2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like Lalor is being considered by Richmond at pick 1. In any event they would swoop on him at 6 (Rioli pick) if he slid that far.

Smillie sounds like he will likely slide to us. A Smillie and Lindsay combo would be perfect. An inside bull and a classy two way runner. Both capable of playing a different role each in the guts.

Agree.

Unless Lalor, Fossil or Jagga somehow slide a Smilie/Lindsay combo ticks a lot of best available/most needed boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on Reid?

Looks a classy bugger, I reckon hed look nice next to Smillie and Pou.
I’m no draft expert so take it with a grain of salt. But from the footage I’ve watched he looks very small in comparison to other mids in his age group and gets pushed off the ball quite easily. But he’s very clean and neat enough skills. Some think he will most likely make it as a small forward at AFL level. I’d compare him to Lachie Hunter. He’s probably in the Lindsay range by most draft experts although Twomey rates him a bit higher than most. Based on my amateur assessment it’s a pass.

Almost certainly gone by our 2nd rounder unfortunately.
Looks a better forward half version of Jai Newcombe.

This is the types I would be open to trading back with 8 to get 2 of Lindsay, Hannaford, Hotton, Shanahan, Hynes or a Whitlock brother.

If we end up with one of the mids left with or second choice being from talls or Travaglia/Bo Allen I think we should be trading back.

It sounds like Lalor is being considered by Richmond at pick 1. In any event they would swoop on him at 6 (Rioli pick) if he slid that far.

Smillie sounds like he will likely slide to us. A Smillie and Lindsay combo would be perfect. An inside bull and a classy two way runner. Both capable of playing a different role each in the guts.
Seems as though if Richmond trade up into 2 or 3 then it’s likely to be FOS and Lalor, possibly Langford, possibly Smith. Basically a raffle 😂. But if they hold 6 then Smilie would be right in the frame.

This is the types I would be open to trading back with 8 to get 2 of Lindsay, Hannaford, Hotton, Shanahan, Hynes or a Whitlock brother.

If we end up with one of the mids left with or second choice being from talls or Travaglia/Bo Allen I think we should be trading back.
Imo plays like Jack Higgins with better technique. Good overhead despite small size and very dynamic. Maybe a mix of Jack Higgins and Liam Henry

Seems as though if Richmond trade up into 2 or 3 then it’s likely to be FOS and Lalor, possibly Langford, possibly Smith. Basically a raffle 😂. But if they hold 6 then Smilie would be right in the frame.

Yeah it’s still very unclear. Lalor getting linked to the Tigers cos he’s a natural Dusty replacement but FOS seems to be the most highly rated with other clubs rumoured to be trying to move up the draft to select him. But all rumours and nothing directly from the clubs.

I wonder what sort of offers we might get in a live trade for Pick 8 (11) if this is how it pans out

Richmond - Pick 1 - Sam Lalor
Brisbane - Pick 2 - Levi Ashcroft
North Melbourne - Pick 3 - Alix Tauru
West Coast - Pick 4 - Finn O'Sullivan
Adelaide - Pick 5 - Sid Draper
Melbourne - Pick 6 - Harvey Langford
Richmond - Pick 7 - Josh Smillie
Gold Coast - Pick 8 - Leo Lombard
Essendon - Pick 9 - Isaac Kako
St Kilda - Pick Pick 10 - Jagga Smith
St Kilda - Pick - Pick 11 - ?

It's possible Josh Smillie is taken by Richmond and Jagga Smith falls to our pick, in that case I'm not sure we should pair him with a Xavier Lindsay or Murphy Reid, Jagga is too similar of a type (not the exact same)

If it falls like this I'd look at sliding back 8 (11) for two later firsts or a slide and a Future 1st.

I’m no draft expert so take it with a grain of salt. But from the footage I’ve watched he looks very small in comparison to other mids in his age group and gets pushed off the ball quite easily. But he’s very clean and neat enough skills. Some think he will most likely make it as a small forward at AFL level. I’d compare him to Lachie Hunter. He’s probably in the Lindsay range by most draft experts although Twomey rates him a bit higher than most. Based on my amateur assessment it’s a pass.
He looks like a genuine mid to me, but I think you are spot on about his size possibly being an issue. More so his strength than his height.

He'd have to really put in the work in the gym if he's going to be a midfielder at AFL level. If he's got the type of body that will be able to bulk up ok then he'd be ideal.

Has Lindsay shown any attributes in the guts? I get the impression he’s more of an outside winger/flanker player but I have no clue.

Ideally we need 3 very good balanced young core mids for sustained success & development IMO.

Phillipou is as good a prospect as any.

Who can join him?

• Windhager on paper would be the next best bet though niggling injuries have kept him down.
  • Owens currently seems like he’s destined to be more forward than mid.
  • Wilson I’m almost more bullish about than Phillipou though his strengths are more suited to an outside role and up forward.
  • Nasiah is potentially capable, though he would be put to maximal utility on HBF or wing where he could be one of the absolute stars of the competition
  • Garcia has shown a lot of promise but is no sure thing to step up into owning a mid role. He was very impressive this season though.

And then after that you have the slightly older core in Clark, Dow, Henry etc.

All of the above players definitely show heaps of promise to find high utility roles in the best 22, but what’s the engine room we can build around?

By my count, it’s Phillipou and maybe Windhager, and then several very good players who can play across the ground.

I like what this quoted post above says about the contrast between Smillie and Lindsay.

Imagine: Windhager, Phillipou, Smillie.

That’s a lot of size, a lot of burst, plenty of leadership.

Cradle them in with Nasiah, Wilson, Henry, Lindsay, Clark, Owens and thats a quality young core. Let alone if Garcia, Shoenmaker, Keeler etc come on.

7,8 in this draft remains simply such a tipping point for our list. We have no ceiling as a list if we nail it again after the last few years. That’s how teams of sustained success are built.

A very interesting watch on YouTube is “Exclusive: Draft Night drama 2018 AFL National Draft”. It features SOS in charge of the Carlton war room , with them mentioning several times that Liam Stocker was their 6th rated player overall , in a super draft with Walsh , The King Brothers , Rankine , Rozee , Butters , etc. Gee , I hope Ross has SOS on a short leash.

Has Lindsay shown any attributes in the guts? I get the impression he’s more of an outside winger/flanker player but I have no clue.

Ideally we need 3 very good balanced young core mids for sustained success & development IMO.

Phillipou is as good a prospect as any.

Who can join him?

• Windhager on paper would be the next best bet though niggling injuries have kept him down.
  • Owens currently seems like he’s destined to be more forward than mid.
  • Wilson I’m almost more bullish about than Phillipou though his strengths are more suited to an outside role and up forward.
  • Nasiah is potentially capable, though he would be put to maximal utility on HBF or wing where he could be one of the absolute stars of the competition
  • Garcia has shown a lot of promise but is no sure thing to step up into owning a mid role. He was very impressive this season though.

And then after that you have the slightly older core in Clark, Dow, Henry etc.

All of the above players definitely show heaps of promise to find high utility roles in the best 22, but what’s the engine room we can build around?

By my count, it’s Phillipou and maybe Windhager, and then several very good players who can play across the ground.

I like what this quoted post above says about the contrast between Smillie and Lindsay.

Imagine: Windhager, Phillipou, Smillie.

That’s a lot of size, a lot of burst, plenty of leadership.

Cradle them in with Nasiah, Wilson, Henry, Lindsay, Clark, Owens and thats a quality young core. Let alone if Garcia, Shoenmaker, Keeler etc come on.

7,8 in this draft remains simply such a tipping point for our list. We have no ceiling as a list if we nail it again after the last few years. That’s how teams of sustained success are built.
Lindsay averaged more clearances in the CTL than Smillie....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like a genuine mid to me, but I think you are spot on about his size possibly being an issue. More so his strength than his height.

He'd have to really put in the work in the gym if he's going to be a midfielder at AFL level. If he's got the type of body that will be able to bulk up ok then he'd be ideal.
Yea he is very slight. He’s taller than Lombard but Lombard looks like an absolute bull. Jagga also has spaghetti arms and may take a bit of time to get the required strength at AFL level.

I wonder what sort of offers we might get in a live trade for Pick 8 (11) if this is how it pans out

Richmond - Pick 1 - Sam Lalor
Brisbane - Pick 2 - Levi Ashcroft
North Melbourne - Pick 3 - Alix Tauru
West Coast - Pick 4 - Finn O'Sullivan
Adelaide - Pick 5 - Sid Draper
Melbourne - Pick 6 - Harvey Langford
Richmond - Pick 7 - Josh Smillie
Gold Coast - Pick 8 - Leo Lombard
Essendon - Pick 9 - Isaac Kako
St Kilda - Pick Pick 10 - Jagga Smith
St Kilda - Pick - Pick 11 - ?

It's possible Josh Smillie is taken by Richmond and Jagga Smith falls to our pick, in that case I'm not sure we should pair him with a Xavier Lindsay or Murphy Reid, Jagga is too similar of a type (not the exact same)

If it falls like this I'd look at sliding back 8 (11) for two later firsts or a slide and a Future 1st.
Under that scenario I’d either load up and get Lindsay or Travaglia or float a live trade with GWS who are apparently desperate to get Travaglia.

Zak Butters is 180cm and 78kg. compared to say Jack Steele at 187 and 90kgs.
Which one are you taking?
Take the best player regardless of size.

Yeah very much so. Looks like anything from 9 to 20 is ballpark worth a future 1st trade and getting those 2 picks off GWS would be the stuff of dreams. Still, l wouldn't trade with 8 unless we get a bum run.

What the actual ****

Surely not close. Carlton have burned most of their picks so it’s hard to see where they get collateral from. Eagles would be far better off inching their way down if they’re happy to trade down. Melbourne or Richmond might be a start? 5 or 6 for 12 and 14 is probably more ball park.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back