2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

might have to do these a bit more next year i think

Scouting Notes: 2024 WAFL Colts – Semi Finals​

Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League – Quarter Finals (Metro)​

Scouting Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League – Quarter Finals (Country)​

Scouting Notes: 2024 SANFL U18s – Preliminary Final​

Feels like he's a bit of a sacred cow on here and maybe I'll have to turn off the replies but I'd be putting the feelers out to Adelaide to see what they'd be willing to part with for him, they've been very keen in the past. I hope I'm very wrong but there's a possibility that his currency might never be higher, his last couple of months was extremely good (when fit & healthy) and showed a real glimpse of his potential. If pick 4 is on the table and Rachele wants out then it's worth a chat, not that I am a huge wrap for Rachele.

Frustrating it took so long to drop him back to the VFL, lo and behold he came back a completely different player. There are certain aspects of his game which still look pretty iffy to me. Misjudges and runs under the flight of the ball quite a lot, and his kicking can be hit and miss, set shots in particular. The physical side of the game doesn't seem to come very naturally to him, but he gets a pass given his age. Couldn't unsee the Fiora in him until the second half of the year. He seems better prepared to take the contact now than he was with his panicky handballs earlier on. Super driven and certainly marches to the beat of his own drum, which everyone will have their own opinions about.

More than happy to keep on developing him, I think he's tracking very nicely again and will likely be a great player for us, but nothing is a given and he shouldn't be untouchable if the Crows put together an offer too good to refuse. It'd want to be a fraction better than the straight swap for Soldo suggestion I saw on the Port board.
We’d be nuts to get rid of him. Full stop.

Of course he’s got “iffy” aspects of his game. He’s a baby. But you saw what the development in the vfl did for him.

We finally get a young, very promising player, with a lot of self-belief and who works his backside off by all accounts, and you’re shipping him off to Adelaide?

I reckon North reach for Smillie.
aBrcxX.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’d be nuts to get rid of him. Full stop.

Of course he’s got “iffy” aspects of his game. He’s a baby. But you saw what the development in the vfl did for him.

We finally get a young, very promising player, with a lot of self-belief and who works his backside off by all accounts, and you’re shipping him off to Adelaide?
He absolutely could be anything, but I think I'm just a little less convinced that he'll develop into a genuine A grader than most. If Adelaide really want Rachele out and offered something like 4 + Rachele for Pou + 24 I'd give it some serious thought. Not sure the Crows or anyone else here would. Buy low sell high. Happy to revisit this in 10 years' time when he's a three-time Norm Smith medallist and I look like more of a goose than I already do.

Spoke briefly with a friend in club circles and it was interesting to hear the fairly definitive notion of “if you take a top 10 pick you’re wanting them playing/eligible straight away”.

Who would we draft at 7/8 that we could feasibly see playing instantly in 2025?
Ivan Soldo's "girlfriend"

He absolutely could be anything, but I think I'm just a little less convinced that he'll develop into a genuine A grader than most. If Adelaide really want Rachele out and offered something like 4 + Rachele for Pou + 24 I'd give it some serious thought. Not sure the Crows or anyone else here would. Buy low sell high. Happy to revisit this in 10 years' time when he's a three-time Norm Smith medallist and I look like more of a goose than I already do.
I'm a lot more confident about Phillipou reaching elite levels than I am about Owens doing the same. I love both players but I can see Mitch becoming a solid A-grade contributor without driving himself to be the absolute best. Matteas won't rest until he is topping the comp IMO. He might not get there, but his hunger to improve will give him the best chance. I hope both of them become elite, but that's my feeling.

Spoke briefly with a friend in club circles and it was interesting to hear the fairly definitive notion of “if you take a top 10 pick you’re wanting them playing/eligible straight away”.

Who would we draft at 7/8 that we could feasibly see playing instantly in 2025?
Was curious about this, and your friend's theory checks out.

By my count since 2016 only 3 top 10 players haven't debuted in their first year - Rankine (hamstring / hip injuries), King (ACL / ankle) and Hollands (ACL recovery / ??). Thought it might've been more. In that same timeframe there's 25 in the 11-20 range, and 33 in the 21-30 (approximate figures as I've been too lazy to put the 2023 draft into my database).

In terms of 7/8 the choice will largely be made for us, but off the top of my head I don't think any of the names being floated around that mark would struggle to come in and have immediate impact.

Your stats are a guide but there are huge variations between individual drafts. It’s like looking at a game where Byrnes gets 25 disposals and so does Bont and then extrapolating that Byrnes is just as good. Moving up is the right move in some drafts. Not this one. I think you are halving your chances not increasing them.
My equivalent to your parable is Bartel and Heppell both hitting at pick 8. One much more accomplished than the other, sure. However, I am not concerned with how much of a hit someone is, just whether it is a hit for that pick based upon an obvious median benchmark.

Anyway, yes it is a guide but it I’ll back history until history changes (thanks Hoyne).

Last 12 years; (excluding undraftables)

2022 - 2
2. Sheezal vs 7. Clark 8. Ginbey
2021 - 2 (only just)
2. Callaghan vs 7. Amiss 8. Gibcus
2020 - Draw
2. Phillips vs 7. Hollands 8. Cox
2019 7+8
2. Anderson vs 7. Young 8. Serong
2018 - Draw
2. Lukocius vs 7. Smith 8. Thomas
2017 - 2
2. Brayshaw vs 7. Clark 8. Coffield
2016 - 2
2. Taranto vs 7. Scrimshaw 8. Logue
2015 - Draw
2. Shache vs 7. Ah Chee 8. Weirder man
2014 - 2
2. Petracca vs 7. Ahern 8. Wright
2013 - 2
2. Kelly vs 7. Aish 8. McDonald
2012 - 7+8
2. O’Rourke vs 7. Wines 8. Mayes
2011 - 2
2. Coniglio vs 7. Haynes 8. Longer

Scoreboard:

Pick 2 = 7/12
Draw/wash = 3/12
Pick 7+8 = 2/12

With so much more vision available currently, there’s a lot less doubt and more opportunity to assess players. Much more of an exact science compared with the previous decade which was much closer to 50/50.

I think my final thought (I’m sure everyone is sick of me flogging the Lilly) would be that every year differs as you say but ultimately the stats prove it’s better to have the higher pick because perceptions can and have been wrong.

A top few will crystallize by draft night and we will be fumbling about trying to shuffle 8 back or trading it for a soon to be has been. Could just take the punt on who’s available but we could take less of a punt by moving on up and taking best available.

I'm a lot more confident about Phillipou reaching elite levels than I am about Owens doing the same. I love both players but I can see Mitch becoming a solid A-grade contributor without driving himself to be the absolute best. Matteas won't rest until he is topping the comp IMO. He might not get there, but his hunger to improve will give him the best chance. I hope both of them become elite, but that's my feeling.
Going to sound completely contradictory here, but I agree with you, which might say more about Owens than anything (and don't worry I love him too and don't want to trade him - that would be selling low). I don't have any issues with his attitude or professionalism, but it certainly feels like he regressed this year.

I'm quietly hoping he was dealing with some OP issues or something of that nature, looked like he was dragging a tyre from the waist for most of the year. Would explain some of the reluctance to run him through the middle as well. The year prior had me as excited about a young player as I can remember. Shows how quickly things can change, but he still has plenty of time

Going to sound completely contradictory here, but I agree with you, which might say more about Owens than anything (and don't worry I love him too and don't want to trade him - that would be selling low). I don't have any issues with his attitude or professionalism, but it certainly feels like he regressed this year.

I'm quietly hoping he was dealing with some OP issues or something of that like he was dragging a tyre from the waist for most of the year. Would explain some of the reluctance to run him through the middle as well. The year prior had me as excited about a young player as I can remember. Shows how quickly things can change, but he still has plenty of time
One thing he absolutely must sort out is his kicking. I think it was clear that his confidence suffered from missing so many shots early on. There's so much to love about his game, but if he can't finish his work off, he'll have more years like 2024 and less 2023.

Some posters have said his technique is awful, and others have said the problem is he doesn't have a technique. He scored 20.14 from 23 games this year compared to 26.16 from 23 last year, but it felt like he was a lot more accurate last year, not sure why.

Last edited:
Ive watched Rachelle and my crows mate reckons he's okay.. definitley the steak knives in this deal. At this point I would want two firsts top 5 pick and a later first to even consider a Pou deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back