couldn't unsee the Fiora in him until the second half of the year. He seems better prepared to take the contact now than he was with his panicky handballs earlier on. Super driven and certainly marches to the beat of his own drum, which everyone will have their own opinions about.

More than happy to keep on developing him, I think he's tracking very nicely again and will likely be a great player for us, but nothing is a given and he shouldn't be untouchable if the Crows put together an offer too good to refuse. It'd want to be a fraction better than the straight swap for Soldo suggestion I saw on the Port board.

I am all for discussion and no one is un-trade-able for the right price. (Yes even King) but I think we would be making a big mistake to trade him. I think you are suffering from the grass is always greener. He has an elite mindset, is effectively the same age as draftees from 2023, shown he has the mental fortitude to cop a dropping and come back stronger and relentless work rate to improve and soak up knowledge like a sponge. Give him some pre-seasons to put on a bit of bulk and strength and he will be our best player out of the middle.

If he was traded it would be to Port Adelaide (his childhood club) and likely we would be screwed on what we got back ala North Melbourne/Horne-Francis situation. I remember he made a point that he was NOT going to do pull a Horne-Francis in some interviews I saw. (Without naming directly JHF)

As a former Adelaide-turned Melbourne resident I wouldn’t go back I get the feeling he might be the same.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pfft, nice try Justin Reid, list manger of the Adelaide Crows

I am still kind of figuring out our Pou, and I’m kind of thinking we had a case of ‘hyPOUmania’ last season and kept playing him long, long past when the returns in the field justified it. And again at the beginning of this season. My scheming mind got to thinking it was about filling quotas and minutes for contract negotiations etc. (I wondered about Mitchito at times for the same reason this year)

He looks like a player for sure, but I am wary of one dark day in June, some South Australian magnet man with a hat and a dark suit wondering over to him with a big fat chequebook, telling him to come join his brother ..

Remember this year was when him and Owens would really blossom? Didn’t happen. So I’m going with the sophomore blues theory.
RTB despite the gruff exterior is extremely patient. Since we're on a development journey l would speculate that he allowed Pou to come to his own conclusions rather than "send" him to the 2's.
Supporters also expect knee-jerk reactions over every little thing whereas allowing players to work through their issues is interpreted as coaches doing nothing or not seeing the issue in the first place. There's nothing wrong with struggle, it builds resilience. Billings was let off the hook and never came back from it.
We saw Chito pick up in form towards the end of the season after looking lost for most of it, and perhaps that's a necessary part of his growth.
RTB also gave Bonner every chance to extend his career but Riley couldn’t grow.

Discussion point: If we had Pick 1 (and didn't trade it out) who would your pick be?

I am now a firm believer that Jagga Smith is by far my clear number 1 pick he just reminds me so much of Nick Daicos in his draft year. I think the only weakness is how skinny he is but that will change and then he will be a force in the AFL.

Discussion point: If we had Pick 1 (and didn't trade it out) who would your pick be?

I am now a firm believer that Jagga Smith is by far my clear number 1 pick he just reminds me so much of Nick Daicos in his draft year. I think the only weakness is how skinny he is but that will change and then he will be a force in the AFL.

Levi Ashcroft

I personally would pick Draper. I just like his burst from stoppage, and the way he takes the game on. Can't go wrong with him, Smith, or FOS tho

Murphy Reid

Drafting for us? Draper>smith>fos

3 on Dow, 4 on Stocker, 8 on Saad

Million a year on Zac Wiliams. Similar on the Bitch Stewie McGovern, shit loads on Jack Martin too. SOSage had better not have done those deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be upset if the club took a punt on Taj Hotton earlier than expected at pick #8. ACL's arent great, but with the right rehab, he will be ready to go early next year and a lot have no other problems.

I wonder if the club are waiting to see if they take Taj at the draft before making a decision on Olli? It would be pretty rough delisting the older brother to draft the younger version.

Although someone did mention that Olli wasnt too happy with the club after his exit interview, so he might already know.

Yuck, I would take him with an early teens pick maybe but injured kids are a big mark down for me. I rate FOS but even he makes me very nervous.

Murphy Reid
He is the one for me as well, maybe not the best fit for us but I reckon he'll be enjoyable to watch play for the next decade or so. Hard to find players who are so clean, composed and creative, in a good side he'd be a real point of difference. Trots around like he's out for a Sunday stroll but I reckon there's a yard of pace hidden in there too. Really hope he slips through to 7, he's likely a good foil for whoever is still there at 8.

I reckon Smith has the lowest bust factor and his size won't be an issue at all, I'd say he's more lean than skinny if that makes any sense, knows how to find the pill and has become more damaging with it. He would be a very safe bet at #1.

My order would be something like Reid, Smith, Lalor, FOS, Draper. Then Smillie and Langford a rung below, but honestly I reckon you could justify picking any of them, they all have unique things to offer and different queries on them. Going to be a fascinating watch.

Ross I think would be the first to admit he played POu to long. Ultimatly, the VFL time served him superbly, he caem back looking like someone who could seriously develop into one of our best mids. IMO in the Sydney game and Adelaide game he was our best player and one of our best i the other two games.

I just get a funny feeling the Crows won’t pick Draper and he will slide a bit.

Twomey has mentioned previously Langford Lalor and Armstrong pushing up towards the top 5. I assume FOS and Smith will also both be in the top 5. With Reid pushing his case late in the season there someone has to slide. Could be a chance Draper slides to our pick. My fingers are crossed for it.

Draper's stats for his 6 senior level SANFL games in 2024:handpointdown: ...... he also played 3 last year

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/south-adelaide/1022607/?league=sanfl&season=2024

This year has averaged 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances per game .... only kicked 2 goals and doesn't take many marks ... only 2 per game

Not bad stats but haven't viewed any highlights so can't comment on how influential he was / his effciency / impact

Twomey has mentioned previously Langford Lalor and Armstrong pushing up towards the top 5. I assume FOS and Smith will also both be in the top 5. With Reid pushing his case late in the season there someone has to slide. Could be a chance Draper slides to our pick. My fingers are crossed for it.
The Crows going for the Horne-Francis Gambit? Risking that Drapes will want to come home after a couple of years in Vic? I like it!

He is the one for me as well, maybe not the best fit for us but I reckon he'll be enjoyable to watch play for the next decade or so. Hard to find players who are so clean, composed and creative, in a good side he'd be a real point of difference. Trots around like he's out for a Sunday stroll but I reckon there's a yard of pace hidden in there too. Really hope he slips through to 7, he's likely a good foil for whoever is still there at 8.

I reckon Smith has the lowest bust factor and his size won't be an issue at all, I'd say he's more lean than skinny if that makes any sense, knows how to find the pill and has become more damaging with it. He would be a very safe bet at #1.

My order would be something like Reid, Smith, Lalor, FOS, Draper. Then Smillie and Langford a rung below, but honestly I reckon you could justify picking any of them, they all have unique things to offer and different queries on them. Going to be a fascinating watch.
Hard to see him sliding to us with his late form. Looks like an absolute gun.

Because West Coast will take Draper

Draper's stats for his 6 senior level SANFL games in 2024:handpointdown: ...... he also played 3 last year

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/south-adelaide/1022607/?league=sanfl&season=2024

This year has averaged 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances per game .... only kicked 2 goals and doesn't take many marks ... only 2 per game

Not bad stats but haven't viewed any highlights so can't comment on how influential he was / his effciency / impact

I don't mind him but not as excited by him as others are. There is something a bit vanilla about him. I think he'll be a good player but perhaps not have that absolute star factor. He's not a super contested inside mid, I'd say he's a balanced mid like a Steele type of game. He's neat, got a bit of class but not heaps, he's probably low bust factor again. He suits Adelaide a lot because they have a lot grunt but lack a bit of polish. I think he's got that. He's one that attitude will be the thing that makes him a champion, not pure talent.

Murphy Reid filled out the stat sheet very nicely in another excellent performance as he and his Sandy Dragons continue their march towards potentially another flag. When the conditions get breezy, it just allows Murphy to separate himself from the rest, showing his class and elite control of the footy. He hit targets with ease and made a couple of his goals look simple from difficult opportunities. His clearance work is worth highlighting this week, his movement and clean hands at ground level was elite and he applied defensive pressure which hasn't always been a strength.

Murphy Reid filled out the stat sheet very nicely in another excellent performance as he and his Sandy Dragons continue their march towards potentially another flag. When the conditions get breezy, it just allows Murphy to separate himself from the rest, showing his class and elite control of the footy. He hit targets with ease and made a couple of his goals look simple from difficult opportunities. His clearance work is worth highlighting this week, his movement and clean hands at ground level was elite and he applied defensive pressure which hasn't always been a strength.

Looks and plays like Hunter Clark Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back